Author Topic: Synchronicity  (Read 6617 times)

Offline Theodidactus (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Synchronicity
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 07:58:44 PM »
last plug: giving a big talk on self-publishing and ebook promotion at my library on october 30th, I will be telling them what worked and didn't work (IE shilling this on twitter, shilling this using google adwords, ect)
If you bought it, post a review!
If you didn't buy it. buy it.
Or don't.
Whatever :P
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MXYA0B0
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 03:58:47 AM »
Yay for whatever! 
Ok so I'm posting just to show I'm still reading your plugs, also I read one of the interviews, it was mildly enlightening.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 11:23:01 AM »
Forum posts don't work, really.

Best results to worst goes

Facebook (natural)
Twitter (natural)
Academic networks (natural)
dedicated website
goodreads
forums (fora?)
twitter (ads)
facebook (ads)
google adwords (ads)

this broadly confirms what I suspected at the outset but I was shocked to see how BADLY web advertising fails (I've done professional web advertising before, theoretically I should be good at it...but practically speaking it's, I believe, Random if you're not selling a physical product) I cannot trace one sale to google adwords activity at all. and can only trace one sale to twitter.

though someone did just pull one from kindle unlimited in the last half-hour and I have no idea where that one came from...but of course I have no idea how kindle unlimited works and I'm fairly certain no one at amazon does either. At least, calling them hasn't turned up someone that can explain how I get paid via that system
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 12:56:46 PM by Theodidactus »
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 12:39:43 PM »
I spent some money on facebook ads. Got something like 10k impressions, and zero buys.

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 12:43:21 PM »
yeah, that exactly mirrors my experiences thus far.

What I think is especially interesting about this is how closely it tracks the advice more realistic authors like vonnegut gave at workshops, namely, writing is something you do after you successfully do something else. (he started every workshop by writing "What will you do for a JOB" on the board) By far the best results I've got were by saying to colleagues "Oh, incidentally, I wrote a fiction book that portrays issue X, or features a character who has job/belief system Y", and the best online advertising I've done is through organic facebook and twitter followers (IE just saying "Hey everyone, I wrote a book")

So if you want to sell a book, you need to have lots of friends and colleagues and resources.
or to put it another way: if you want to sell a book, you need to be successful.

I used to do advertising using social media, depressing job because unless you're peddling something that's OBVIOUSLY worth buying (IE quality leather handbags) you don't get a noticeable result. Facebook ads in particular are a borderline scam operation. I can think of almost no time to employ them unless you are actually trying to acquire braindead groupies. THe best analysis I've seen was actually from a science series on youtube:

I also did posters with QR-codes, those have had no effect as well, which is odd because the posters are pretty uh...jarring.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 12:58:46 PM by Theodidactus »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2014, 04:10:22 AM »
Actually I wanted to see those QR posters, they seemed interesting when mentioned in one of thsoe interviews.
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2014, 04:46:33 PM »
Actually I wanted to see those QR posters, they seemed interesting when mentioned in one of thsoe interviews.

They look exactly like the posters I put earlier on this thread but they have a QR code in the top right or bottom left. Particularly cool effect in the case of the "end of YOUR world" posters because those are designed to look like something printed off by a lunatic in an abandoned church or something.

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 03:35:44 PM »
For the next 4 days my book is free to buy from Amazon.com

Also, for any other self published authors: I found a way to increase my sales by roughly 2,000%
it's depressing, but you can read about it here: http://www.theodidactus.com/selling-synchronicity-i-found-a-way-to-increase-my-ebook-sales-by-2000/

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 05:24:20 PM »
For the next 4 days my book is free to buy from Amazon.com

Also, for any other self published authors: I found a way to increase my sales by roughly 2,000%
it's depressing, but you can read about it here: http://www.theodidactus.com/selling-synchronicity-i-found-a-way-to-increase-my-ebook-sales-by-2000/
Is giving stuff away good for boosting sales? 
Edit: I'll read this just as soon as I can work out how to get it onto my iPhone.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:05:21 AM by MarcAFK »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 12:51:14 AM »
So this is a bump, also Theodidactus hasn't posted for 10 months. But I'm wondering what the final result of the amazon publishing was. I've noticed your stories are available to download straight from your website now.