Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 271156 times)

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #765 on: June 20, 2020, 09:24:20 AM »
Two small QoL suggestions:

1) Allow me to designate a current research project as the assignment of any new research labs. That way I don't get an interrupt for idle labs every time I build or import a lab.

2) New shipyard activity: "Add Multiple Slipways." Works like "Continual Capacity Upgrade": I give it a target number, and it keeps building slipways until I have that many.

The following users thanked this post: serger, UberWaffe

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #766 on: June 20, 2020, 01:24:21 PM »
I suggest that there be an order along the lines of '80% of maintenance life exceeded', and an ability to queue an order to go find a place to get an overhaul and resupply.  It would reduce the burning agony of dealing with survey ships by quite a lot.

I don't think this is enough...

I need a condition for deployment exceeded so I can send them home when their deployment is over... i don't want to wait until their maintenance supply fall below a certain level. I build all of my survey ship from a specific deployment time and send them home for overhaul when that is over.

I also don't understand why ship that do overhauls don't automatically try to refuel and resupply if they can when overhaul is done... at least add a conditional order such as refuel, resupply and Overhaul.

If we also had expandable order lists we could easily get the option of a condition such as "On MSP level..."  and then a list from 10-90%. The order would then be On MSP level 80% then "conditional order".
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 01:26:25 PM by Jorgen_CAB »

The following users thanked this post: Titanian

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #767 on: June 20, 2020, 03:37:49 PM »
I don't think you read my thing, I said 'maintenance life' not MSP quantity.  I'd like an order to send them home for overhaul and resupply once they reach a certain percentage of their planned maintenance life.  That tends to be a lot closer to the limit of the ship than trying to do it off of MSP, since the MSP thing tends to run out all at once near the end of said maint life.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #768 on: June 20, 2020, 04:38:55 PM »
I don't think you read my thing, I said 'maintenance life' not MSP quantity.  I'd like an order to send them home for overhaul and resupply once they reach a certain percentage of their planned maintenance life.  That tends to be a lot closer to the limit of the ship than trying to do it off of MSP, since the MSP thing tends to run out all at once near the end of said maint life.

That would be a good one too of course and still I would like one for deployment as well.  ;)

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV

Offline Gram123

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
« Reply #769 on: June 21, 2020, 07:32:20 AM »
I made this post in the general discussion topic and someone suggested that it might belong in suggestions so here I go:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11688.0

Its a few features in the galatic map that used to be in VB but did not make it to C# for some reason.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #770 on: June 21, 2020, 02:23:45 PM »
Split the military academy into multiple structures:
Institute (scientists)
University (civilian admins)
Naval Academy (navy officers)
Ground Academy (ground officers)

Each one of these buildings would train only the officers of corresponding positions. This would give finer control to the player over who gets recruited as a commander and works well with the admin commandant system in place. Much like now, military officers and civie admins with certain skills would make their assigned academy produce officers who also have those skills. Scientists would focus their assigned institute for the field that they are experts in. However, because the facilities are more separate, you could probably double down on the bonuses that current academy commandants give.

I could have one planet have an academy with a commandant who was an artillery officer making more artillery officers while another on another world has an infantry commander training new infantry commanders. Right now I find that even with commandants the academy is still producing the whole cast of officers - it doesn't feel specialized enough plus I can't control how many of what type of officers I have very well.

Offline coolkirk1701

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • c
« Reply #771 on: June 21, 2020, 07:34:59 PM »
Definitely second the suggestion of a zoom feature for the galactic map.   In addition, I know it would probably be difficult to script, but I would just LOVE a button to automatically arrange new systems so that i can stop having to refresh the map, move the Sol system to the side, move the new system to the right place, put the Sol system back, save, and then immediately discover a new system and repeat the entire process.

Offline Demakustus

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #772 on: June 23, 2020, 03:58:40 AM »
(...)
2) New shipyard activity: "Add Multiple Slipways." Works like "Continual Capacity Upgrade": I give it a target number, and it keeps building slipways until I have that many.
I second that but with an addition, that the amount of slipways is stored as a decimal. Then you could interrupt expanding a new slipway to retool the shipyard to a new class, and resume the expansion afterwards without loosing progress, similarly how you can do right now with continual capacity expansion.

Making the retool activity to be just an interrupt, after which the previous activity is restored without penalty, would be even better.

Offline Dawa1147

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #773 on: June 23, 2020, 05:55:38 AM »
Expand on the Carried Items screen, currently it shows Ordenance and Cargo, have it include Parasites

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage, Droll, BAGrimm

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #774 on: June 23, 2020, 11:37:16 AM »
The new ability to stabilize Lagrange points for large bodies is great. I love making shortcuts throughout all of my systems to improve the operational efficiency of my freighters, colonizers, and tankers, and of civilian shipping.

But, since LPs move along with the orbit of the associated body, an LP hop that shortens a given route today might actually lengthen that route at some point in the future.
The shorter the orbital period of the LPs, and of the solar body that is the final destination, the more frequently a given LP hop will alternate between being a shortcut and being a...longcut.
Which means I have to constantly update my order templates and the cycling paths of my fleets to use LPs appropriately.

Can we instead let fleets use LPs dynamically?
In this mode, LP shortcuts are not added to the ships order list as we give the fleet orders.
Instead, every time a ship begins to move towards the next order location, it first checks if a shorter route is available via LP hops.
If so, it makes use of that hop (or hops) and inserts the order(s) for the shorter route at the top of the order list, so we can tell why the fleet is moving that way.

In this mode, the "All Orders Distance" displayed at the top of the fleet window should account for all anticipated LPs along the path.
Therefore the distance displayed would be an estimate. Optimal LP shortcuts may change while the fleet is in transit; the estimated distance would change to reflect that.
To save processing, perhaps a fleet checks its remaining path only whenever it begins moving towards a new location (instead of checking every sub-pulse).
The order list could indicate any orders for which an LP shortcut is anticipated, and perhaps also the distance saved. For example:
Earth: Move to Location (-1.1 b km via jump LP1-LP2)

We probably want to preserve the per-fleet option to not automatically use LPs, for those rare cases when traveling the longer route is needed.

The following users thanked this post: Demakustus

Offline Shaunus82

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • S
« Reply #775 on: June 23, 2020, 02:27:48 PM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I would love to see some kind of help list where you could go to find out information on what the various buildings, components and weapon systems are for, and what they do.  This would greatly help new players.  For instance, I have been playing this game for a few months now, and there are several weapons systems I have never used, because I simply don't have any idea what they are used for, or how they work, so I have just mainly been sticking to simple weapons such as lasers, railguns.  It would just be nice to have some additional information to hand, in game.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #776 on: June 23, 2020, 02:30:37 PM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I would love to see some kind of help list where you could go to find out information on what the various buildings, components and weapon systems are for, and what they do.  This would greatly help new players.  For instance, I have been playing this game for a few months now, and there are several weapons systems I have never used, because I simply don't have any idea what they are used for, or how they work, so I have just mainly been sticking to simple weapons such as lasers, railguns.  It would just be nice to have some additional information to hand, in game.

When creating research projects some of them have links to the aurora wiki I think.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #777 on: June 23, 2020, 04:24:32 PM »
I was pretty sure fleets actually accounted for orbital motion when planning out LP use.

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #778 on: June 23, 2020, 04:27:43 PM »
I was pretty sure fleets actually accounted for orbital motion when planning out LP use.
That is when planning a simple route.  Templates, cycled orders, and repeated orders have problems.

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #779 on: June 23, 2020, 04:30:21 PM »
Oh, snap.  Yeah it might make more sense if the ships just planned LP use under the hood so that you dont accidentally repeat them later.