Author Topic: Salvage  (Read 1913 times)

Offline a1s (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • a
Salvage
« on: January 30, 2010, 06:06:04 PM »
How does it work, what does it do?

I tried salvaging a ship, and upon completion all I got was a message that "minerals" were "salvaged", is that bad luck? or business as usual? more importantly, should I have built some cargo holds into that thing? if not, where were were my minerals sent?
Terran Federation needs you oO000
to edit the Aurorawiki

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Salvage
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 06:15:15 PM »
Quote from: "a1s"
How does it work, what does it do?

I tried salvaging a ship, and upon completion all I got was a message that "minerals" were "salvaged", is that bad luck? or business as usual? more importantly, should I have built some cargo holds into that thing? if not, where were were my minerals sent?

You need to have either cargo holds on your salvage ships, or ships with cargo holds in the same squadron.  Otherwise the stuff you salvaged goes away.  

There is a small chance that you can get some tech when salvaging.  Other than that its just minerals and systems.  

Kurt

Offline a1s (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • a
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 06:25:01 PM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
 Other than that its just minerals and systems.  
Speaking of that, how does one use the systems they have?
Terran Federation needs you oO000
to edit the Aurorawiki

Offline Mikeck

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
Since we're on the subject...how do I scrap my own ships...got some frigates that are waaaayyy obselete. How do o scrap them? Do I send a salvage ship out and "salvage" them?

Btw, thanks to the community for answering these questions...you vets have had a ton lately.

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 07:08:46 PM »
To scrap a ship, move it to a colony with a shipyard and in the manage shipyards tab, set create task to scrap and pick the class of ship you want to scrap, then the specific ship. This will recover for you some of the minerals used in it's construction.

Offline Mikeck

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 08:32:10 PM »
Makes sense. Thank you sir

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 12:57:20 AM »
Quote from: "a1s"
Quote from: "Kurt"
 Other than that its just minerals and systems.  
Speaking of that, how does one use the systems they have?

First, unload them at a colony.

Then there are three possibilities:

1. Scrap them for 30% of the money and minerals that was used in building them.

2. Deconstruct them. If the parts use a higher techlevel than you have researched, you have a small chance of gaining a level. You will not get any minerals or money, however

3. Design a ship, using one or more of the components (alien components are marked with a (D) on the design screen).
When you build this ship and the colony, where you do this, has the components lying around (look at Economics --> Industry screen --> Stockpile) those components will be used.
Note: As those are _alien_ components, you can´t build them yourself, even if you have the tech to build them. So you can only build a ship designed with those parts, when you do have those parts laying around!
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 10:53:08 AM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
First, unload them at a colony.

Note: As those are _alien_ components, you can´t build them yourself, even if you have the tech to build them. So you can only build a ship designed with those parts, when you do have those parts laying around!

When I get alien components that are the same as I am building, ie terraforming module, cryogenic bay etc. I will usually dissasemble them (this results in no net gain for me) and then using sm mode to create them as my systems.  It saves trouble down the road on occasion.  It is a work around to keep things simple, but like some of the others it does not benifit me economically in any way.

Brian