Author Topic: Looking for a fight,,,anyone there?  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
Looking for a fight,,,anyone there?
« on: January 29, 2010, 07:13:42 PM »
Ok..so I am feeling a little frisky and want to try out my new ships.  I have spread my little wings and traveled to 3 different systems but so far...no NPR's and no precursors.  Is there a table or something in SM mode that can tell me hw many NPRs are out there?  Just want to make sure I'm not alone.  If there are a bunch, I'll settle down and consolidate.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Looking for a fight,,,anyone there?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 07:40:17 PM »
Quote from: "Mikeck"
Ok..so I am feeling a little frisky and want to try out my new ships.  I have spread my little wings and traveled to 3 different systems but so far...no NPR's and no precursors.  Is there a table or something in SM mode that can tell me hw many NPRs are out there?  Just want to make sure I'm not alone.  If there are a bunch, I'll settle down and consolidate.

Did you specify any NPR when you set up the game (there's a box that IIRC defaults to "1")?  If you set it to zero, then there won't be any more since new NPR are generated when a race enters a system.  There are fairly strict limits on potential NPR homeworlds, so don't be surprised if you need to explore a bunch (many 10s) of systems in order to find an NPR.  And don't forget that you probably generated 1000 systems in the initial universe, so the odds of running into an at-start NPR (assuming you generated one) are still pretty low for you.

If you generated an SM race at startup (or even if you didn't - you can alway make one in SM mode), then you can use it to generate new systems until you find one with a habitable world.  There are then SM buttons you can use to create a race on this world, and do it (I think, and maybe only in 4.9x) in such a way that the computer takes control - otherwise you'll need to run it yourself as a 2nd race.  I'm not going into details about the procedure for this since it's more of an expert function - the way to figure it out is a lot of experimenting.  BTW, don't be surprised if it takes 20-40 worlds generated to find a habitable one.

BTW, the direct answer to your question is "you can't get any information about computer-controlled (as opposed to player-controlled) NPR from SM mode".

John

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• M
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 08:11:09 PM »
Thanks.

I believe I set initial npr's to "1" with the understanding that everytime a new system is generated, there is a 30 percent chance of an NPR generation in the next drop down(I followed the create game tutorial setup)...does that sound right? I also went into SM mode and hit the "add npr" button (or whatever its called)...does this mean I created a race that I have to control? I have 4.8.

Is a system "generated" everytime I trnasit a new jump point?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 08:33:06 PM »
Quote from: "Mikeck"
Thanks.

I believe I set initial npr's to "1" with the understanding that everytime a new system is generated, there is a 30 percent chance of an NPR generation in the next drop down(I followed the create game tutorial setup)...does that sound right?
Not quite - these are two separate things.  The "1" means that the computer created a single NPR somewhere else in the universe at the same time it created you.  The 30% is the probability that when someone (you or an NPR) enters a system with a world which meets the criteria for an NPR homeworld, an NPR will be generated.  The italics are because this condition is moderately rare (decent oxygen, temp, gravity, etc.).
I also went into SM mode and hit the "add npr" button (or whatever its called)...does this mean I created a race that I have to control? I have 4.8.
Go to the "game" pulldown in the main menu bar, and pick "select default race" (ctrl-R).  If you only see your race, the answer is no.  If you see another race, the answer is yes :-)

John

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• M
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 09:47:15 PM »
Well there you go!

I guess I will just have to be patient