Author Topic: Jump capable vs non-jump capable warships.  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Starkiller (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • S
Re: Jump capable vs non-jump capable warships.
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 04:30:55 PM »
Ok, I didn't change the ship without the jump drive because I wanted to keep it's fire power intact. I did change the size 1 and size 2 missles.
Both have warheads double the size of the old ones. the size 1 has longer range for anti-ship use if needed. I didn't change the sensors much
because giving the res 1 range to match the new range of the size 1 missles would have cost too much in space. The size ones can use the
longer range sensors for anti-ship use if needed. I left those longer ranged because shortening the range didn't really save much. I took out
all the offensive armament and threw in lots more size 1 launchers. Four of each fire control will let me target where and what I will. :)

Eric

Offline Starkiller (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 04:37:49 PM »
Ooops, didn't see your response. Actually, I like the fact that you have to agonize over each choice. It makes it so much like real life.
And you won't know if you made the right choice, until actual combat. :) Your ships also have the advantage of an extra 10000 tons to
play with. I've been upgrading my shipyards like a madman, but only one can build my dreadnaught so far. And I have the jump version
under construction, to see how it goes. What's the construction time on your 30000 tonners? My dreadnaught will take over 4 years to
complete.

Eric

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 05:27:05 PM »
1.68 years for a Champion class Battleship up to 2.4 Years for the Jump dreadnought , I have invested in the Improved ship construction time technologies

Offline Starkiller (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 08:21:04 PM »
Oh boy. I think paying attention to infrastructure and economic research is going to be needed as well! Oh my poor poor head.  :D

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 12:29:52 AM »
Ok, I didn't change the ship without the jump drive because I wanted to keep it's fire power intact. I did change the size 1 and size 2 missles.
Both have warheads double the size of the old ones. the size 1 has longer range for anti-ship use if needed. I didn't change the sensors much
because giving the res 1 range to match the new range of the size 1 missles would have cost too much in space. The size ones can use the
longer range sensors for anti-ship use if needed. I left those longer ranged because shortening the range didn't really save much. I took out
all the offensive armament and threw in lots more size 1 launchers. Four of each fire control will let me target where and what I will.

What I meant with the size one missiles was to have a mix of them.  Some of them with the larger warhead and longer range, but most of them for point defense work.  Take a look at the difference in intercept rates against targets moving at the speed missiles move at.  A good indicator is that the agility displayed will be the % chance to hit a target moving at the same speed it is going at.  With both types of missiles on board that jump ship it would be fairly effective for shooting down incomming missiles, and the other missiles would be good for defending itself from enemy ships that got to close.  For this type of ship I usually put in about 20% of my magazine space on the anti-ship missiles and the rest would be for the anti-missile missiles.

Brian

Offline Starkiller (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 12:42:04 AM »
You have a point. I wasn't paying attention to interception rates. Silly me. :)

Eric

Oddly, on the other version, I loaded the more powerfully size 2 mk3 for the anti-ship launchers, but left the mk4 size 1 missle for the defence.
I must have been thinking about it at some level. :)