Author Topic: Beam Fire Control Range  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Five (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
Beam Fire Control Range
« on: May 09, 2011, 11:30:26 AM »
I'm a bit confused on the BFC range versus what the range of a Laser(other beam weapon) can be. If i max out Beam Fire Control Range i can get it to 175k and then i can up that to 700k at 50% with FC size vers range. So if i understand it then i can shoot a max of 1.4m..bringing my hit to approx 0% chance. I guess what i want to know is, what is the point of having lasers and others that can shot further then 1.4m...ie lasers is like 20m if the actual max to hit anything is 1.4m? Am i missing something?

thanks for the help

-Five

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Beam Fire Control Range
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 11:37:24 AM »
The max range is the lower of the weapon range or the fire control range.  For weapons like the laser that can far outrange the fire control the benifit you get is doing more than 1 point of damage at that max range.  For example if my laser does 64 points of damage at min range, and has a max range of 20m km then at 1m km I will still be doing 60 points of damage, which will penetrate a lot of armour.  This is the only benifit of using weapons with ranges significantly greater than your fire control range.  The numbers I used above are somewhat arbitrary but the math is correct and should give you an idea of what is going on.

Brian

The following users thanked this post: Cobaia

Offline Five (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
Re: Beam Fire Control Range
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 07:20:13 AM »
Thank you.

-Five