Author Topic: Ships Sizes and there Names  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Tor Cha (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
Ships Sizes and there Names
« on: March 22, 2016, 09:25:58 AM »
I may have this in the wrong Place but here goes
In Star Fire the Hull Spaces were set to a specific Hull Names, ( (Cruiser=30hs to 60hs) or Tons) I have Noticed that when Building ships that Only common sense or Naval Sense in this case.  You can have a Corvette with( (400+ spaces and a Ca with under 50 spaces)or Tons)

Is there or will there be a List that sets what Ships Names = # of Hull Spaces/tons?
I ask because I can see a Player thinking his 30K Cruiser is Great he runs into a Frigate that is 60K and gets trashed. that Player will be a Bit Miffed.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
Re: Ships Sizes and there Names
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 10:53:54 AM »
Nope, it's entirely free-form in this regard. On the one hand you have a point; it can be hard to judge ahead of time how your ships will fare against the enemy. On the other hand, absolute size categories don't really make any sense. Historically ship names have had very little to do with size, and much more to do with the role of the ship.

Someone else posted a link to https://jvhageshii01.wordpress.com/2015/05/15/on-the-taxonomy-of-spaceships/ a while back; this is a nice article about ship classes.

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha

Offline Tor Cha (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 01:32:31 PM »
Hull Class Names Such as Cruiser, Battle Cruiser, Frigate, Light Cruiser. Not the Class Name Like Prince of Wells, Ajax, Apache, Argentina and such like that

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 02:17:49 PM »
Yes, that's exactly what I mean as well.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 04:06:25 PM »
Hull Class Names Such as Cruiser, Battle Cruiser, Frigate, Light Cruiser. Not the Class Name Like Prince of Wells, Ajax, Apache, Argentina and such like that
In early game, I usually go with this list:

< 1000 tons are fighters, bombers, FACs and pinnaces
1000-3000 tons are corvettes
3000-5000 tons are frigates and destroyers
5000-8000 tons are various cruisers
8000-10,000 tons are battleships

then after a while this gets upgraded to:
~5000 corvettes
~8000 FF/DD
~12,000 cruisers
~20,000 BB-CV-DN

As said, it is entirely up to the player how they wish to classify their hull sizes. Since a single shipyard can produce multiple classes if these are fairly similar, I tend to keep these kind of rough sizes for classes, so a shipyard tooled to produce a destroyer can, for example, also build frigates. Plus, I go with a mixture of smaller shipyards with multiple slipways and large shipyards with 1-2 slipways. Trying to maximize both shipyard size and the number of slipways gets pretty expensive pretty fast, both in money and resources but also in time required.

Offline Tor Cha (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 04:19:35 PM »
I like the David Webers Class Sizes from his Honor Harrington series
http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/22-MissionofHonorCD/MissionofHonorCD
in there he and others Lay out the General Size Class for the Main Players.

Iranon

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 05:17:48 PM »
Scale is very flexible in Aurora, even more so than in real life (a modern destroyer may displace more than an early 20th century battleship).

I tend to rate by function. A cruiser, destroyer and corvette may all be around the same size (usually around 10k tons).
The cruiser will be a respectable warship capable of extended independent operation.
The destroyer will be faster and/or more powerful for its size, at the expense of mission life, sensor suite and fuel consumption. Tends to spend most time at a base.
The corvette will be much less capable, focus is on being cheap to build and run.