Author Topic: Game Mechanics Question: Sensor Resolution  (Read 955 times)

Offline Fistandantillus7 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • F
  • Discord Username: Fistandantillus7#1567
Game Mechanics Question: Sensor Resolution
« on: May 10, 2020, 01:05:40 PM »
I designed these two active search sensors, one for small ships and the other for 'larger' ships.  As you can see one has a resolution of HS50 at 52+ million km and the other has a resolution of HS500 at 202+ million km.

Between 0 and 52m km the small HS50 ship sensor is clearly superior.  But what about further away?

Can the small HS50 ship sensor see anything beyond 52m km? If there was a HS500 ship 60m km away would the small HS50 ship sensor see anything or is it beyond the maximum detection range of this sensor?

Offline kenlon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • k
Re: Game Mechanics Question: Sensor Resolution
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 01:15:42 PM »
Beyond the max range of an active sensor you will see nothing. It's just like dealing with radar in real life - if something is too far away, you won't get enough of a return from it for your sensor to pick up usefully. The only way to increase range is to use a larger emitter/receiver (higher HS) or use a wavelength that gets further while remaining usefully coherent (higher resolution), but that means you lose the ability to detect smaller things well.

You will want to have coverage of both kinds in your fleets - I usually mount a few large Deep Scan Arrays (5000+resolution, 2kt+) on larger ships alongside the standard AEMW units (100 resolution, 500t) that go on pretty much everything. Antimissile radars go onto dedicated PD ships. I do tend to build my ships big (100Kt+ for my line vessels), so YMMV on how big you make yours.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 01:25:26 PM by kenlon »

The following users thanked this post: Fistandantillus7