Author Topic: reserve status for older ship designs  (Read 1633 times)

Offline sneer (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • s
reserve status for older ship designs
« on: September 29, 2013, 04:09:27 AM »
I'm progressing nicely in my game
get new nice technologies but reached point where speed of technological advance get slower
build new state of the art ships but
now I have 3rd generation of my ships ready to be built
previous generations are  grouped within 2 fleets based on their speed
I try to maximize fleet strenght but keep watching on my mineral levels and as I'm close to bottleneck on 2 of them I take care of maintanance cost
Even 2 generations older ships are still combat ready with new missiles
I would be happy to put them in the reserve at my homeworld ( just in case I got cornered in the future)

For a price of readiness and grade I'd like to see maintanance to be lowered significantly for them

now the only valid option is
a) to keep a bit obsolete ship in main battle line for full cost ( and make use of accumulated experiance)
b) scrap them for minerals
c) throw then on nearest star swarm/precursors
neither is really perfect

Offline Alfapiomega

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
Re: reserve status for older ship designs
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 05:59:15 AM »
If you put a ship above a planet that has maintenance facilities it will stop aging. Though I have no idea about maintenance costs. This simulates the obsolete yet still useful part you talked about.
"Everything is possible until you make a choice. "

Offline sneer (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 07:04:23 AM »
I dont mind clock
I think about upkeep cost in maintenence facilities

something like ship in reserve status has 1/10th mineral maintanace cost /still requires maintenece facilities in a place it is parked
returns to full readines lets say after 1 month /10kt of its mass and after paying full year maintanance mineral cost
( you may have also entry conservation payment - to prevent too much movement in reserves )

that would allow to store a bit obsolete ship and not necessary to scrap them

loss of grade while in reserve status is diffrent matter , should be significant
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 07:12:03 AM by sneer »

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 07:36:39 AM »
There's always more things that need defenders than you have ships, in my experience. Maintenance isn't really that expensive.  I only junk truely obsolete ships.  Limited electronics upgrades can go a long way to keeping older ships viable without refits getting too expensive.  You could also refit them specifically as long duration patrol ships with decreased capability in favor of endurance.  

Another option is construct a junkyard PDC with big hangars and stuff old ships in there.  

I'm not sayin Mothballs shouldn't be a thing, but I gather that it was kinda easy to abuse in Starfire...  maybe that's why it's not in.

Offline sneer (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 03:41:46 PM »
worst thing I can imagine is to try to defend everything ...
you defend what you can't replace or is too difficult to replace ...
homeworld , main industrial systems etc
crossroads , jump bottlenecks should be patroled only and rest is ok with deep space tracking stations

still I have too much tonnage in the line to put new flotilla in shipyards
and reserve fleet woulb perfect tool to solve such situation

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 04:32:09 PM »
I also find myself to have too much to defend and too little ships to do it effectively.

Since I usually role-play my government to be based on humanistic/democratic ideas I must insure as much safety to all my colonies with priority to those with populations on them.

I will scrap ships when they simply are too costly to refit or they are above fifty years old and arrive at their next overhaul. Basically a role-playing thing where I expect a ship to start beginning to become too expensive to maintain due to old age and strain on the superstructure of the ship.

This will make sure I use as much of all my ships as I can for as long as I can. Having ships around for about fifty years will usually give me a good chunk of old outdated ships with some modern systems on them. These are used to patrol less threatened areas and/or act as a strategic reserve, these ships also tend to be quite cheap to maintain in comparison with newer ships so maintenance cost should not be much of a problem.

I will, though, scrap ships after a major war if that war drags on for an extended period. I usually cap my expenditure on fleet construction/maintenance during peacetime to a relatively low value. But again, this is mainly for role-play purposes and will depend highly on the political climate that the federation is facing at any given time.

Although, i do agree that ships should be able to be mothballed. In reality space is the ideal place for storing something for extended periods without succumbing to deteriorating conditions of an atmosphere and/or gravitational forces. As long as it takes some considerable amount of time to get them to operational status for game balance sake I would be all for it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 02:03:28 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline sneer (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 04:49:06 AM »
My starting govermnet type is Meritocracy :) so max efficiency is required at every step
mineral costs in general are not very high but I have one painful and one potential bottleneck
that's why I look for efficiency as now I had to slow introducing 3rd generation warships and let spece expansion continue

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 08:22:27 AM »
My starting govermnet type is Meritocracy :) so max efficiency is required at every step

A side note:  IIRC the intent is that your government type be "Player Race"; the other types are for NPR (non-player races).  And the reason that Aurora doesn't hide them is that you can still generate Human-controlled (role-played) NPR, not just computer-controlled ones.

OTOH, whatever floats your boat :)

John

Offline sneer (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 08:42:45 AM »
ahhh
I did not know
I could choose in start setup so I did  ;D
unless something is in the code the diffrences are not huge