Author Topic: Automated Ship Designs  (Read 2544 times)

Offline Shinanygnz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • S
Automated Ship Designs
« on: October 10, 2007, 04:18:27 PM »
Have you put any thought in to this yet?  I suspect it would be fairly involved to code, what with the variability of tech systems in Aurora, but some base line stuff shouldn't be too hard and would reduce the work load on generating a new race.
I'm thinking an SM popup that would let you set a race's ship size guidelines, ship speeds, favoured weapons, shielding/armour preference, etc., etc., then the program could look at the auto-researched tech, create some tech systems and knock up some initial designs that the SM can review and tweak.
Start with the easy stuff and give new races freighter, survey colony ship, etc designs, then expand on to creating their warships.
You could maybe create the warship designs on a fighting style, e.g. light, fast missile ships or big fast, armoured laser ships, etc.

Stephen
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Shinanygnz »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 04:51:01 PM »
Or even an "export" function so you could save and import later
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline Pete_Keller

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • P
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 09:22:21 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
Or even an "export" function so you could save and import later

I'll add it to the import/export to do list I am working on.

Pete
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Pete_Keller »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Automated Ship Designs
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 07:59:58 AM »
Quote from: "Shinanygnz"
Have you put any thought in to this yet?  I suspect it would be fairly involved to code, what with the variability of tech systems in Aurora, but some base line stuff shouldn't be too hard and would reduce the work load on generating a new race.
I'm thinking an SM popup that would let you set a race's ship size guidelines, ship speeds, favoured weapons, shielding/armour preference, etc., etc., then the program could look at the auto-researched tech, create some tech systems and knock up some initial designs that the SM can review and tweak.
Start with the easy stuff and give new races freighter, survey colony ship, etc designs, then expand on to creating their warships.
You could maybe create the warship designs on a fighting style, e.g. light, fast missile ships or big fast, armoured laser ships, etc.

This is a lot more complex than the automated designs in Starfire Assistant because I have to design all the components before even looking at desiging the ship. However, it is something I plan to get around to eventually. I have looked at it in the past and even written some basic code to design the best possible laser, as a prototype for other similar functions. It will be a huge task though so it may be a while before I attempt it.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 11:27:46 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
This is a lot more complex than the automated designs in Starfire Assistant because I have to design all the components before even looking at desiging the ship. However, it is something I plan to get around to eventually. I have looked at it in the past and even written some basic code to design the best possible laser, as a prototype for other similar functions. It will be a huge task though so it may be a while before I attempt it.

Steve

Instead of automated designs, how about random design strategies for NPR's?  Ratio of engines/defense/offense, types of weapons, size ships, and so on.  The player would still have to design the ships, but this would give them a guideline.  

Kurt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kurt »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 12:57:39 PM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"

Steve

Instead of automated designs, how about random design strategies for NPR's?  Ratio of engines/defense/offense, types of weapons, size ships, and so on.  The player would still have to design the ships, but this would give them a guideline.  

Kurt

Have the lock design button check against the NPR design philosophy too?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »