Author Topic: Proposal for Starting Weapon-based Technologies  (Read 1849 times)

Offline PSI (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
Proposal for Starting Weapon-based Technologies
« on: June 26, 2016, 02:08:54 PM »
Let's say you're doing a conventional start and have just gotten the Trans-Newtonian Technology.

With no other military techs researched, if you want to go into something like lasers, you have to research both Laser Focal Size and Laser Wavelength independently of each other. Only researching one part is valid, but you won't be able to get laser technology unless you have both.

My suggestion is that lasers (and other weapons) should have those starting technologies merged into something like a "Laser Basics". Researching this would give you both the focal size and the wavelength and allow you to start making death rays. Afterwards, the Focal Size and Wavelength technologies would be unlocked for future improvements. This makes more sense to me: initial research should be broad and focus on getting something to work, whereas later research can specialize. Of course, this should apply to other weapons as well (Missile Basics, Gauss Cannon Basics, etc).

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Proposal for Starting Weapon-based Technologies
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 06:13:26 PM »
That does seem like an interesting addition, and would add some level of expansion for conventional start game (which in my mind does need a little work). However my opposing opinion to this is that we already have working versions/concepts of all weapons in the game IRL. We already have weaponized lasers, railguns/coilguns, missiles, and HPMs. We have particle beams used in scientific research, and I don't imagine it would be that difficult to weaponize once we figure out how to miniaturize the magnetic loops. The plasma carronade is basically just a plume of plasma vented directly from a nuclear generator. The only one I can really see that we need a "basics" research for is the meson, but even that we have a "basic" understanding of.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline PSI (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 06:31:38 PM »
"Basics" is a bit of a misnomer then (there's likely a better name for it). Of course, we already know how to use lasers and missiles in real life. However, you would be researching how to adapt those military technologies to Trans-Newtonian minerals. The game's weapons are vastly more powerful than those used in real life, so it's likely that scientists need new insights to fully utilize TNE minerals for those purposes.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 06:44:28 PM »
"Basics" is a bit of a misnomer then (there's likely a better name for it).
How about "TN Weaponization" and have it all in one or have that unlock the research for the basic level of each. Also, to go along with that maybe be could have conventional versions of some of the weapons unlocked by default with a conventional start (but really crappy and of almost no use whatsoever). I just think overall the conventional start needs an overhaul to make transitioning to TN longer and harder (but I know the focus of the game is TN, so this isn't really a priority).
so it's likely that scientists need new insights to fully utilize TNE minerals for those purposes.
That's what I assume the regular "10cm weapon focus" (etc) techs were representing, getting a better understanding of TN materials to create something bigger without losing efficiency. Because if it wasn't that way, then why not be able to build a massive version of the weapon right from the get-go.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline PSI (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 07:15:56 PM »
That's what I assume the regular "10cm weapon focus" (etc) techs were representing, getting a better understanding of TN materials to create something bigger without losing efficiency. Because if it wasn't that way, then why not be able to build a massive version of the weapon right from the get-go.

I imagine those upgrades as being improvements to concepts already established. At the start though, you need a broader, more abstract idea before you can do refining. A "TN Lasers" technology would set up the initial theory and allow you to create lasers, but then you split up laser research into Focal Size and Wavelength technologies. Those would allow you to make improvements to the theory. An example of this is with the ground units. At first, you learn how to convert low-tech divisions into more powerful battalions capable of using TN weapons. Afterwards, you improve on those concepts with things like troop transport, increased ground strength, etc.

From a practical standpoint, this reduces some of the clutter in the research tab as well - if you're not going to use mesons and particle beams, it's no use to have their specialized technologies present in the tab.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 12:58:30 AM »
I have some ideas for more interesting conventional games, conventional versions of weapons would be one, conventional research labs and an intermediary engine technology too, as well as an option to change how fast research is accumulated.
An option to change factory production, research, fuel production, shipyard production, population growth, mining production etc as a percentage during game start and also for each race when it's created, allowing for more flexibility. You could essentially keep the game bogged down at low tech levels for a long time. Another option would be to have a list of disabled technologies.
Whenever I start a conventional game I spend a long time setting up starting research and systems, usually including always adding the base required tech for lasers, missiles, microwaves, sensors etc and having a configuration that I could load with settings I use frequently would be nice.
Even an option to numerically alter the games combat mechanics would be nice. Similar to the production percentages, a global multiplier to engine power output, sensor power, fuel consumption etc.
I've gone off on a bit of a tangent, but many of these things I might be able to change myself if I can find a way of tinkering with the database.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "