Author Topic: Maintenance failure on a civilian ship???  (Read 2466 times)

Offline TMaekler (OP)

• Vice Admiral
Maintenance failure on a civilian ship???
« on: February 29, 2016, 03:05:04 PM »
Hi,

I just encountered a maintenance failure on a civilian jump ship. The jump drive could not be repaired due to insufficient maintenance materials...

Thought, that such things could only happen on a military ship  ???

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
Re: Maintenance failure on a civilian ship???
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 03:11:04 PM »
post the ship

Offline TMaekler (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 03:27:48 PM »
Code: [Select]
Horizon class Jump Tender    16 850 tons     100 Crew     366 BP      TCS 337  TH 250  EM 0
741 km/s    JR 2-25(C)     Armour 1-58     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 14    Max Repair 55 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 60 months    Spare Berths 2   

Balsam Dynamics C30K Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 30000 tons    Distance 25k km     Squadron Size 2
Gaymon Engines C125 EP NT Engine (2)    Power 125    Fuel Use 7.96%    Signature 125    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 750 000 Litres    Range 100.5 billion km   (1570 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
I thinks the problem is that civilian ships "don't" need maintenance when there is enough MSP for MaxRepair, right? So the failure comes up because there is not enough MSP in the design. Well, I thought the game would add enough automatically... . Thinking again... ;-)

Hmm, I moved the ship back to base to overhaul, but there I get the message that it is classed as a freighter (Tankerbit was set) and cannot be overhauled. Removed the Tankerbit but same message... .

PS: Don't look at the MaxSize of the Jump Drive. The final ship needed to be smaller than the originally planned maximum, but I did not redesign the Jump Drive.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 03:58:16 PM by TMaekler »

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 05:16:51 PM »
Civilian ships should never be rolling maintenance failures at all, regardless of available MSP.

did you unlock and edit this design in SM?  If your earlier design was classed as military, this ship would still be military until you looked at the ship in the ships screen.

Offline Mastik

• Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 08:15:46 PM »
What does the maint clock say?  I have civilian ships that somehow have a maint clock at 0.01

Offline TMaekler (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 01:10:06 AM »
Maintenance clock is at 0.46 and increasing.
Don't remember if I SM modified it in the past. But I don't think so that I did.
Although because it is multifraction game I have SM enabled to see all events at once.

What do you mean by looked at the ship in ship Screen?

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 01:13:34 AM »
Maintenance clock is at 0.46 and increasing.
Don't remember if I SM modified it in the past. But I don't think so that I did.
Although because it is multifraction game I have SM enabled to see all events at once.

What do you mean by looked at the ship in ship Screen?

Look at the bottom line of the ship design under the tab shown right here, for the specific ship in question.

Offline TMaekler (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 01:47:04 AM »
There it looks like this:

Horizon class Jump Tender 16850 tons     100 Crew     366 BP      TCS 337  TH 250  EM 0
741 km/s     Armour 1-58     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control 1     PPV 0
Maintenance Capacity 14 MSP
Spare Berths 4   

Gaymon Engines C125 EP NT Engine (2)    Power 125    Fuel Use 7.96%    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 750 000 Litres    Range 100.5 billion km   (1570 days at full power)

Repair Cost: 55

This ship is classed as a commercial vessel for maintenance purposes
The Jump Drive is not listed because it is not working at the moment. I SM corredted it and then it looks like this:

Horizon class Jump Tender 16850 tons     100 Crew     366 BP      TCS 337  TH 250  EM 0
741 km/s    JR 2-25     Armour 1-58     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control 1     PPV 0
Maintenance Capacity 14 MSP
Spare Berths 4   

Balsam Dynamics C30K Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 30000 tons    Distance 25k km     Squadron Size 2
Gaymon Engines C125 EP NT Engine (2)    Power 125    Fuel Use 7.96%    Armour 0    Exp 5%

This ship is classed as a commercial vessel for maintenance purposes
It will take some days and then the module fails again... .

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 06:25:04 AM »
Things just looks wrong... The fact that you sm'd the design is probably what is making give you this problem... Try making the design from scratch again and build that.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline TMaekler (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 09:07:02 AM »
Will try making the same design but with SM mode disabled. Although the first intentional time using the SM Mode on this was the SM Repair Function because the game does not repair it the normal way due to a lack of MSP.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 09:16:43 AM »
The ship screen actually refers to the F6 screen.   When you change the design of an existing ship by unlocking it in SM mode, the changes do not propagate to existing ships. In order for those changes to propagate you need to manually refresh their design by selecting the ship in the f6 screen. Each individual ship needs to be selected.

Offline TMaekler (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 10:32:26 AM »
I can change individual ships??? I thought the parameters for a ship are all stored in the design only (of course individual values like fuel or damage are in the individual ship). I remember a big warning that if you change a design via SM Mode it will propagate to all ships of that design.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 10:36:53 AM »
It will not propagate from the class design to the individual ship until the ship's design is refreshed, usually by looking at it in the F6 screen.

Offline TMaekler (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 12:48:30 PM »
I've created an identical ship without enabling SM Mode and this works perfectly. So somehow a data bug has crawled into the other design... . I then tried to recreate the bug by building same design with SM Mode on, putting first military equipment on then take them out put civilian in - but all work fine. On the first faulty design the crew morale also starts to fail after three month in space although I designed it for 60 month durantion... . It's a little mysterious.

Would Steve be interested in bug hunting this one? I could provide the database if you are interested.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 01:42:59 PM »
I've created an identical ship without enabling SM Mode and this works perfectly. So somehow a data bug has crawled into the other design... . I then tried to recreate the bug by building same design with SM Mode on, putting first military equipment on then take them out put civilian in - but all work fine. On the first faulty design the crew morale also starts to fail after three month in space although I designed it for 60 month durantion... . It's a little mysterious.

Would Steve be interested in bug hunting this one? I could provide the database if you are interested.

No, that's OK. This is the only time this problem has been reported so it's likely to be a one-off. I suspect at some point the class was military with a 3 month endurance and was updated to commercial with 60 months, but the ship itself wasn't updated.

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha