Author Topic: Update on Progress  (Read 255397 times)

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Update on Progress
« Reply #810 on: April 10, 2020, 01:00:07 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10096. msg120742#msg120742 date=1586541168
Another video, with a few more missiles this time.  Its about 2560x1440 but if you view in lower res you can still get the general impression. 

This is from the perspective of one NPR (Hegemony of Titan) defending against a missile attack from another NPR (Martian Empire).  The green contacts are Venusian and British Empire, which are neutral.

This is real-time with 5-second increments.  There are two other simultaneous battles happening in other systems.

https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=CSIDMxxgYIs

BTW - not just having fun here :).   I found a bug while running this battle.

Great video again, really nice to see the performance real time and also just the coolness of a battle in C#, at this rate you're becoming a full time youtuber ^^

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #811 on: April 10, 2020, 01:13:38 PM »
Thanks for posting, looking nice and fast. But you didn't answer the most important question. Who won? Or rather who lost less..  :)

I forgot to stop it running, hit a bug and closed it - so I'll let you know who wins the second time through :)

The following users thanked this post: Nori

Offline Son_of_Orion

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #812 on: April 10, 2020, 01:17:09 PM »
This all looks incredible.  I wouldn't be opposed to watching a stream of this, honestly.

The following users thanked this post: SloppyPoet

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #813 on: April 10, 2020, 03:42:39 PM »
Last video for today.

This is the previous engagement replayed, but from the Martian perspective and with a much wider view. The engagement near centre is the one in the previous video (but more compressed). Top left is the Martian fleet that launched the attack. Bottom centre is a Martian terraformer group. Bottom right are some Hegemony freighters. This is real-time 5 second increments using an obfuscated install of Aurora (not debug in IDE). As well as the engagements here, there are three other battles taking place in other systems at the same time. The action is relatively slow in places, because I went for the smoother 5-second interval rather than use a longer-interval and have some increments cut short.

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, kks, RavenStormcaller, Nori, BAGrimm, Kiri, AlitarSemiramis, Protomolecule, Jobran180

Offline Kiri

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • K
« Reply #814 on: April 10, 2020, 03:53:40 PM »
Thank you for these videos, they are beautiful and impressive to watch.  But tbh I had to snicker at the "Horsejuggler" ships.   ;D

Offline kks

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #815 on: April 10, 2020, 04:09:56 PM »
I also find it nice how the NPR protects its terraformers. The freighters didn't have so much luck, it seems.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #816 on: April 10, 2020, 04:35:29 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10096. msg120755#msg120755 date=1586551359
Last video for today.

This is the previous engagement replayed, but from the Martian perspective and with a much wider view.  The engagement near centre is the one in the previous video (but more compressed).  Top left is the Martian fleet that launched the attack.  Bottom centre is a Martian terraformer group.  Bottom right are some Hegemony freighters.  This is real-time 5 second increments using an obfuscated install of Aurora (not debug in IDE).  As well as the engagements here, there are three other battles taking place in other systems at the same time.  The action is relatively slow in places, because I went for the smoother 5-second interval rather than use a longer-interval and have some increments cut short.

https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=PySFPn13lg0

How happy are you with how its going bug wise? Does this look like an ideal scenario where all the pieces have fallen into place?

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #817 on: April 10, 2020, 04:40:33 PM »
I think I am happy now with the combat and the diplomacy. There was a lot of NPR vs NPR combat (as seen in the videos) with no apparent bugs. It isn't perfect, but good enough to release and then tweak. Tomorrow, I will start a new game in the installed version and run the first year or two just to make sure everything functions as expected. This won't a full campaign - I just need to make the installation with obfuscation doesn't have any problems that don't appear in the debug version.

I'm not going to spend time on updating the AAR for Space 1889 - I'll jump straight into the new campaign.

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #818 on: April 10, 2020, 05:28:19 PM »
I think I am happy now with the combat and the diplomacy. There was a lot of NPR vs NPR combat (as seen in the videos) with no apparent bugs. It isn't perfect, but good enough to release and then tweak. Tomorrow, I will start a new game in the installed version and run the first year or two just to make sure everything functions as expected. This won't a full campaign - I just need to make the installation with obfuscation doesn't have any problems that don't appear in the debug version.

I'm not going to spend time on updating the AAR for Space 1889 - I'll jump straight into the new campaign.

But but but I have exams the day after tomorrow.

:)

The following users thanked this post: Luftwolfe

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #819 on: April 10, 2020, 05:32:12 PM »
Quote from: DFNewb link=topic=10096. msg120761#msg120761 date=1586557699
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10096. msg120760#msg120760 date=1586554833
I think I am happy now with the combat and the diplomacy.  There was a lot of NPR vs NPR combat (as seen in the videos) with no apparent bugs.  It isn't perfect, but good enough to release and then tweak.  Tomorrow, I will start a new game in the installed version and run the first year or two just to make sure everything functions as expected.  This won't a full campaign - I just need to make the installation with obfuscation doesn't have any problems that don't appear in the debug version.

But but but I have exams the day after tomorrow.

:)

Better study tonight.

The following users thanked this post: SultanPepper

Offline hadi

• Aurora blind player
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • h
« Reply #820 on: April 10, 2020, 06:23:37 PM »
@steve are there any sorts of  battle logs/reports from that combat you could perhaps paste to pastebin so i could read some of them? :)
At this point, I was suspecting demonic intervention.
-Steve

Offline Geezer

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
« Reply #821 on: April 10, 2020, 07:15:28 PM »
Maybe the Easter Bunny will bring us all a nice gift on Sunday!   ;D
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing - George Bernard Shaw

Offline SultanPepper

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #822 on: April 10, 2020, 08:49:39 PM »
God damn, the complexity that all your work entails.  You are one hell of a coder, sir Steve!

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, bro918

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #823 on: April 11, 2020, 04:45:58 AM »
@steve are there any sorts of  battle logs/reports from that combat you could perhaps paste to pastebin so i could read some of them? :)

I started to write the AAR but given time constraints I am going to leave it and concentrate on testing. I'll post the short report I have up to April 1896.

The following users thanked this post: Marski, littleWolf

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #824 on: April 11, 2020, 08:53:22 AM »
This is real-time video from the new test campaign. These are 5-day increments passing. The player race is conventional but the three NPRs are Trans-Newtonian and are all exploring, building, researching, etc while this video is running.

As this is conventional I will run through a few years for test purposes. I'm just letting this run for demo purposes, but I will go back and react to events.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 08:55:10 AM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: Teckla, Demonides, Sesse, Alsadius, Ektor, Wieseltrupp, Protomolecule