Author Topic: New armor and shipyards  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Caplin (OP)

New armor and shipyards
« on: July 19, 2010, 04:36:52 PM »
Hi all,
I am slightly puzzled by the function of the new armor button as far as existing ships are concerned.
When pressed, I understand that it changes the armor of a design to the newest variety available.
Does this happen instantly, for all ships of the design whereever located, or does it require a refit?
I ask because when I brought my missile cruisers back to Earth for the latter purpose the cost was listed as zero BP.
Thanks for any info.  
All the best,
Zack.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
Re: New armor and shipyards
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 05:34:31 PM »
Quote from: "zkline"
Hi all,
I am slightly puzzled by the function of the new armor button as far as existing ships are concerned.
When pressed, I understand that it changes the armor of a design to the newest variety available.
Does this happen instantly, for all ships of the design whereever located, or does it require a refit?
I ask because when I brought my missile cruisers back to Earth for the latter purpose the cost was listed as zero BP.
Thanks for any info.  
All the best,
Zack.
IIRC, you should copy the design then use the new armour button to create a new design with the new armour.  This is the class you should refit to; otherwise if you just change the armour on the existing design the change will be applied to all ships of that design and the requirement for a refit is avoided.
Welchbloke

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 09:55:34 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
Quote from: "zkline"
Hi all,
Thanks for any info.  
All the best,
Zack.
IIRC, you should copy the design then use the new armour button to create a new design with the new armour.  This is the class you should refit to; otherwise if you just change the armour on the existing design the change will be applied to all ships of that design and the requirement for a refit is avoided.

Plus, IIRC, there's no way to go back to the old armor if it was an "oops" moment.

John

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 05:34:25 AM »
Why would anyone go back to old armor?

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 10:09:09 AM »
Quote from: "UnLimiTeD"
Why would anyone go back to old armor?

As sloanjh said, if it was an "oops", i.e. you hit the button by accident, magicaly upgrading the 20 ships of an old design to the new armor.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany