Author Topic: setting up NPR's  (Read 2333 times)

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
setting up NPR's
« on: September 05, 2015, 06:52:01 AM »
I figured I would give a new game a shot and this time try out the multi faction Earth style start. Now I also want to try an emulate a situation where conflict will come and end up with very little of humanity being spread across the factions and more of a unified species situation. To help this I figured if I set the factions up as low power/tech as possible it should reduce the rate at which they spread beyond the main sol system before war ensues.

Being the first time I have dabbled in this area I do have some questions. Firstly if I start the game with just one race (player race) and then create more races using SM can I then turn them over to the computer to run as an NPR and will they then function fully as per any other NPR that had been created by the game?
Secondly I understand how that any NPR that is pre trans newtonian will simply lie about on their planet waiting to be squished. But is the Trans newtonian tech the only one needed to trigger an NPR into playing and growing like a full player race? If I create a new empire and SM them just the TN tech before turning them over to the AI will they function fully?
Finally regarding the peace counter clock, does this apply only to races who have been created at exactly the same moment as each other (for example two NPR's who appear on two planets in the same system). Or can I create the new factions on Earth before doing any sort of time interval and have them all obey the peace accords as set by the game options to begin with?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: setting up NPR's
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 08:20:24 AM »

Being the first time I have dabbled in this area I do have some questions. Firstly if I start the game with just one race (player race) and then create more races using SM can I then turn them over to the computer to run as an NPR and will they then function fully as per any other NPR that had been created by the game?
No.  Player-controlled NPR are different from computer controlled.  The computer has to create and start with control of any NPR it's going to run.
Secondly I understand how that any NPR that is pre trans newtonian will simply lie about on their planet waiting to be squished. But is the Trans newtonian tech the only one needed to trigger an NPR into playing and growing like a full player race? If I create a new empire and SM them just the TN tech before turning them over to the AI will they function fully?
moot due to 1
Finally regarding the peace counter clock, does this apply only to races who have been created at exactly the same moment as each other (for example two NPR's who appear on two planets in the same system). Or can I create the new factions on Earth before doing any sort of time interval and have them all obey the peace accords as set by the game options to begin with?
Don't remember - you should be able to find Steve's original posts about the peace counter clock in the Mechanics threads.

John

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 09:32:55 AM »
Thanks for the clarification there, I am guessing then that since I cannot transfer a player created race to computer control. The only real way for example to create a USSR style NPR would be to SM a new empire as an NPR, then see what picture and flag they are using and change the actual corresponding files (race/flag.bmp) to match? Or is there any other way of doing this?

Offline Ostia

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • O
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 11:00:22 AM »
Thanks for the clarification there, I am guessing then that since I cannot transfer a player created race to computer control. The only real way for example to create a USSR style NPR would be to SM a new empire as an NPR, then see what picture and flag they are using and change the actual corresponding files (race/flag.bmp) to match? Or is there any other way of doing this?

Designer Mode. But for that you would need the password.

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 05:45:45 PM »
IS it possible to totally delete a player race? I made the mistake of not checking the npr box while creating a new empire in SM mode, I have abandoned the planet from the main F2 screen so that race now has zero population or facilities etc. However I cannot see any way to actually get rid of them entirely, will I have to just invade them with my other player race so there colony is removed that way?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 06:45:53 PM »
IS it possible to totally delete a player race? I made the mistake of not checking the npr box while creating a new empire in SM mode, I have abandoned the planet from the main F2 screen so that race now has zero population or facilities etc. However I cannot see any way to actually get rid of them entirely, will I have to just invade them with my other player race so there colony is removed that way?

You can delete them on the Race Details window (ctrl-F2)