Author Topic: Different missiles from one fire control. How should this work?  (Read 3553 times)

Iranon

The ease of splitting up missiles into one-missile salvos is a bit of an elephant in the room. With small fire controls getting a great increase in capability this will not require design quirks in the future, but I still wonder how this should work.

Different missiles fired from the same FC split into multiple salvos.
It works with exact duplicates, although that definitely feels exploity.
It has to work if a speed difference... which can then be kept minimal so everything hits in the same tick.
It probably has to work with different sizes unless we want to open up other exploitable quirks.

In between, having it work with different sensors or agility ratings is at least plausible because we can expect subtly different behaviour throwing off PD.
However, if that works it would also be reasonable for missiles of one type to indtroduce deliberate variations to achieve the same effect, which would do away with the entire salvo concept.

eponymous

Re: Different missiles from one fire control. How should this work?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 03:16:36 PM »
i think you answered your own question, there in your afterthought:

"do away with the entire salvo concept"- ain't nothing there but a giant WIN button to be mashed anyhow.   make "inbounds" a feature of beam FCs that can be increased with tech and/ or component size.   or, you know, maybe let each 150 ton+ gun engage one 2. 5 ton missile per increment without further restriction.   CRAZY TALK, BEAMS IMBA, i know i know

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
Re: Different missiles from one fire control. How should this work?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 04:10:25 PM »
No one are twisting anybodies arm to abuse the system.

The fact that you can put 100 missile boxes on a small ship and fire them all in one big volley also is kind of unrealistic as well. There are probably tons of technical reasons for why this is problematic.

Salvos also is a strange concept and just create a strange meta game of fire control war.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 01:02:47 AM by Jorgen_CAB »