Author Topic: Jump Engines  (Read 1982 times)

Offline davidr (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Jump Engines
« on: April 21, 2020, 04:05:36 AM »
V1.73

What is the minimum prerequisite technologies to enable research of the first jump drive.

I have researched Jump point theory but what else is needed. I go to the Research screen and call up Jump engines but all I get is Jump Engine size and Military/ Commercial type , nothing else.

DavidR

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Jump Engines
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 04:13:41 AM »
50k - jump radius
and Squadron size 3

are the preq

The following users thanked this post: davidr

Offline davidr (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 04:47:36 AM »
Spacemarine

There still seems to be something missing.

Underneath the Type of Research ( i.e.) Jump Engines , The topmost item is blank.

What I have is :-

Blank item
Max Jump Squadron Size -3 ( size x 1.0)
Max Squadron Jump Radius - 50k ( size 1.0)
Jump Engine Size - 15
Military Jump Drive

This is the basic info before I tweak the entries

Also the item description ( 2nd box on the top right ) does not show jump drive info - it repeats previous research info ( at present shows 10cm C1 Infared laser )

Is this bugged or do I need something else.

DavidR

Offline Remon_Kewl

• Leading Rate
  • R
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 04:51:04 AM »
Jump Drive Efficiency.

The following users thanked this post: davidr

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 07:25:30 AM »
I am designing a jump ship. I never noticed that but when I add my Military jump drive, it still says "This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes".

Is it WAI?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 07:55:27 AM by Kaiser »

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 08:51:49 AM »
A commercial vessel for maintenance is not the same as having commercial engines. 

If you add military drive engines to the design, it should change to a military vessel for maintenance. 

Military jump drives do not change the vessel to military  maintenance, although I believe this on the list of items to update in a future release.

The following users thanked this post: Kaiser

Offline Iceranger

• Registered
  • Commander
  • I
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 10:02:20 AM »
although I believe this on the list of items to update in a future release.

Is there a reference for this? Jump drives are commercial components since VB6, regardless of which variant they are. In C# the only change to them is now jump drive type must match engine type (so military JD cannot jump commercial engines anymore).

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 10:12:34 AM »

Is there a reference for this? Jump drives are commercial components since VB6, regardless of which variant they are. In C# the only change to them is now jump drive type must match engine type (so military JD cannot jump commercial engines anymore).
Oh, is that why I thought I remembered military jump tenders not being a maintenance problem...

So while a commercial-engined military jump tender couldn't jump themselves, they could be partnered with commercial-engined commercial jump tenders to form a mobile, maintenance-free unit that can traverse and assist all other ships through jump points.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 07:36:13 PM »
I am designing a jump ship. I never noticed that but when I add my Military jump drive, it still says "This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes".

Is it WAI?
That hasn't changed since VB, and there was nothing about it in Steve's notes so I'd say WAI.  The only catch is that such a ship isn't self-jumping anymore.

A commercial vessel for maintenance is not the same as having commercial engines. 

If you add military drive engines to the design, it should change to a military vessel for maintenance. 

Military jump drives do not change the vessel to military  maintenance, although I believe this on the list of items to update in a future release.
I really hope not.  :(

Oh, is that why I thought I remembered military jump tenders not being a maintenance problem...

So while a commercial-engined military jump tender couldn't jump themselves, they could be partnered with commercial-engined commercial jump tenders to form a mobile, maintenance-free unit that can traverse and assist all other ships through jump points.
They could in VB which is a feature that I miss.  3000t tenders for my survey FACs were a godsend, especially since they also made decent mini-tankers.  The survey ships only needed enough fuel to survey a system and return to the tender, but such support ships aren't possible in C#.