Author Topic: Military Space Station  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Kamilo (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • K
Military Space Station
« on: April 18, 2020, 04:23:19 AM »
How can I make a military space station? Selecting no armor and putting a weapon on it dosent work

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Military Space Station
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 04:24:08 AM »
stations are inherently commercial but you can create engineless ships that act and function like space stations, that require a tug to move around.

The following users thanked this post: Kamilo

Offline Kamilo (OP)

• K
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 04:26:28 AM »
So theoretically it is still a ship, just without an engine. I guess that works, even though it is not a perfect solution.

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 04:27:20 AM »
yes, it functions identically to a space station but requires armour and can use all component types.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 09:42:51 AM »
How can I make a military space station?

You can't.  Space Stations are civilian-only.

Selecting no armor and putting a weapon on it dosent work

Exactly.  If you select "no armour" you can't put military systems on it.  Unselect "no armour" and stick whatever you want on your armour-1 'orbital fortress'.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 10:58:09 AM by Father Tim »

Offline Impassive

• Gold Supporter
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 09:43:47 AM »

You can't.  Spcae Stations are civilian-only.

Exactly.  If you select "no armour" you can't put military systems on it.  Unselect "no armour" and stick whatever you want on your armour-1 'orbital fortress'.

You can think of these engine less ships as Weapons Platforms :)

Offline Kamilo (OP)

• K
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 09:52:28 AM »

You can't.  Spcae Stations are civilian-only.

You can think of these engine less ships as Weapons Platforms :)

Well I guess so. The thought of a pdc just had more charm to me.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 06:44:08 PM »
A station is ANY construction in space with NO engines... period.

The difference is that a station with no armour and no military components can be built by construction factories on any world where you have a space station. Also having no armour will save you quite some cost for space stations, especially in the early game.

Other than that every structure in space with no engines is a station.

The point behind the reason to build space stations with factories are that commercial station can be quite large and you don't need construction yards to build them. When stations start to grow to ridiculous sizes then having yards to build them become a bit unfeasible.

Offline VimWabbit

• Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 11:29:35 AM »
I like to approach stations as modules:
Like a main section, possibly some cargo, some extra fuel, abit of ordnance, some shuttles. . . 
Then depending on what type of Station I want; just tractor other station bits on 'Recreational Space Telescope', 'Fuel harvester array', 'Maintenance station mod' and ofc. . .  military platforms/stations(Built from shipyards) like weapon platforms, fighter hangar, sensor platforms, PD platform' etc.  Slap it all into one group and call it Station X.   Modular space station, compromised of bits and pieces of civilian and military gear.  Abit mjeh to tractor around all the bits to, thankfully don't move stations to often :P

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 11:31:55 AM »
Like a main section, possibly some cargo, some extra fuel, abit of ordnance, some shuttles. . . 
Then depending on what type of Station I want; just tractor other station bits on 'Recreational Space Telescope', 'Fuel harvester array', 'Maintenance station mod' and ofc. . .  military platforms/stations(Built from shipyards) like weapon platforms, fighter hangar, sensor platforms, PD platform' etc.  Slap it all into one group and call it Station X.   Modular space station, compromised of bits and pieces of civilian and military gear.  Abit mjeh to tractor around all the bits to, thankfully don't move stations to often :P

Moving them around is not so bad as you can just do a cycle order for it, just takes time depending on your tugs and the station sizes.

Offline VimWabbit

• Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 12:14:02 PM »
Quote from: DFNewb link=topic=10878. msg125767#msg125767 date=1587313915
Quote from: VimWabbit link=topic=10878. msg125765#msg125765 date=1587313775
Like a main section, possibly some cargo, some extra fuel, abit of ordnance, some shuttles.  .  .   
Then depending on what type of Station I want; just tractor other station bits on 'Recreational Space Telescope', 'Fuel harvester array', 'Maintenance station mod' and ofc.  .  .   military platforms/stations(Built from shipyards) like weapon platforms, fighter hangar, sensor platforms, PD platform' etc.   Slap it all into one group and call it Station X.    Modular space station, compromised of bits and pieces of civilian and military gear.   Abit mjeh to tractor around all the bits to, thankfully don't move stations to often :P

Moving them around is not so bad as you can just do a cycle order for it, just takes time depending on your tugs and the station sizes.
Oh right, we can tractor any ship order?!? O_O
. . . DOH!
Thanks!