Author Topic: Boarding  (Read 2004 times)

Offline bulletstop (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • b
Boarding
« on: September 16, 2010, 09:33:53 AM »
I have done a search but I must have missed how to actually board a wreck. I have several in sol that I would like to check out. I have a dropship with 2 battlions of assault infy ready to go, but I can not figure out how to target the wrecks and send in the infy. I have used the search function under boarding but I must not be hitting the right combo of words. Any help would be appreciated.

Bullet

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Boarding
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 09:58:52 AM »
You don´t "board" a wreck, you salvage it (research the salvage module, design a ship with at least one of them, build it, put an officer with a factory bonus in charge and send it off)
You CAN Board enemy ships while they are active. To do so, you need to put troops (usually one or several marine companies) on a ship with some troop transport module and have a dropship (usually a fighter class with a small drop module). Have the ship that holds the troops have some cargo handling systems to speed up the loading of the marines into the dropship.
Send the dropship(s) off to board the enemy ship.

Note: There is a huge penalty for boarding an enemy ship that is still underway. You want to have as much of a speed advantage dropship <-- > target as you can get. Without that, most of your marines will end in two ways, 1. missing the enemy ship and drifting off into deep space or as a red smear on the hull of the enemy.

Hm, so THAT´S how the reaver ships got their paint job.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline bulletstop (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • b
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 10:24:55 AM »
Oh, I must have miss understood the boarding, my bad, OK so only active ships can be boarded, good to know, It makes sense why some of the designs I saw were very small and fast. OK know we know why Capt Reynolds had them spread the folks across Serenity's Hull :)

Bullet

I need to spell check ...

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 02:49:17 AM »
Hmmm, in boarding you need to have the same speed... What if I make a boarding shuttle with a Tractor Beam to "hook on" to get the same speed??
Ex:
Tennessee class Assault Shuttle    1,150 tons     74 Crew     231.6 BP      TCS 23  TH 80  EM 0
6956 km/s     Armour 1-9     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 10%    IFR: 0.1%    Maint Capacity 126 MSP    Max Repair 100 MSP    Est Time: 4.38 Years
Drop Capacity: 2 Companies    Tractor Beam     

GB Magneto-plasma Drive E60 (1)    Power 160    Fuel Use 600%    Signature 80    Armour 0    Exp 15%
Fuel Capacity 5,000 Litres    Range 1.3 billion km   (52 hours at full power)

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Or perhaps a ships that layches on and then send out the shuttle...

Ex:
Alaska class Assault Transport    12,000 tons     686 Crew     1931.8 BP      TCS 240  TH 680  EM 0
5666 km/s     Armour 1-46     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 4     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 288%    IFR: 4%    Maint Capacity 402 MSP    Max Repair 100 MSP    Est Time: 1.2 Years
Hangar Deck Capacity 6000 tons     Tractor Beam     

Magneto-plasma Drive E6 (17)    Power 80    Fuel Use 60%    Signature 40    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 350,000 Litres    Range 87.5 billion km   (178 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 05:09:35 AM »
Actually in boarding you want to go a lot faster.  At the same speed you will probably lose almost all of your troops.  I can't find the original post where Steve gave the formula, but to not have any loses in boarding you do need to be about 10 times faster than your target.  At equal speed you can suffer a random percentage up to 200% casualties.  Obviously anything above 100% means the unit was totaly destroyed before getting a chance to take over the ship.  The moral of the story is to have your boarding ships be as fast as possible so that more of your troops survive and have a chance to capture the ship you want.

Brian

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 08:35:20 AM »
Crap... back to the drawingboard then... :-[
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 11:58:15 AM »
I can't find the original post where Steve gave the formula, but to not have any loses in boarding you do need to be about 10 times faster than your target.
20 times faster, actually. The formula is 20d10 percent, minus 1d10 for every time faster than the target the dropship is. I.E. if the dropship is five times faster than the target, losses will be 15d10%, which is still prohibitively high. Generally, you'll need to shoot up a ship and take out a bunch of engines before you try landing troops on it.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 11:07:55 AM »
Or go for some good fighters, and a lot of them.
In the end it might save you because you get an intact ship.

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 02:07:27 PM »
If you've got transport space for four or five times more marine companies, anyway. Maybe more, actually, since blowing holes in the target ship also inflicts crew casualties, reducing the crew's combat strength.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 07:10:39 AM »
I believe this is the post that Brian was referencing

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,1680.0.html
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley