Author Topic: Preset Terrforming Options  (Read 3730 times)

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
Preset Terrforming Options
« on: September 29, 2018, 01:52:46 PM »
SO terraforming is cool and all but its also a major pain in the butt. Whenever I come back to this game I have to relearn how to make Mars habitable. What would be nice is having a drop-down menu that has a few presets for what type of world you want to make with the first one morphing the planet into an earthlike. In addition to the presets you should be able to create your own preset, name it, and save it.

I know Aurora isn't meant to be easy-to-use but this would really make the game more of a joy to play. Knowing I'll have to deal with the minutia of terraforming is more often than not what makes me hesitate when picking the game back up again.

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
Re: Preset Terrforming Options
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 02:36:16 PM »
Made a similar suggestion some time ago. Give the complete final mixture of the atmosphere for the user to set (showing all the final variables), and then give the terraforming a go. Rather then having to do it gas by gas as a guessing game... .

Some kind of target atmosphere list would be nice :-)

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 02:43:02 PM »
Made a similar suggestion some time ago. Give the complete final mixture of the atmosphere for the user to set (showing all the final variables), and then give the terraforming a go. Rather then having to do it gas by gas as a guessing game... .

Some kind of target atmosphere list would be nice :-)

That's a good idea.  Have a list of possible goals, and select one.  Aurora could then tell you, based on the current # of terraformers and your tech, how long it was going to take to modify the current atmosphere to the intended goal. 

That would be really handy. 

Kurt

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 07:00:39 PM »
It would definitely be handy, but would it be easy to code?  I wouldn't want Steve spending a week on this instead of NPR AI.

I expect we could solve 80% of the problem if we could just queue terraforming instructions.    "Sulfuric acid to 0; CO2 to 0;  Methane to 0;  Oxygen to 0.2;  Nitrogen to 0.7;" should handle most of it.  All that really varies is greenhouse/anti-greenhouse levels.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 09:21:20 AM »
When I get home, I'll upload the Terraforming Excel sheet to my Dropbox and share the link here. It takes all the pain away from Terraforming. You just plug in the base temperature and the albedo of a body, as well as the target temperature, and Excel does the rest, showing you how much CO2 you need to add to otherwise Earth-like atmosphere to reach target temperature. It even tells you if target temperature is impossible to reach.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 10:12:30 AM »
Citing Steve in the Terraforming Update post in the #C Aurora changes thread:
4)   Carbon Dioxide is now a dangerous gas.

You'll need to look for a new safe greenhouse gas I'm afraid.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 10:14:48 AM »
Only in too high concentrations! It can still be used in low concentrations, but you're right, for many cases we'll have to switch to "Safe Greenhouse Gas" unfortunately.

Dangerous Gas: If a dangerous gas is present in the atmosphere and the concentration is above the danger level, the colony cost factor for dangerous gases will either be 2.00 or 3.00, depending on the gas. Different gases require different concentrations before becoming 'dangerous'. Halogens such as Chlorine, Bromine or Flourine are the most dangerous at 1 ppm, followed by Nitrogen Dioxide and Sulphur Dioxide at 5 ppm. Hydrogen Sulphide is 20 ppm, Carbon Monoxide and Ammonia are 50 ppm, Hydrogen, Methane (if an oxygen breather) and Oxygen (if a Methane breather) are at 500 ppm and Carbon Dioxide is at 5000 ppm (0.5% of atmosphere).

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 12:13:13 PM »
Only in too high concentrations! It can still be used in low concentrations, but you're right, for many cases we'll have to switch to "Safe Greenhouse Gas" unfortunately.

Dangerous Gas: If a dangerous gas is present in the atmosphere and the concentration is above the danger level, the colony cost factor for dangerous gases will either be 2.00 or 3.00, depending on the gas. Different gases require different concentrations before becoming 'dangerous'. Halogens such as Chlorine, Bromine or Flourine are the most dangerous at 1 ppm, followed by Nitrogen Dioxide and Sulphur Dioxide at 5 ppm. Hydrogen Sulphide is 20 ppm, Carbon Monoxide and Ammonia are 50 ppm, Hydrogen, Methane (if an oxygen breather) and Oxygen (if a Methane breather) are at 500 ppm and Carbon Dioxide is at 5000 ppm (0.5% of atmosphere).

Safe Greenhouse gas is now Aestusium and anti-greenhouse is Frigusium.

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 03:34:50 PM »
Thanks, that will help preserve my immersion!

Offline maxfire

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • m
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 12:54:27 AM »
You still can't preset every possible body in game.
I'd rather prefer smthng like "add greenhouse till >=0°C" instead of targeting pressure.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 05:21:55 AM »
Damnit, I liked having 5% CO2 worlds. Suffer puny humans.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 07:04:30 AM »
Presets don’t make sense in that planets are too different, true. My idea rather went into the direction of having a dialog where you set all desired gasses and which shows you the outcome temperature and habitability, and when you press the GO button the rest is done automatically by Aurora until the goal is reached. So not so much micromanagement after every set gas... and no more guesswork.