Author Topic: Similar shipbuilding  (Read 1321 times)

Offline srndacful (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • s
Similar shipbuilding
« on: April 18, 2020, 07:51:12 AM »
Hello!

In VB6, ship classes of similar size and composition could sometimes be built in the same shipyard with no retooling necessary. 
I can see no indication that this has been turned off in C#, so I suppose it's still there - so if some kind soul can point me to the place where I can easily see if the two classes are similar enough, I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance.
srndacful

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Similar shipbuilding
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 07:55:55 AM »
I think that is on the to-do list, once most bugs have been squashed. You can definitely still build similar ships from the same shipyard, but there doesn't yet seem to be a way to see compatible ships. You would have to do the calculations yourself.

The following users thanked this post: srndacful

Offline Tyrope

• Leading Rate
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 08:50:53 AM »
Quote from: smoelf link=topic=10883. msg125147#msg125147 date=1587214555
You would have to do the calculations yourself.
Does that still use the formula from the VB version? (The following is a quote from the wiki)

For a second class to qualify as eligible for construction, it must be possible to refit a ship of the primary class to that class for less than 20% of the primary ship class cost. 

Offline Pedroig

• Lt. Commander
  • P
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 09:23:40 AM »
Refit cost needs to be less than 15% of the build cost, this accounts for a 10% "refit upcharge" and the 25% total refit cost needs to be less than the build cost of the "base" ship.  There is some other math which comes into play. 

Using Colony ships as "base class" ships will tend to get you far in limiting the amount of retooling needed.
si vis pacem, para bellum

The following users thanked this post: Marslettuce