Author Topic: Extreme Range Strike Capability  (Read 5280 times)

Offline Bandus (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
  • Discord Username: Bandus#6943
Extreme Range Strike Capability
« on: December 07, 2012, 11:12:44 AM »
I am faced with a vexing problem in my current game and am pondering many options to resolve the problem. I figured to assist in this I would post the situation here and see what thoughts more experienced players may be able to offer. Some background first:

I settled and established several mining colonies in a binary star system. The secondary star, and its accompanying bodies, are extremely far away from the primary start where the jump points any my populations are located. Extremely far away specifically means 2064.28 billion KM. At best, my warships are equipped to go about 50 billion KM. The problem, beyond the distance, is that I am reasonably sure there is a NPR way out there that has itself been confined to the bodies around the secondary star due to the distance. I am not a fan of waiting around for them to eventually make it to my colonies and want to deal with them.

So, the question is, how to project military force at that distance? Even with refueling tankers I don't see how it would be viable. I've considered designing a more fuel efficient military engine but I'm still not sure at this point it will get me the distance I need and so I am interested in other suggestions.  Thanks!
"Just this once --- everybody lives!" - My Doctor

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Extreme Range Strike Capability
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 11:17:41 AM »
That's what hyper engines are for.

Barring that, Lagrange JP are good.

Barring both of those, you're hosed.

Offline Traveler

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 11:29:18 AM »
Erik, I thought hyper engines were no implemented in the game.  Are they available in 6.21?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 11:36:04 AM »
Erik, I thought hyper engines were no implemented in the game.  Are they available in 6.21?

They used to be. I am unaware if they've been removed. I barely use them as is.

Online bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 11:41:30 AM »
The base tech is available, but the research window doesn't let you add hyper capability. 
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline strych90

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 11:51:27 AM »
you could make a large high efficiency low thrust engine, stick them on a few cheap throw away ships with tons of box launchers or something and large fuel bunkers, and send em out. It'll take them years to get there, but it may work. Maybe a super buoy? really large missile with tons of fuel and some active sensors. Fire a couple at suspect planets to confirm your suspicions. I have no idea if that last one is viable-- probably not. Just bouncin' ideas.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 11:57:24 AM »
Steve disabled hyper drives when the new engine changes were implemented for v6.  When I queried about costs, prior to v6 release, he indicated that it would be re-enabled at some future date but there is additional coding needed related to the main drive changes that has not been addressed yet.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline draanyk

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 02:21:51 PM »
Buoys would probably be a good option, as strych mentioned. Fairly cheap, and you're probably doing research on all of the components you'd need for regular missiles anyway, so it's not wasted research.

As you develop your sensor tech, you could also build a large (50HS) version of an EM, Thermal, or Active sensor. At max tech, it's possible to build Res 1 active sensors with a 6.7 billion km range, so you should be able to build a Res 100 sensor that can see 2.1 Bkm with much less tech. The active sensor might even encourage the NPR to send all of it's ships off towards your active sensor, but probably wouldn't think ahead enough to specify enough deployment time or fuel tankers, so that might be an entertaining way to force the NPR to deplete all of it's resources.  :)

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 02:29:49 PM »
Yeah, sending sensor buoys to the suspect bodies would be my first move here. Once you've narrowed it down either weaponize them or set up some cruise carriers. Commercial engines, generous deployment and fuel, crew and hangar space for a more combat-worthy pinnace, and nothing else. Like a tank on a flatbed trailer

Offline strych90

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 03:08:59 PM »
oh? if buoys would work I would find them, then just scrap the sensors, add a few warheaded missiles and go to town.

Offline Shaitan

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 08:37:36 PM »
Shame missiles burn all their fuel in one go, 'twould be amusing to have a missile design that accelerated to some predetermined fraction of c, then coasted to an assigned point in space before burning the remainder of its fuel in course corrections and final acceleration to target. MIRV the coasting delivery bus for extra fun and games. Set up a pdc or twenty and just start a non stop bombardment from across the depths of space. :P

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 09:25:05 PM »
For that, you'll need to wait for newtonian aurora

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 12:31:12 AM »
Carriers with combat warships in them might be a good idea, another would be to send some colony ships, maintenance vessels, an orbital hab, and so on ahead to an asteroid, to be there when you fleet gets there so you can rearm/fuel/rest/overhaul before fighting.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 12:49:00 AM »
Buoys would probably be a good option, as strych mentioned. Fairly cheap, and you're probably doing research on all of the components you'd need for regular missiles anyway, so it's not wasted research.

As you develop your sensor tech, you could also build a large (50HS) version of an EM, Thermal, or Active sensor. At max tech, it's possible to build Res 1 active sensors with a 6.7 billion km range, so you should be able to build a Res 100 sensor that can see 2.1 Bkm with much less tech. The active sensor might even encourage the NPR to send all of it's ships off towards your active sensor, but probably wouldn't think ahead enough to specify enough deployment time or fuel tankers, so that might be an entertaining way to force the NPR to deplete all of it's resources.  :)

nprs get infinite fuel so that isn't an issue.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 07:15:37 AM »
Have some commercial engine ships set up as tugs.  The civvies will be pretty much nothing besides engines and fuel.  They can haul your combat ships out there and then wait for the battle.  Once you win they tow the ships back.  I would probably go with fighters for the actual combat with carriers being towed as it would give you plenty of flexibility.  If fighters don't appeal to you there is always the gunboat option.  build the gunboats for short range flights (1-2 days) have them loaded with missiles and see what you can do.  They are small enough that you may be able to get them into launch range without being seen.

Brian