Author Topic: Terraforming Question  (Read 1193 times)

Offline WHCnelson (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
Terraforming Question
« on: November 21, 2009, 11:36:25 AM »
Ok, Guys I am about a month into my Vors Campaign and I am trying to Terraform Saturn's moon "Titian" to make it better suited for my race and I was having a question on
how to actually go about Terraforming the moon.   I have two Terraformers' in orbit of the planet and I saw the Environment tab on R2 with the terraform stuff But, I am confused
on what to do next...  

Thanks...

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
Re: Terraforming Question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 12:23:39 PM »
ok.
Open planetary Environment window.
then check "ATMOSPHERIC DATA"
most probably Titan have -170° on temperature and raise this Glacier r narrowly impossible..BUT u can up some: in "SELECTED GAS" select SAFE GREENHOUSE-Gas and next flag the "Add Gas to Atmosphere" squar root AND next write (for first test) 1.0 on "MAximum Atm" square root.

From this point ur terrafomer pump inside Titan's atmosphere "Safe Greenhouse Gas" for try to raise temperature.

this operation r "reverse" capability.
EVERY gas can pump in..and reverse out.

REMEMBER!:D..otherwise u can EASY drive an GOOD planet on VENUS situation:)))

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 01:58:49 PM »
First, you need to make sure that Titan has enough gravity for your race.  If you've got a colony cost that isn't "N/A" then you're ok.  There are 5 things that have to happen to get colony cost to zero IIRC:

1)  No poisonous gases.
2)  Enough oxygen in atmosphere (controlled by race characteristics)
3)  Percent oxygen less than 30%
4)  Pressure not too high
5)  Temperature in right range. (controlled by race characteristics)

The first three have "threshold" cost - it goes from something like 2.0 to zero the moment the threshold is crossed.  In contrast, temperature and pressure are "gradual" costs - the further you are from your race's allowed range, the more it costs.

The other thing to realize is that the costs are NOT additive - instead the worst cost is the colonization cost.  So what you want to do is work on the worst one first.  For colony cost >2, I usually work on temperature and/or pressure first until the cost reaches two, then work on oxygen until it crosses the threshold, then go back to fixing temperature and/or pressure.  For cold worlds with thin atmosphere, the first and last steps usually involve pumping in greenhouse gasses, which help both to bring the temp up and get the %O2 down.  A lot of the time the temp is in a pretty good range by the time the O2 is correct and below 30%.

Waresky already mentioned how to work the controls, so I won't repeat that....

John

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 02:10:23 PM »
Ty sloa
ur english r far better than mine:)
Good explain