Author Topic: Aurora4x C# Resources Website  (Read 6547 times)

Offline MasonMac (OP)

• Registered
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
Aurora4x C# Resources Website
« on: August 25, 2020, 02:58:35 PM »
Yesterday, I had a hit of inspiration from seeing how well Rust documentation was designed. So, what better than to use the same tools they used?

Right now, the website is still very much a W.I.P., obvious from how draft-y the writing is, but I think it looks quite good. I hope to finish up the drafts of book first, and then the cheat sheet by this Sunday, 30-08-20. Also, please post anything I should add! I don't, and probably never will, know much about the advanced mechanics of the game. I tend to go for 'cool' stuff, rather than pragmatism.

Link: https://kirawi.github.io/Aurora4x-Resources/
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/kirawi/Aurora4x-Resources
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 11:24:40 PM by MasonMac »

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, JacenHan, Cinnius, AJS1956, Avogadro

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Aurora4x C# Resources Website
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 03:38:51 PM »
I fully support this and its nice to see you use my tutorials that are already there, this is like more of a comprehensive version of my reddit post for new players except this has more options, let me know if you need any help or want input from me on anything as with a tool like this i can share it with others and use it to direct people in an easier fashion

Offline Iceranger

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 03:47:06 PM »
Looks nice, seems to be a good idea to have a cheatsheet like page that summarizes all and links to more detailed stuff. Factorio cheatsheet came to my mind.

Additional things that I can think of:
A link to the latest installation, or multiple links in case patches are needed. And a link to an installation video if that is not enough :)
Links to different tools posted on the forum and in the discord server

« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 03:53:27 PM by Iceranger »

Offline MasonMac (OP)

• Registered
  • M
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 07:41:48 PM »
Started work on the book: https://kirawi.github.io/Aurora4x-Resources/book/

So much work and it's only a drop in the bucket, lol. 103 markdown files/pages. I'll definitely try to cut down on the verbosity and save it for the cheatsheet, i.e. settings.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 09:51:14 PM by MasonMac »

The following users thanked this post: AJS1956

Offline MasonMac (OP)

• Registered
  • M
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 11:24:11 PM »
Huzzah, I have returned from the dead! If you're wondering why it took me almost 3 months to make an update, let's just say life has been too busy and worrisome for Aurora4x to be on my mind. Now that I've gotten things somewhat in order, and assuming 2020 doesn't have a terrific December finale, I'll be making steady progress on the guide over the next few months. Also, consider the cheatsheet a cancelled idea; there isn't much of a point to it.

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 08:25:17 AM »
I checked the spoilers. Marc Zuckerberg decides be should be the ruler of the reptile overlords and stages a coup against the Queen of England. Nukes are deployed and the internet goes down around the globe. because Facebook has unlimited DDOS abilities. The coup ends when Lizzy 2 and the Zuck are fighting on the roof of Westminster Abby. Elon Musk arrives with his SN9 prototype and dives out of it just before it crashes into Westminster Abby. This kills the Queen and Zuck, leaving Elon as the new ruler of the lizard people and humanity.

Offline Kylemmie

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 10:27:29 AM »

A couple ideas I've thought about would be helpful to integrate new players and help them avoid the many pitfalls 'I didn't know that' can cause.

1) A Section of "How I start" scenarios by Vets. Perhaps a short 50-100 year AAR. RP would be nice, but more for the mechanics and play style and noting all the steps to not miss something. As detailed or summarized as the individual authors see fit. Just so New players have an idea of the game start flowchart. And it will help them understand there is no "One" proper way to play or even set up a game.

2) A Bullet Point Type Tutorial (or flowchart even). With links to deeper dives into each part. A checklist  - If you want to do this, these steps are crucial and these are helpful. And the links will explain more in detail.

For example when it comes to ship design and discussing using one shipyard for multiple hull types - Ask Iceranger to write a short "How To" on using his Bridging function. I think using his display that shows current 'Sister' designs and what a "Bridging" hull looks like is much easier to understand than trying to figure it out in-game by trial and error for new players.

Offline MasonMac (OP)

• Registered
  • M
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 03:19:57 PM »
Honestly, I'll probably just stick to being a general reference for now as these are things I'm quite familiar with and won't take too long. Even though I've made some time for this guide, I hardly have much time to spare.

Offline KunoNoOni

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • K
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 12:01:53 AM »
Quote from: MasonMac link=topic=11867. msg140395#msg140395 date=1598385515
Yesterday, I had a hit of inspiration from seeing how well Rust documentation was designed.  So, what better than to use the same tools they used?

Right now, the website is still very much a W. I. P. , obvious from how draft-y the writing is, but I think it looks quite good.  I hope to finish up the drafts of book first, and then the cheat sheet by this Sunday, 30-08-20.  Also, please post anything I should add! I don't, and probably never will, know much about the advanced mechanics of the game.  I tend to go for 'cool' stuff, rather than pragmatism.

Link: https://kirawi. github. io/Aurora4x-Resources/
GitHub Repo: https://github. com/kirawi/Aurora4x-Resources

This site seems to have vanished.