Author Topic: How do you get two ground forces to fight?  (Read 1381 times)

Offline HeroicHan (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • H
How do you get two ground forces to fight?
« on: April 15, 2020, 01:23:48 PM »
I've been piddling around with a multi faction start and can't seem to get any ground forces to engage one another.  Any help on this?

Offline Marslettuce

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
Re: How do you get two ground forces to fight?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 01:25:58 PM »
Are you at war with the other faction?

Offline HeroicHan (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • H
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 01:37:53 PM »
So I don't really know what 'at war' means.  In vb6 there are tick boxes for hostile, neutral, friendly. 
In C#, I've looked all over the intelligence screen, all over the ground forces screen, colony summary.  I've tried SM setting relations on both sides to -200.  I've tried running the game for 10 years in case there was a hidden truce timer or something blocking things. 

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 02:26:41 PM »
So I don't really know what 'at war' means.  In vb6 there are tick boxes for hostile, neutral, friendly. 
In C#, I've looked all over the intelligence screen, all over the ground forces screen, colony summary.  I've tried SM setting relations on both sides to -200.  I've tried running the game for 10 years in case there was a hidden truce timer or something blocking things.

Well, a quick short cut with Aurora-controlled NPR is to start shooting their ships with your ships.  That should get them hating you and shooting back in a hurry.

If both sides are player-controlled, the places to look for the ground combat controls is on the colony screen, and on the ground forces design screen.  Check the tabs near the  right end.

Offline HeroicHan (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • H
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 02:37:47 PM »
Like I said, I've checked every window and can't find anything like the vb6 "initiate ground combat" button.

Offline HeroicHan (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • H
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 02:40:37 PM »
Nevermind.  I found where the button should be but it's only there for NPR's.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 02:37:39 AM »
Set the other race to hostile and make sure your units are on the front line and they will fight. As I mentioned in the bug thread it seems that armies fighting both on front line defense don't generate battle reports so make sure your units didn't all get destroyed without you realising it.

Offline HeroicHan (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • H
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 05:13:57 PM »
Yea my issue was I hadn't updated my version to the current one and on the version I had at the time, there just was no hostile/neutral button so it was impossible to toggle war with another player faction. Thanks all.