Author Topic: Trouble with setting up new games (C# Aurora)  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Libluini (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • L
Trouble with setting up new games (C# Aurora)
« on: April 17, 2020, 07:32:33 AM »
Hello, completely new player here.

Ages ago I tried the old version of Aurora, but failed a couple times to get into it.  As C# Aurora was released, I tried again and this time, I came a little bit farther, until I corrupted my database by doing something wrong.  (I think. )

But let me start from the beginning:

When trying to set up a new game in Aurora, I wanted to do the following things:

1.  Have a Human NPR set up on Earth
2.  Have an alien race playable in another system
3.  Have a third pre-made alien NPR in a third system

Then my plan was to play with the alien race. 

My first attempt had me accidentally changing the population of Earth to aliens (It took me a while to notice that you should make a new race in the system view using the button "Create Race" and not, as I had thought, by using the Race Window. ) Apparently the Race Window is only for changing existing empires, not making new ones. 

After some re-dos with new games I finally attempted to set the starting race "Humans" to NPR, hoping that way I could concentrate on making the player race without accidentally messing up Sol.  The result was a barrage of error messages.  I got an empty screen, but thought "well I guess I now have to make the new system and species" and so I did.  But after messing around with stats for a while, I backed out of the system view window to save my progress and got more errors.

After saving I noticed the front view was still empty and now I couldn't go back into any submenus: Every attempt to continue working on race or star system just gave the error #155.

Trying to reset this by deleting the broken games and starting new ones now resulted in an endless barrage of errors: #2411, #206, #222, #224, #225, #201.  After about a hundred of those I gave up trying to click my way through and used ctrl+alt+delete to just kill the process.

After restarting, this problem persisted.  I then re-downloaded the game and tried a fresh install.  This basically restored Aurora back to normal, but of course wiped out hours of work! So for now I've decided to not touch anything until I know a little bit more, which is why I registered on this forum and compiled the following list of questions:

1.  When making new species I noticed you can only use Oxygen as a breathable gas.  If you try to force this by putting them on planets without Oxygen, they'll just change to "tolerate" 0% Oxygen.  Can I set up an alien species to breath different gases? I remember this was the case in the old Aurora.

2.  Will making a species adapted to 0% Oxygen cause problems down the line?

3.  Is it even possible to set up a game with a Human NPR on Earth and a playable alien species, or am I trying to attempt something that's functionally impossible?

4.  Why is it possible to set your starting "Human" race to NPR if that immediately breaks the game and corrupts the database? Is this a bug, or just an oversight that you can change your starting race to NPR?

Then there was another question were I wanted to ask why Earth's albedo is 1 and not 0,367, but then I re-read the planet window a bit closer and realized the developer had set Earth's albedo to 1 as standard value.  Man, no wonder my attempt to build new habitable star systems had all my temperatures out of whack by a huge amount.  Hopefully I remember later that Aurora's 1 equals 0,367 in the real world, or I'll keep wondering why all my planets end up too hot/cold, ha ha.

Anyway, I hope someone can help me out before I corrupt the database again.   ;D

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Trouble with setting up new games (C# Aurora)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 07:47:19 AM »
1) Currently inly Ixygen counts as a breathable gas, the old version also had methane breathers, but that feature isn't added yet. I have no idea what would happen to a race that can tolerate 0% oxygen, But it sounds likely to cause problem since they need to breathe 'something'
2) I expect so but I'm sure any problem would be immediately apparent
3) I havent tested this yet . I'll get back to you, but I'm sure thats already possible.
4) It sounds like an oversight if it generates errors, either the errors are wrong or you shouldn't have the option.

I havent tried multiple player controlled empires in the current version so I can't give you more than this for now, but what you're trying to do was possible in the old game. I think you just need to make sure that the first race stays player controlled.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Libluini (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • L
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 12:36:35 PM »
Thanks for the answers!

Looks like I'll have to stay at making Oxygen-breathers for the moment.

Next time I'll make sure to keep the first race player-controlled before starting to experiment.

By the way, is it possible to later switch a player race to become computer-controlled? That would solve a lot of trouble and headaches for me.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 09:12:05 PM »
1) Currently inly Ixygen counts as a breathable gas, the old version also had methane breathers, but that feature isn't added yet. I have no idea what would happen to a race that can tolerate 0% oxygen, But it sounds likely to cause problem since they need to breathe 'something'

Why do you say that?  I certainly created a new race on a Nitro-Methane world. . . though I'll admit I didn't check to see if there was any Oxygen present.  Still, the race managed sixty-plus years before a new patch ended that game.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 09:30:49 PM »
After trawling through every post by Steve it looks I was completely in error.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 09:42:43 PM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Libluini (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • L
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 01:08:19 PM »
Good to hear! I'll try making some non-oxygen breathers next week.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 04:28:41 PM »
This might help you (and others) out:

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, Libluini

Offline Libluini (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • L
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 02:19:33 PM »
Quote from: Garfunkel link=topic=10823. msg126284#msg126284 date=1587418121
This might help you (and others) out:
Not a valid youtube URL

Thanks, I watched this and another of your videos about a similar topic and I think I got this now.  I'll try to set up a game using your guides next.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 12:02:58 AM »
I still regret we can't give anymore colonies to NPR. Hopefully one day Steve will add back this feature, it is almost mandatory if you want to set a multi-NPR start on Earth, simulating power blocks (USA, Russia and affiliates, China etc.).