Author Topic: how to update a ship once i change it's class design?  (Read 3694 times)

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
how to update a ship once i change it's class design?
« on: June 09, 2013, 04:13:39 PM »
I accidentally ordered some ships via "Fast OB" before realizing that I needed some more engineering spaces (I thought it was a civilian model but the grav sensor made it military).   I've updated the design in the class-design window.   Now, is it possible to re-fit the ships I previously ordered to match the new design?  Or is scrapping them and doing it over my only option?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: how to update a ship once i change it's class design?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 04:43:31 PM »
If you go to the F6 window and look at each ship individually, you should see the designs updated.  I am not sure if the extra supplies will be loaded by doing this.  You might want to check that after updating the designs.

Brian

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 09:51:16 PM »
Are you saying that all already-built ships of the class will receive the upgrade instantly and for free?  That's generous if a bit unrealistic.   That seemed to be what happened, but I thought it might be because I was in spacemaster mode at the time.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 11:07:34 PM »
This is a SM function which allows you to "cheat".

If you want to do a proper refit, you have to make a new design, not edit the existing one, tool a shipyard to the new design (if the changes are small, you might be able to build both versions from the same yard, i.e. you can use the yard tooled to build the old design) and start a refit for the ships you want to change.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 02:21:37 PM »

If you want to do a proper refit, you have to make a new design, not edit the existing one, tool a shipyard to the new design (if the changes are small, you might be able to build both versions from the same yard, i.e. you can use the yard tooled to build the old design) and start a refit for the ships you want to change.

Like Hawkeye said but to spare you some tedious work use the "Copy design" button. Then you just replace the parts you want with newer tec.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 08:16:26 AM »

There is also a computer science issue here.  Each Ship instance effectively points to (in a relational DB sort of way) a Class Design instance.  It also has some cached local data that depends on the design data.

When you change a design, you're changing the corresponding class instance.  Since the ships point to that instance, you've just changed their state.  This is why "locking" is present for designs - it effectively puts the design instance into a read-only state, so you don't get a side-effect on the ships if you change it.  When you unlock the design and modify it, you're doing something the program doesn't really intend for you to do.  The way it's intended for you to change the design of a ship is to do a refit to a new, modified design.

The reason this is important is the cached local data in the ships.  It does NOT get updated when you change the design.  Instead, it gets refreshed at other spots in the code.  This is why (I'm 99% sure) Brian told you to look at each ship - the act of viewing the ship updates the local cache.

So one thing to be aware of:  please do NOT log bugs if you've unlocked a design and modified it and the ships that are using it are acting weird.  You're skiing out of bounds the moment you modified a design that ships are using....

John