Author Topic: Sotak246's T.E. ships  (Read 2641 times)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Sotak246's T.E. ships
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 06:50:48 AM »
Quote from: "Paul M"
I don't see why the ships speed is a factor at all.  This seems to be a total unnecessary complication.  If ships were rated for agility that might make sense (what the ships yaw or pitch rate is) as it is in Attack Vector Tactical or Squadron Strike but absolute maximum or current velocity plays little role in bringing a hardpoint to bear.

It was to avoid adding the complication of maintaining a separate agility rating for ships - the agility (both for dodging and for tracking) is modeled as being proportional to the ship's speed.

John

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 07:41:53 AM »
I see where my misconception came into play.  I'm always looking at it only from the to-hit assignments and not the weapon speed assignment.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 08:40:11 AM »
Quote from: "Paul M"
I don't see why the ships speed is a factor at all.  This seems to be a total unnecessary complication.  If ships were rated for agility that might make sense (what the ships yaw or pitch rate is) as it is in Attack Vector Tactical or Squadron Strike but absolute maximum or current velocity plays little role in bringing a hardpoint to bear.
There is no separate agility rating for ships in Aurora so the speed is used as the agility instead. I could add an agility rating and use that instead of speed but I thought that would be an unnecessary complication :). I guess it might be worth revisiting at some point though.

Steve

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 12:28:09 PM »
Quote from: "ShadoCat"
FWIW, I don't see a problem with making bases put their weapons in turrets.  Either that or put 1/10th sized engines on bases for rotation speed.  Note that most of the "engine" is the inertial dampener to keep the people from getting squished as the base spins.

Well, the biggest problem with forcing bases to use turrets is that not all weapon types are allowed in turrets -- the utility of Plasma Carronades (for example) goes out the window.