Author Topic: Research Speed Modifier  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Ektor (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • E
Research Speed Modifier
« on: April 17, 2020, 01:40:48 PM »
Hi, people. Does the research speed modifier that you set when you start a new game applies only to your species or all species generated in that game?

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
Re: Research Speed Modifier
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 01:44:04 PM »
Hi, people. Does the research speed modifier that you set when you start a new game applies only to your species or all species generated in that game?

It applies to all races... it simply reduce the amount of research you get from labs. If you also increase or lower survey speed it impacts everyone.

The following users thanked this post: Ektor

Offline Ektor (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 01:46:53 PM »
Thank you. That will be useful when creating a scenario that I want to keep conventional for a while.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 01:50:45 PM »
YES!! Finally what i have been waiting for.. Something that will allow me to stay in conventional/low tech for 100 years \m/.
God bless you Steve, you magnificent bastard.
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline Ektor (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 04:18:40 PM »
I'm revisiting this thread because I saw someone on the discord say the following thing:

NPRs don't research tech, instead, they get given free techs every couple years by a script, so research speed doesn't affect them.

Can someone confirm this for me?

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 04:44:55 PM »
I'm revisiting this thread because I saw someone on the discord say the following thing:

NPRs don't research tech, instead, they get given free techs every couple years by a script, so research speed doesn't affect them.

If they are which I doubt... at least first time I heard that and I don't think they did in VB6... but if they did that script probably are effected by the modifier too then as it seems they research slower too.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 04:47:54 PM »
So far I have built the first design theme (which is based on missile battlegroups and no jump drives), the tech progression for that theme and the operational group progression. The tech progression is based on ‘Tech Groups’, with each group being series of techs linked to a common theme. So the Lasers tech group includes focal size, wavelength and capacitor recharge rate. The NPR uses its starting tech points to go through the tech progression in order. There can be multiple instances of the same tech group at different points of the progression. Each time the same tech group appears, the NPR will research the next generation techs. Once the game starts, the NPR will continue with the progression. The progression will only include techs that are required for the operational groups in the design theme.

This older quote from this thread seems to imply that NPR's research the same way as players.

In VB6 Aurora, there is general consensus that the NPRs are not great at research so they present less of a challenge over time.

In my current game, which is seven years in, all four NPRs have researched the next generation of engines, designed new and larger ships, retooled shipyards as they become available and began building the new designs. They have both generations in service which adds a lot more variety to NPRs ships and also means the ships you meet on the frontier may not be the latest designs. One NPR has just researched its third generation of engines and designed a third generation of ships, although it hasn't retooled any shipyards yet. I have only just researched my first set of new engines so they are getting ahead of me.

As does this post.

Offline Argoniur

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 04:50:11 PM »
Quote from: Ektor link=topic=10840.  msg126702#msg126702 date=1587503920

I have been playing for almost 60 years on 15% research speed and the NPR I have fought with has same engine as me (ion drives) and about same tech level weaponry, so it works, can't comment on the scrips, if they exist I have never heard of them. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 05:06:28 PM by Argoniur »

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 04:52:19 PM »
Here is another quote from Steve that seem to imply that NPR research as normal...

goddamn cliffhangers  ;D

so are enemy still relatively static in their tech level? is that gonna change before release?

No, not static :)

The new NPR research is a lot better than before, in both planning and execution. Their tech choices are matched with their design theme. In more than one test game the NPRs have gone up tech levels and designed new ships. You will probably run into ships from the same NPR with different levels of tech.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 01:37:35 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline Ektor (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 05:33:55 PM »
Thanks, everybody! ;D