Author Topic: Semi-Official 7.x Suggestion Thread  (Read 169061 times)

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Semi-Official 7.0 Suggestion Thread
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2016, 08:05:27 AM »
A research line allowing twin, triple, quad spinals? Please? :(
Or maybe double, triple, quad sized spinals?
Oh boy, 500 mm spinal carronade of doom XD
I am for the research for twin/triple spinals. And like how Rich.h said " To have more than one would be just two ships strapped together." I have seen many sci-fi ships that are just that, 2 ships slapped together. Although, that said, you could make a module ship and do just that. A main ship piece and 2 weapons modules each with a few turrets, missiles, and a spinal weapon. Oh, and on the Carronade part; normal research gives you 500mm for it already and goes all the way to 800mm, an advanced spinal version would take it to 1200mm. The 800mm does 168 damage and almost reaches the max beam range, for example.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2016, 08:50:20 AM »
I am for the research for twin/triple spinals. And like how Rich.h said " To have more than one would be just two ships strapped together." I have seen many sci-fi ships that are just that, 2 ships slapped together. Although, that said, you could make a module ship and do just that. A main ship piece and 2 weapons modules each with a few turrets, missiles, and a spinal weapon. Oh, and on the Carronade part; normal research gives you 500mm for it already and goes all the way to 800mm, an advanced spinal version would take it to 1200mm. The 800mm does 168 damage and almost reaches the max beam range, for example.
Oh my bad, 3200 millimetre then:
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2016, 08:10:47 PM »
Spaceports do not affect the load time of troops into troop transports. Not sure if this is a bug or WAI but it would be nice if they did.

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2016, 08:12:43 PM »
Turrets. They're nice, they can give ships a better tracking speed than they would have otherwise had... But they're expensive to maintain, drive max repair amounts through the roof. And can be sometimes quite Annoying to build reactors with.

1 give us the ability to build a reactor into a turret. Thus making the turret fully contained. Also this would make it so that armoring turrets is a better deal because that extra armor will help protect the reactor. Perhaps even have it as a drop down, where you can pick reactor tech, it scales the reactor to the size needed to power the guns. And then the size of the reactor can be adjusted by playing with the "boost" settings on the reactor.
High boost tiny reactor in the turret, fine. if that turret gets hit by a laser that penetrates all of its armor though, BOOOM.
This would make it so that it is possible to cause something akin to a magazine explosion when shooting turrets... but also perhaps make turrets a little easier to deal with as they'll be all you need.

Ofcourse the obligatory "Also, Railgun and Plasma Carronade turrets also please"

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2016, 06:40:58 AM »
Ofcourse the obligatory "Also, Railgun and Plasma Carronade turrets also please"

Railguns can't be turreted in fast tracking turrets because of balancing reasons. They would make Gauss obsolete as point defense with their cheap volume of fire.

I would still like to see them inside a turret without speed/gear boost possible, for protection, management and RP reasons.

Offline rcj33

• Petty Officer
  • r
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2016, 12:09:09 AM »
twin, triple, quad spinals

twin/triple spinals

Well, it's not quite what you were asking for, but I discovered something related tonight:

Um... Steve, could you make the x4 button do x5 instead?   ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 12:36:19 AM by rcj33 »

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2016, 10:07:54 AM »
Railguns can't be turreted in fast tracking turrets because of balancing reasons. They would make Gauss obsolete as point defense with their cheap volume of fire.

I would still like to see them inside a turret without speed/gear boost possible, for protection, management and RP reasons.
....How. Perhaps at lower tech levels yes turreted RGs would beat out GCs, but they can already do that without turrets. With their demand for a reactor and such would make GCs pull ahead fairly quickly.
Hell noone gripes about lasers and mesons out performing GCs until ROF 3. And worst comes to worst GCs would get like a 50% tracking gear penalty. Due to forces involved with firing the RG or something.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2016, 01:46:12 PM »
....How. Perhaps at lower tech levels yes turreted RGs would beat out GCs, but they can already do that without turrets. With their demand for a reactor and such would make GCs pull ahead fairly quickly.
Hell noone gripes about lasers and mesons out performing GCs until ROF 3. And worst comes to worst GCs would get like a 50% tracking gear penalty. Due to forces involved with firing the RG or something.

A 100% accurate gauss cannon is 6 HS, a 10cm railgun is 3 HS. Even assuming 1 HS for a reactor (and realistically it's probably more like .2 HS for 3 power), gauss cannons don't pull even until Rate of Fire 6, which is extremely expensive. With more realistic reactor sizes it doesn't pull ahead until RoF 8, and that's literally the last rate of fire tech in the tech tree.

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2016, 09:43:34 PM »
Some ideas:
Have extremely high thresholds of damage mitigated by atmosphere be converted to air-burst nuclear detonations, without radiation (but perhaps still with dust)? Would cause a bit of destruction to whatever population, structures, PDCs, etc that it would hit.
For balance purposes, we'd be talking an entire 20 damage stopped by atmosphere being the equivalent of a size 1 warhead, for instance, with mitigations below this point being considered inconsequential. To allow medium tech levels who are determined to siege a planet with carronades or lasers, but will need to do it slow and steadily. Might give a much more kinetically satisfying image than just zapping their PDCs down with mesons.

Plasma Carronade Tech: Spinal Mount. Uses the spinal mount from lasers to make your big carronades even bigger, nastier, and more explody at whatever it hits. Essentially would work the same as it does for the lasers, increasing base damage (and max range as a result), with slower reload speed per capacitor capacity.

Plasma Carronade Containment Tech: Works sorta like the wavelength on lasers or velocities on kinetics, except is less effective per tech level (probably just slants the curve a little bit rather than outright increment each damage-level's scope). Each level of this tech increases the size and reload time of the carronade it's applied to.

New Ship Component: Capacitor banks. Function as generators, except the energy they have is 5 times (more or less depending on tech or balance, might be a new tech or an already existing tech in the game) greater than a power plant of the same size, and the power drawn from them is exhausted when used by a weapon. For instance, a weapon that uses 5 power attached to a capacitor with 20 will fire 4 times before becoming exhausted. Capacitors can be recharged in hangar space, but the parent ship needs excess power plant capacity of at least the max charge of the capacitor, and the rate of charge would be determined by capacitor recharge rate tech. Capacitors are also dangerous to use on ships expecting to be hit, I'm guessing that they'd often be HTK 0-1 with internal explosion size equal to half of the stored charge if it detonates within.

Solar Harvesting: A particularly substantially high tech level upgrade of the sorium harvesters, with this addition, stars can sometimes be sources of sorium (rarely), and can be surveyed much like gas giants and will tend to have much lower accessibility, but similarly high stocks if any. Possibility of solar cooling if the star in question is being sucked of all it's sorium?

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2016, 03:29:28 PM »
Not sure if I've posted this prior...

A window or something that shows all known ruins.

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha, Havan_IronOak

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2016, 04:01:06 PM »
Not sure if I've posted this prior...

A window or something that shows all known ruins.
That's already a feature man.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 04:03:49 PM by 83athom »
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

The following users thanked this post: Erik L, Havan_IronOak

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2016, 04:05:55 PM »
That's already a feature man.
I barely use the system display.

I'll amend my suggestion. As above but outside the system display :p

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2016, 04:45:41 PM »
I barely use the system display.

I'll amend my suggestion. As above but outside the system display :p
Addendum: A toggle to show all anomalies detected.

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2016, 10:06:10 PM »
So heres 1
Started messing around with genetic modification. Its not impossible to made a species however that earth (or other of your colonies) are completly uninhabitable.
You might work around this sometimes by setting up your gene mod operations on planets that are within the tolerance range of the new species... but I think habitats would be easier.

Make it so you can target a habitat (or task group of them) to send members of a new species to (as a holding, until they can be shipped off to their final actual colony)

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2016, 11:07:53 PM »
So heres 1
Started messing around with genetic modification. Its not impossible to made a species however that earth (or other of your colonies) are completly uninhabitable.
You might work around this sometimes by setting up your gene mod operations on planets that are within the tolerance range of the new species... but I think habitats would be easier.

Make it so you can target a habitat (or task group of them) to send members of a new species to (as a holding, until they can be shipped off to their final actual colony)
You can already do this by transferring infrastructure to the colony that is formed by the new species. The infrastructure will support them, and you can just use normal colony vessels (cryo storage) to move them from one world to the next.