Author Topic: racial wealth  (Read 4823 times)

Offline Sebastian (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
racial wealth
« on: June 25, 2012, 09:38:55 PM »
I have negative racial wealth (per month) as my outcome exceeds income.

My question is, how long can this be supported? I can't seem to find an account balance. . .

Offline segundoblz

• Leading Rate
Re: racial wealth
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 09:41:04 PM »
Try to expand civi income.   It's a tech under construction tree.  Also, check 'Wealth/Trade' tab and tell us what you see.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 09:43:33 PM by segundoblz »

Offline Sebastian (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 09:51:54 PM »
i noticed in my events that the game lowers production until the debt is paid off.

in the wealth trade tab it lists the income in one section

expenses in another

and in a third it enumerates trade goods.

i have an income of 1000. 8

expenses of 2181. 2 it is simple math.

will building financial centres increase the income?

Offline segundoblz

• Leading Rate
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 09:52:55 PM »
Quote from: Sebastian link=topic=5005. msg51161#msg51161 date=1340679114

will building financial centres increase the income?
Yes.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 10:54:51 PM »
The current wealth you have is listed in the title of the economics screen (the title of the window itself).

Offline Sebastian (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 11:50:53 PM »
Quote from: Person012345 link=topic=5005. msg51166#msg51166 date=1340682891
The current wealth you have is listed in the title of the economics screen (the title of the window itself).

thanks.

pardon me while I slap my forehead with the desk.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 03:50:50 AM »
I'm running a test campaign atm with five starting nations and all five are in financial trouble :)

The main ways to generate additional wealth are:

• The Expand Civilian Economy tech
  • Ensuring you have planetary governors with a good wealth bonus (and secondly a pop growth bonus as more pop = more wealth)
  • Creating new colonies. These grow faster because they are small (and more pop = more wealth).
  • New colonies also allow trade. Different colonies will likely have different export and import requirements (see Wealth / Trade tab), which will generate weath through trade.
  • If you are just starting out, create a Mars colony. Civilian shipping lines don't start building ships until you have two colonies. Once up and running, they will generate additional wealth for you through shipping and export taxes. You can also subsidise shipping lines to give them a boost.
  • Take the tax from civilian mining colonies, not the minerals.
  • Open trade relations with NPRs. NPR populations mean new markets for trade and therefore more tax revenue.
  • Build financial centres, although this last option depends on your pop size. Each financial centre has the same wealth generation as 1m pop. So if your population is 100m they will have a much greater impact than if your population is 1000m

Steve

Offline Sebastian (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 05:26:33 AM »
If i have a colony on mars, with a colony cost of 2 (or anything) does that add to your civs expenditures.  I. e.  could it cost more to have the colony than it brings in, or does colony cost only matter as far as the amount of infrastructure needed?

Also, if i have 100m pop and 900 fin.  Ctr.  = 1000m pop?

For testing purposes i started a new game with 500m pop and SM'd in several hundred fin.  Ctr. , the gained wealth seemed low, but i am on my phone right now and have not looked at the game for nearly 24 hrs so i will have to get back to you on that.  Thanks for the added tips.  I apologize for typos i have fat thumbs n phone buttons r tiny and overly sensitive.

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 05:34:48 AM »
The colony cost refers purely to the amount of infrastructure needed.

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 05:52:01 AM »
Also, if i have 100m pop and 900 fin.  Ctr.  = 1000m pop?
Yes and no, because with only 100m population you probably wont have enough workers to staff that many financial centers (each requires 50k workers).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 05:54:13 AM by Ziusudra »

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 11:14:43 AM »
I feel like trading produces only a paltry sum.

Perhaps the cash you make from trading should be linked not only to where the run originates and lands, but also to the identity of the traded good.  Contraband producing cash mostly for the civvies, with different goods (say, alien artifacts?) producing cash weighted heavily to the government.

Remember that the things you do in your empire cost money-- look at that wealth tab to see where its going.  Those construction factories you built all cost money to build, and then you've gotta fund them with money for every single thing they produce.  My early game sees a huge yo yo effect-- I tend to go massively negative at the start while I gear up production and mining operations, then as population centers come online and a couple civ industry techs get developed, I go way positive.

It is at that time that I declare a world a financial center.  Different people have different opinions on these worlds.  Once financial centers are built, they can never be moved.  This means any people running that center cannot be tasked with working in factories, so I segregate them from produciton worlds.  I drop about 200 factories onto a planet, enough of the two resources to keep them running for years, and then set them with building endless centers.

A 250 m population tasking most of its industry to financial centers produces about as much in taxes as a billion citizens paying the standard rate.  You don't notice a few financial centers much.  The cost of producing them can even hurt when you're low on cash.  But they will never stop giving you money, so having a lot of them brings a lot of permanent cash flow.

Thats a big help as your industry REALLY gets going (how else are we going to fund those 50 kton light cruisers?)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:25:52 AM by Thiosk »

Offline jseah

• Captain
  • j
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 08:19:15 PM »
I don't usually run into cashflow problems, not even in the "mid-game" around Inertial Confinement.  Often I go into positive after 2 expand civs, then I get one more for the civ. infrastructure. 

After that, trade usually gives 50% of my income. 

For example, my current game is at fourth quarter of year 7.  I have 10 623.7 income from last month, 5771.8 from taxes is only 54% of my income.  My balance is running +40 to +100 every day.  Civ. lines have a total of 143 ships between them. 

I don't need to waste precious population on financial centers.  Natural civilian trade keeps me afloat easily. 

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 09:03:43 PM »
"will building financial centres increase the income?"
In the long run, in the short run they cost you cash.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 12:12:07 PM »
Financial centers have a fixed cost, but their wealth output scales with your +wealth bonuses - technology, governor, and racial.  They usually arn't the solution to a short term financial crunch - you might be better off building nothing at all! 

To get reliable information on this - go look at the 'Population Per Capita Income' in the wealth/trade screen. This is how much 1 financial center will earn in 1 year when built at this colony.  Financial centers cost 240 wealth to build, so just divide 240 by income and you'll have the time to pay back.  In my current game, one civ has 23/capita and another has 41.  So the first civ would take 10.4 years to pay back on a financial center and the second 5.8. 

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 12:14:35 PM by TheDeadlyShoe »

Offline Sebastian (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 02:13:52 PM »
Quote from: TheDeadlyShoe link=topic=5005. msg51345#msg51345 date=1340989927
Financial centers have a fixed cost, but their wealth output scales with your +wealth bonuses - technology, governor, and racial.   They usually arn't the solution to a short term financial crunch - you might be better off building nothing at all! 

To get reliable information on this - go look at the 'Population Per Capita Income' in the wealth/trade screen.  This is how much 1 financial center will earn in 1 year when built at this colony.   Financial centers cost 240 wealth to build, so just divide 240 by income and you'll have the time to pay back.   In my current game, one civ has 23/capita and another has 41.   So the first civ would take 10. 4 years to pay back on a financial center and the second 5. 8.  

Nice, I hadn't even thought to think of it that way.