Author Topic: Combat scenarios  (Read 8550 times)

Offline Count Sessine (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • C
Combat scenarios
« on: November 02, 2014, 06:58:34 PM »
Hi guys

I played a lot of Aurora but not that many actual battles...

I would love to have some scenarios to play through, like for instance, if you have a save right before a battle starts, you could share it with us here along with a brief mission description with your objectives for the battle etc.

For me that would be a lot of fun and very instructive too.

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Combat scenarios
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 08:42:18 PM »
I would like this as well!
I might create some, sounds like fun.

I'm going to do an interactive fiction project soon where folks on the forum will get to decide how I invade an enemy system, but that's more strategic than tactical.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Witty

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 09:20:19 PM »
I've played a few campaigns, but they've all died to boredom/bugs/the 5-second delay death before I ever built a combat fleet  :(

So I'd love some scenarios as well.

Offline DFDelta

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 03:46:14 AM »
Indeed, this is a good idea.

Would be interesting to command ship designs other people made and try to make the best of them in live combat.  ;D
Constant optimism will not solve your problems, but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.

• Chief Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 10:38:08 AM »
Exactly, like an admiral taking command of the fleet on the eve of battle :-)

Let's have 'em... :-)

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 05:19:35 AM »
I love this idea. In fact I think it would be a good use of the ATCA section of the forum, people could post scenarios along with a brief description of the setup and situation, then discuss how they set about handling it and so on. 
I had a game where I set up an NPR then created a fleet and saved a back up just before entering the system.
I replayed that battle several times and learned quite a lot about handling combat effectively. Of course eventually I knew exactly what I was going to go up against and stopped using the save.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline GreatTuna

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 07:23:41 AM »
Commanders,

Zemnoy Soyuz has launched an offensive invasion on Wedgefield Khanate. The Offensive Fleet has already arrived into Altair to perform its mission, but the ships got ambushed by the enemy.

Your objectives are: repel the ambushers, secure the system and launch ground assault on Altair-A II, the home world of Wedgefield.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2qnK3jQHeheb0xTNkQxSm9Obzg/view?usp=sharing

Please note that weapon systems hasn't been assigned to the fire controls.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 09:36:21 AM »
Commanders,

Zemnoy Soyuz has launched an offensive invasion on Wedgefield Khanate. The Offensive Fleet has already arrived into Altair to perform its mission, but the ships got ambushed by the enemy.

Your objectives are: repel the ambushers, secure the system and launch ground assault on Altair-A II, the home world of Wedgefield.

I haven't touched Aurora for months.... But I'll give it a shot.
What's this Aurora wrapper? My Antivirus thinks it's a virus.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 09:42:59 AM by MarcAFK »
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 10:31:11 AM »

It's either the Portable/USB wrapper, or my Backup. Gonna go with the Portable/USB wrapper though.

Offline Witty

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 03:35:20 PM »

it's this to be exact. Definitely not a virus.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 12:15:43 AM »
Yep, It's detected at Tr/dropper gen.7. By Avira. If it's clean i'll just assume it's a false positive.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 08:38:28 AM »
I believe that is the AV finding fault with one of the scripts inside the package. It's been a thorn in the side for the portable release since nearly day 1.

• Chief Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 04:24:05 PM »
Commanders,

Thanks, downloaded it, but the stevefire file is missing?

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 12:14:16 AM »
here's a fun one:

June, 2153, NN3988 system:

At the edge of explored space, the C.S. Ranger, one of the oldest and most distinguished ships in the Concordance, has made contact with hostile alien life. less than a minute ago, the ship's impressive thermal sensor package picked up the characteristic heat signatures of a fleet of Kirov class Autonomous Clan Remnant shiphunters. The Clan, as they are known, are ships under the direction of a malevolent AI bent on the eradication of all organic life...they cannot be negotiated with.

Concordance intelligence on this threat his extremely good, we've been fighting them for almost half a century. The Odds of survival are quite low, but captain Norman has never played by the odds: his ship has defensive weapons, and he aims to use them.

The objective: navigate the Ranger safely out of the NN3988 system, preferably in the direction of Sigma Draconis, the Ranger is the swiss army knife of concordance starships...it can do pretty much anything. This scenario might not be survivable, I haven't even tried it myself, but it's quite a fun challenge.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4rZaAbhHw61LXloNVlNdGZhbTg/view?usp=sharing

caveats: older version of Aurora, and the game already has several errors in team generation (not existentially threatening). LONG game so VERY slow without spacetime bubbling. The Aurora's weapons are weak and intended for last-resort defense. If your ship goes down, help probably won't arrive before the life support shorts out. Again, I will stress: the odds are MASSIVELY against you (I think).
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 12:53:02 AM »
well...if you can do it, you're a better star commander than me. I'm sending a rescue mission now. It's unlikely they'll make it in time.