Author Topic: Can't find NPR  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Aloriel (OP)

• Lieutenant
Can't find NPR
« on: August 02, 2013, 10:45:11 PM »
Here's the situation:

I keep having a hostile NPR sending ships into Sol.  They aren't powerful.  In fact, they're terrible.  They won't make peace with me.  So, I am determined to find them and force a surrender.  The problem is that the system they are jumping from is a dead end.

I have done a complete geological survey.  I have sent my primary battle fleet into the system with active sensors and passive sensors on.  I sent them to each planet in turn.  I have surveyed the entire system twice now with a grav survey ship.  No colonies or other jump points have been found.  I have placed sensor buoys all over the place to try and track down where they are coming from.

It's driving me bananas.

Oh, also SM mode doesn't appear to be showing them as a potential race to select, even though I have diplomatic channels open with them.  Even if they had been destroyed by spoiler types, the spoiler types would show up on SM mode as a race, right?

How do I find them? Is there something I am overlooking? Can jump drives jump to a different JP than the connecting system would suggest?

(BTW, I love this game, even with it's little bugs and things.  Been playing it off and on for a couple months, but never posted here before)
Sarah
Game Developer in Unity and UE4 and 5

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Can't find NPR
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 11:47:40 PM »
SM mode doesn´t show any computer controled races in the "Select Default Race" menue, you would need to enter designer mode, for which you also need the password from Steve.

Other than that, I am at a loss.

Now, Aurora creates a new jump point in a system, when a newly generated jump link connects to an already surveyed system (this is called a hidden jump point), but I am assuming you did your second grav-survey after the first alien ships showed up, so this can´t be it.

Hm, come to think about it, in Starfire (the roots of Aurora), hidden warp points (from the hidden side) can only be discovered by observing a ship coming through, perhaps Steve has put something similar into Aurora?
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Aloriel (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 11:54:54 PM »
It wouldn't bother me so much if I could make peace.   The problem there is that they keep sending warships into Sol, and head straight for Earth about every 5 years or so.   I can't let them do that.   Their ship explodes, of course, which is an immediate drop in diplomatic relations that my diplomats just cannot compensate for quickly. 

It's actually quite sad.   Their tech is so vastly behind mine.   My ships move 5-6 times faster.   My missiles have about double or triple the range, and vastly more speed.   My beam weapons are longer range and more accurate.  .  .   they should just stop sending ships through my space.   It would actually solve everything. 

I suppose I could delete the jump gate.  .  .   but that seems like over kill.   And they might be using jump engines anyway.

EDIT: In reference to your suggestion, how would you suggest I go about seeing that? My sensor buoys are not that great.  I don't have a colony world in the system on which to put DSTSs.  Even my main line active sensors aren't strong enough to really cover the place (though, maybe my newer model ones are closer).  Since I don't know where the jump point would be, I can't really guess where to put AS to see the jump.  Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 12:03:55 AM by Aloriel »
Sarah

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 12:21:29 AM »
There should be an option somewhere in the myriad of tabs in the system view (F9) to allow you to conduct a re-survey of the system. I'd suggest doing that.

You might also design a very long-life buoy with a sensor in it. When you detect them, drop a buoy at that location (make a waypoint). Then you should be able to track them further out. Repeat until you find their JP. Then camp it.

Offline Aloriel (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 12:38:05 AM »
Yeah, I found how to reset the survey, and I am in the process of doing that again (this will be the third time).  I previously did it manually without the reset because I couldn't find that durn button.  I also have my main battle fleet in the system scouring the place.  I almost feel bad for these guys.

Thankfully, no one else is around (theoretically).  Earth is presently left with only missile bases.  I only have tiny active sensors at all gates.  Not sufficient for a real fight.  I should probably do something about that LOL.
Sarah

Offline Aloriel (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 02:54:43 PM »
Found the JP finally! About freakin' time! It required the reset of the survey.  That button really ought to not be SM only.  Ahh well.

Thanks for your help! :)
Sarah