Author Topic: Colonial Police Force  (Read 2397 times)

Offline Steelpoint (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
Colonial Police Force
« on: May 05, 2020, 02:09:53 AM »
During my first real game of Aurora I had begun the colonisation of Mars, as I was yet at a stage where I had a need, or technology, to create an effective space military fleet I decided to deploy ground forces to Mars to keep the peace, but I found the idea of using military forces as a police force, at least for a democratic government during peace time, to be very odd.  So I've tried to theme a form of Colonial Police for deployment on far flung colonies.   I'm not very well versed on real world police organisation so I've tried to create a system from scratch. 

My head canon is that Earth has a well integrated police force with hundreds of years of buildup and thus has no need for a Colonial Police detachment

----------------------

Colonial Police operate under a Division subset, with each division hosting two standard Police Sub-divisions, which conduct standard policing operations, and one Tactical Intervention Force for high intensity operations typical for Earth based SWAT/TRG/OMON/etc etc. 

Each Sub-Division holds the following:
  • 240 Colonial Police Officers (Inf, Light Personal Weapon)
  • 45 GT-200 Pursuit Vehicles (Light VH, Crew-Served Anti-Personal)

The concept is the Sub-Division operate within a set jurisdiction and conduct standard policing operations, the officers and vehicles should be highly modular to ensure effective operation in a wide array of enviroments.

Each Tactical Intervention Force holds the following:
  • 84 Tactical Response Officers (Inf, Personal Weapon)
  • 16 Tactical Response Officers: LAV (Inf, Light Anti-Vehicle)
  • 16 M200-C Viper APCs (Medium VH, 2x Crew-Served Anti-Personal)
  • 4 M401-C Storm AA (Light VH, Light Anti-Aircraft)
  • MT1100-C Logistical Transport (Logistics Module)

The TIF typically use surplus military hardware such as APCs and even anti-air vehicles, while somewhat excessive, considering the CPF and TIF will be operating in solar systems far, far, away from Earth, they should be prepared to handle any form of criminal or insurrectionist activity.  They may gain more modern or expanded arsenals in the future as needed.

Each of these two sub-divisions and single TIF are headed by a Colonial Police Division, which contains:
  • 10 Colonial Police Officers
  • 2 Mobile Command Vehicles (Light VH, HQ1000)
  • 2 MT1100-C Logistical Vehicles

----------------------

This is simply my execution of a Police force in in a typical Western national style so far.  I'm contemplating, when I expand further, to add Colonial Ships to the CPF roster, I'd imagine they'd use light patrol craft, FACs or Frigates, maybe even dedicated CPF planetary or orbital hangers .  Also, dedicated transport ships for CPF usage would be useful, instead of relying on my Navel forces to loan military ships for transport duties. 

I'd be very interested to hear other people's thoughts on how they would layout a Police force in any style, or feedback on how better to expand a Police force.

(I've not really gotten into if these are actually good at combat, I imagine they'd give a token resistance, if there was a real military threat then they'd likely be supplemented by actual Army units)

Thank you.

The following users thanked this post: CarloTheCurious, Cinnius

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
Re: Colonial Police Force
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 02:46:33 AM »
So its basically a combo of the USCM (Alien universe variant.) whatever the colonial force was called in Halo and a standard SWAT team? Sounds reasonable enough.

Offline Steelpoint (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 03:10:11 AM »
I took inspiration mostly from the Colonial Marshals from the Aliens universe and the Inter-Solar Police Force from Cowboy Bebop, though significantly less corrupt and more efficient. 

The following users thanked this post: Gabethebaldandbold

Offline Gabethebaldandbold

• last member of the noob swarm
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 12:27:57 PM »
I took inspiration mostly from the Colonial Marshals from the Aliens universe and the Inter-Solar Police Force from Cowboy Bebop, though significantly less corrupt and more efficient.
well... for now. gotta keep those mining billionaires in check you know, otherwise they gonna check you.
To beam, or not to beam.   That is the question
the answer is you beam. and you better beam hard.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 03:42:48 AM »
Seems well laid and realistic to me.

You can add several low-capacity HQs and their capacity cumulate or that's just for redundancy purpose?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 04:00:05 AM »
Seems well laid and realistic to me.

You can add several low-capacity HQs and their capacity cumulate or that's just for redundancy purpose?

More HQs in same formation are for redundancy, their HQ capacity doesn't stack.

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5

Offline Steelpoint (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 02:29:07 AM »
I'm not at all versed in the concepts of HQ capacity, I only recently realised you can change the HQ size in the unit creator.  I'd change the numbers around to be more fitting.

I had two command vehicles since I figured it'd make sense for a division to have multiple HQ vehicles. 

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 02:35:44 AM »
It is definitely better to have more HQ in your front line combat formation, because there is risk of casualties even for HQ units that should be marked as avoid combat.

Don't forget that there is also Ground Combat Command stat for your ground commanders that tells you how big unit they can handle without penalties. If you have 500000 tons combat formation, you ideally want commander that can handle it.