Author Topic: Conventional Starts and Jump Gates  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Neutron (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • N
Conventional Starts and Jump Gates
« on: May 12, 2012, 06:27:19 PM »
   I've searched extensively to try to find the answer to this question, but haven't found it, so here's my question:

I started a Conventional Start and selected the option to have all wormholes start with Gates in place.  I played through a few years gametime before I finally had the Grav-Sensor technology I needed to spot the wormholes (I like building up from scratch).  My Gravship found a wormhole but there was no Gate on it.  Thinking this to maybe be a glitch, I ran time till I found a 2nd wormhole, but this one had no gate either.
   So my question is actually multi-part:
   Is the "All wormholes have Gates" setup option not possible with Conventional starts?
   OR Was this a glitch of some kind?
   OR Was there a starter tech other than Grav Sensors that I needed to research to allow me to see the gates on the wormholes? (There was no red box indicating any gate on either of those wormholes, and my ships couldn't pass through).
   OR Was it something that was none of the above that was preventing this option from working?

I appreciate any help anyone can give me on this, as I really love building up from scratch with Conventional starts, but for some reason really hate having to mess with jump engines or building jumpgates manually.  Thanks in advance.   :)

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Conventional Starts and Jump Gates
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 06:43:01 PM »
Take this with a grain of salt, cause I could be wrong. But if I recall my starts with jump gates enabled for some reason the Sol system never has them, they exist on all the other systems but not in Sol. The solution is to manually ad them yourself from the system info screen.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 07:39:31 PM »
Whenever my gravships discover JPs that have randomly pre-placed gates it is marked immediately(this without the option on) so that sounds like there might be a bug.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 07:41:43 PM »
To me it seems logical that Steve did this on purpose as a slow conventional start could be too easily wiped out if all the doors were open.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 01:12:59 PM »
To me it seems logical that Steve did this on purpose as a slow conventional start could be too easily wiped out if all the doors were open.

The purpose of this option was to let people who didn't want to mess with jump engines/gate builders to turn it off, so I doubt that this is the case.

Question for OP:  Have you tried giving a jump order anyway (even though you don't see a jump gate icon)?  There's a possibility it's set up so that it doesn't actually display the JG if this option is on....

John

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 10:16:47 PM »
Adding the JG is not difficult to do for the few that are in the starting system.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 04:22:57 AM »
Confirmed that this is a bug. I've fixed it for the next version.

Steve

Offline Neutron (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • N
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 07:18:34 PM »
   Thanks for addressing this with a fix :)
   Till the fix comes with the new update, the first reply was correct; I simply had to add jumpgates to my starting system in SM mode.  All new systems that I found already had jumpgates installed. 

Offline maximus84

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • m
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 05:47:55 AM »
Hello,

This is my first post and I am sorry to necro this Thread, but. . .  I also did choose the conv start and am pretty new to this game. . .

So is it like my starting system needs to have Jump Gates build ON TOP of Jump Points, for my Hyper Capable ships to traverse?

If so. . .  do I have to do it with SM or can I just research the tech to build jump gates and then build them the normal way?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 10:13:11 AM »
In order to jump through a jump point, there has to either be 1)  a jump ship (with sufficient size capability) OR 2) a jump gate present.  This is for standard transit - for squadron transit you need the jumping ships to be in a TG containing a jumping ship with size capacity able to handle any ship in the TG, and the number of ships in the TG must not exceed the max squadron size of the jump ship's drive.

John

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 10:13:21 AM »
Hello,

This is my first post and I am sorry to necro this Thread, but. . .  I also did choose the conv start and am pretty new to this game. . .

So is it like my starting system needs to have Jump Gates build ON TOP of Jump Points, for my Hyper Capable ships to traverse?

If so. . .  do I have to do it with SM or can I just research the tech to build jump gates and then build them the normal way?

Jump gates allow ships with no jump engine to use the jump point. Hyper engines are used to speed travel between distant companions in multi-star systems.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 07:40:54 AM »
I have a question on random jump gates on jump points: are they in the v6.1 of the game still?

I turned off the option to have jump gates on all jump points but does this mean that I have no chance of finding a gate on any jump point or what?

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 06:44:02 PM »
Yes, there are still random Ancient Jump Gates.

You can remove them via SM if that's a concern.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 08:37:04 AM »
No I don't want to remove them I was basically not going to allow gate development until the BuSurvey ships found one but I've surveyed a fair few jump points now without finding a gate and was curious if they were prevented from showing up or something.