Author Topic: Running aurora on tablet or smart phone?  (Read 2603 times)

Offline drmzsz7 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
Running aurora on tablet or smart phone?
« on: May 15, 2015, 03:38:59 PM »
Has anyone ever tried running aurora on a tablet or large phone with resolution specs, using a windows emulator like dosbox turbo?

Offline drmzsz7 (OP)

• d
Re: Running aurora on tablet or smart phone?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 06:23:39 PM »
Well here are some ideas. My laptop is currently shot I can't test, but there's also remote access apps, splashtop, I'm curious if these would work if anyone could test it.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 03:52:03 AM »
I use team viewer remote setup on my pc and a 10" Sony xperia Z, it does work but there are things you need to take into account. First up is you need to have something setup for a decent connection if you are not on the same wifi network. If you are using a mobile hotspot then forget it for anything but 4g, you simply end up with lag moments where you are unsure if it is working, then you try to click and check and it all gets messy. Secondly you need to take into account control methods, if you are using just a tablet screen then it becomes more of a pain to do anything than it is worth, trying to emulate mouse functions along with having to keep starting/stopping the keyboard just isn't fun. For me the best compromise I have managed to use is a bluetooth keyboard with a built in trackpad ala laptop style, or ideally a small wireless mouse too. At this point it is pretty much just like playing the game on a laptop only with a minor amount of lag to account for.

Of course screen real estate can be an issue, I have tried my setup on a 5" phone, a 7" & 10" tablets. In the first two cases the screen simply cannot display enough of the desktop to work without you having to scroll around, unless you own special hawkeye vision to allow you to have it zoomed all the way out. But in general you need to be suffering really bad Aurora withdrawals to put up with how much of a pain that experience is. With a good quality 10" tablet you can play the game provided you ensure your pc is only running Aurora and you keep to using one tab at a time, then just minimize each one when not in use, this lets you keep each tab as large as possible to help overcome the squinty eye syndrome you will otherwise suffer.

I was unaware though of DosBox Turbo until now, but I am guessing it really only runs the ancient games smoothly being an emulator. I guess if you were on a long journey though the turn times would be something you don't notice.

Offline drmzsz7 (OP)

• d
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 09:34:42 AM »
"But in general you need to be suffering really bad Aurora withdrawals to put up with how much of a pain that experience is."
Haha oh man the shakes are set ng in. Honestly I had an insane amount of fun just with the ship editor function.
On a tablet thats most likely what id use it for.
As for dosbox turbo, well ot runs games up to diablo 2 which isnt all that ancient. Think itll run anything up to direct x 9 considering your hardware is good enough. Ive also heard of specific tablets being able to run eve online on low settings without much problems, threw linux and wine, so I was jusr curious as to if you could do it for aurora which im guessing is more processor and core dependent rather then ram dependent. I recall that being said on a dwarf fortress forum in regards to using splashtop as a tablet processor can't perform the necessary calculations for a direct port.