Author Topic: Hello, thank you and a quick noob question  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Mitchell (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • M
Hello, thank you and a quick noob question
« on: August 07, 2020, 07:41:38 PM »
First, a hearty “Hello” to what looks like a great community from a long-time 4x gamer who just stumbled across this gem.   

Second, thank you to Steve W for sharing with us all what looks like a true labor of love!

I’ve been reading up on the Wiki, reading the forums, and watching tutorial videos (and thanks to SpaceMarine and so many others for those, too!).   I am confused about one thing, though, (well, MANY things, of course) and so want to ask:  When setting up a new game (Playing C# v1. 11), when I set the number of NPR’s to 2, forex, will 2 NPR’s be set up automatically / randomly and be out there waiting for me, or do I need to do some setup myself?

Thanks in advance for insight, and I look forward to diving into this monster!

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
Re: Hello, thank you and a quick noob question
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 07:47:25 PM »
First, a hearty “Hello” to what looks like a great community from a long-time 4x gamer who just stumbled across this gem.   

Second, thank you to Steve W for sharing with us all what looks like a true labor of love!

I’ve been reading up on the Wiki, reading the forums, and watching tutorial videos (and thanks to SpaceMarine and so many others for those, too!).   I am confused about one thing, though, (well, MANY things, of course) and so want to ask:  When setting up a new game (Playing C# v1. 11), when I set the number of NPR’s to 2, forex, will 2 NPR’s be set up automatically / randomly and be out there waiting for me, or do I need to do some setup myself?

Thanks in advance for insight, and I look forward to diving into this monster!

Greetings and welcome to Aurora 4x!!!

No, you don't need to do any setup for NPR. The abbreviation stands for "Non-player Race" which means it is a completely AI controlled faction in the game that is randomised and setup somewhere in the galaxy within a certain distance from you. These NPR will be active from the start and will explore and expand just like you. If you start as a conventional empire the NPR will not start as conventional and you will be at a disadvantage, just a heads up.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 07:49:04 PM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline Mitchell (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 08:01:46 PM »
Wow, that was fast!  Thanks Jorgen, makes sense and as I had expected / hoped.   Thanks for the tip, too.

Now I just need to find something for my wife to go do and give me time to really get into this thing. . .  ;D

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 10:01:15 PM »
You can also create as many player races as you like.  If you want to RP a multi nation game in the sol system, it might be easier for you to play every side rather than rely on the AI.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 12:34:30 AM »
Wow, that was fast!  Thanks Jorgen, makes sense and as I had expected / hoped.   Thanks for the tip, too.

Now I just need to find something for my wife to go do and give me time to really get into this thing. . .  ;D

Filing for divorce is easier. Just a heads up ;)

The following users thanked this post: Mitchell

Offline Mitchell (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 10:56:04 PM »
Quote from: StarshipCactus link=topic=11814. msg139697#msg139697 date=1596855675
You can also create as many player races as you like.   If you want to RP a multi nation game in the sol system, it might be easier for you to play every side rather than rely on the AI.
Very cool, and nice to know - thanks for the tip.   

@froggiest1982: Good point, but not the first time we’ve been through this, so I’ll take my chances (again)  ::)