Author Topic: This is one of those games I really want to get into...  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Son_of_Orion (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
This is one of those games I really want to get into...
« on: June 18, 2012, 11:33:20 AM »
.  .  .  But I just can't figure it out.   Aurora looks absolutely outstanding.   The detail is unreal.  .  .  I just can't seem to figure it out.   The thing that bugs me the most is ship design.   It's just intimidating, having all these options.   I don't really know how exactly I should build my ship.   Other than that, well.  .  .  I just don't know where to go, what to do.  It's all so confusing.  Dwarf Fortress was easier than this.  :P

I've read the tutorial.   Several times in fact, and I'm still stumped.  I really wish I could get the hang of this.   :(
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 11:35:00 AM by Son_of_Orion »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: This is one of those games I really want to get into...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 11:39:30 AM »
.  .  .  But I just can't figure it out.   Aurora looks absolutely outstanding.   The detail is unreal.  .  .  I just can't seem to figure it out.   The thing that bugs me the most is ship design.   It's just intimidating, having all these options.   I don't really know how exactly I should build my ship.   Other than that, well.  .  .  I just don't know where to go, what to do.  It's all so confusing.  Dwarf Fortress was easier than this.  :P

I've read the tutorial.   Several times in fact, and I'm still stumped.  I really wish I could get the hang of this.   :(

The tutorials, the wiki, the fiction posted (with ship designs), Steve's game in the db all should help you get an idea of ship design. You can also ask direct questions here and get answers.

At its base, a ship needs engines, fuel, crew, and some maintenance. You then start adding components based on the ship's intended purpose. Missile ship? Add magazines, launchers, missile fire control and a sensor. Survey ship? Add lots more fuel and geo or grav scanners.

The first step is really deciding what purpose the ship has. Then from there deciding how you want to accomplish that with the given tech you have.

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 11:55:16 AM »
Well, alright.  I'll try looking at other sections.  Hopefully, I will have better luck after looking at them.  Thanks.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 11:58:47 AM »
Well, alright.  I'll try looking at other sections.  Hopefully, I will have better luck after looking at them.  Thanks.

And ask specifc questions :)

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 12:35:53 PM »
Personally, I didn't even touch warships until about my 4th game for that reason, so I do understand what you mean. Luckily I actually never ran into a single NPC somehow before then. Then about my 4th game, I deliberately turned off all NPC's, did a multiple faction start all controlled by me, and messed around with some warship designs to get a feel for them before I dove into fighting actual enemies.

So really I would say take it one step at a time. The first sort of ships you will be designing will be things like survey vessels and freighters which are easy enough to get working. They just need some engines and geological sensors or cargo holds. Your first designs probably won't be the best things ever, but then they really aren't expected to be.

I also happen to prefer conventional starts because they ease me into the game without overwhelming me with options from the outset. But that's just my personal preference. Of course, come back here and ask if you need help I think everyone does that quite a lot at first.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 12:46:27 PM »
I too, was completely blown away by the complexity.  I was simultaneously in awe and dumbfounded stupor when trying to figure it out.  I have never needed a manual to figure out how to play a video game in my life.  I gave up after less then 5 minutes.

So I started reading the wiki and forums.  The wiki tutorials are wholly inadequate and very outdated but provide a nice reference point for a technical how-to.  As for learning how to play: the fiction is where it is at.  For a great story and a great reference on play style the NATO vs Soviets is an excellent resource.

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 02:45:38 PM »
Your tips are highly appreciated.  I'll keep your advice in mind, check out the fiction and ask questions when help is needed.  :)

Offline MehMuffin

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M

Offline jRides

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • j
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 11:25:15 AM »
To get my head around ships I basically rebuilt all the NATO designs Steve did in his NATO vs Soviet Union Campaign. In the setup posts he talks about the various ships and their roles. I also didn't touch laser armed ships and turrets for a while, concentrating on missile armed ships and fighters. That, and perusing these forums is a lot of help.

Offline Shininglight

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 06:55:55 PM »
it's taken me awhile to figure out this game as well. Admitadley i've only been playing a few months so i still ask dumb questions but thats the best part, i've seen a good community here with helpful friendly people. Anyways don't give up, keep at it and you'll figure out how to do it. Ship design (military that is) was a right @&$£@ when i started but there's a way. I promise.
Admiral Damien James Winter, Defender of the Proxima Gate.