Author Topic: Logistics management  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Thrake (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
Logistics management
« on: April 20, 2020, 03:31:49 AM »
Any tip in handlind it conveniently for scouts? I'm pumping out scouts left and right, the standing orders work wonders however there are just two conditional orders but 3 values to update.  I'm starting to have scouts blowing up in space, I think because they do not overhaul.  I tried to setup a manual order from time to time, but it's easy to forget poor people in a lost corner of space  :'(

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
Re: Logistics management
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 03:34:32 AM »
Carriers?

Have the scouts land on them, then have the carriers set to do maintenance and overhaul?

I don't know, just throwing things out there... I haven't gotten too far into C# yet.

The following users thanked this post: Thrake

Offline Thrake (OP)

• T
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 06:22:30 AM »
Yes, that's an interesting idea! I'm still very early on, I did not think of using parasites yet with pre-historic technology, but one ship focusing on logistics and jump drive while dedicating parasites for survey sounds like a good idea.   I could also use the mothership for grav scout logistics. 

Though I'm not sure it would actualy decrease manual output.   Well, in a way it would since all the parasites should require an overhaul at the same time rather than one by one. 

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 09:48:30 AM »
Carriers?

Have the scouts land on them, then have the carriers set to do maintenance and overhaul?

I don't know, just throwing things out there... I haven't gotten too far into C# yet.

Given that carrier ops are a mess of micromanagement at the moment, I wouldn't think so.

- - - - -

Yes, that's an interesting idea! I'm still very early on, I did not think of using parasites yet with pre-historic technology, but one ship focusing on logistics and jump drive while dedicating parasites for survey sounds like a good idea.   I could also use the mothership for grav scout logistics. 

Though I'm not sure it would actualy decrease manual output.   Well, in a way it would since all the parasites should require an overhaul at the same time rather than one by one.

Are you runnig an old version of the software where the "resupply at 20% MSP" conditional is bugged and doesn't ever activate?

Do you have five-, fifteen-, or even twenty-two-year deployment times on your ships?  Lots of crew quarters tonnage, lots of fuel, very long maintenance lives?

If your ships are blowing up, you probably need to massively increase the amount of on-board MSP storage, or at least the rate at which they reload MSP.

There's also the little quirk that if a ship goes home because it's low on fuel, it won't load maint supplies while there.  That's a separate order, and so at best the ship flies home, refuels, flies most of the way back to survey, turns around, flies home again to rload MSP, then flies back to the survey, then pretty soon flies home again for more fuel.

in short, unless there are supply ships or colonies in the system being surveyed, it's probably best not to rely on conditionals to keep your ships in fuel, MSP, and crew morale, and instead program trips home for overhaul, etc.  Leave the default & conditional orders for mucking around in-system and plan your movement between systems.

Offline Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 10:18:50 AM »
Would you be happy with commercial-sized sensors on your scouts? If so, make commercial scouts, and don't worry about maintenance lifespans.

Offline Thrake (OP)

• T
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 11:36:18 AM »
Quote from: Father Tim link=topic=10949. msg126076#msg126076 date=1587394110
Are you runnig an old version of the software where the "resupply at 20% MSP" conditional is bugged and doesn't ever activate?

Do you have five-, fifteen-, or even twenty-two-year deployment times on your ships?  Lots of crew quarters tonnage, lots of fuel, very long maintenance lives?

If your ships are blowing up, you probably need to massively increase the amount of on-board MSP storage, or at least the rate at which they reload MSP.

There's also the little quirk that if a ship goes home because it's low on fuel, it won't load maint supplies while there.   That's a separate order, and so at best the ship flies home, refuels, flies most of the way back to survey, turns around, flies home again to rload MSP, then flies back to the survey, then pretty soon flies home again for more fuel.

in short, unless there are supply ships or colonies in the system being surveyed, it's probably best not to rely on conditionals to keep your ships in fuel, MSP, and crew morale, and instead program trips home for overhaul, etc.   Leave the default & conditional orders for mucking around in-system and plan your movement between systems.

I'm playing the "old" version from Sunday, 1. 6. 3 (updated from 1. 6. 2).  I am using the resupply at 20% MSP order yes.  The big plan was that everything would need to be refilled at the same time (fuel, supply, rewind clock).

I'm under the noob ban, here's a link to screenshot if you want some context:
https://imgur. com/0OQ38Qe

The following users thanked this post: thashepherd

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 12:12:51 PM »
Well, it takes 100 MSP to stop your engines blowing up and you only have 72 MSP on board, so that explains that.

The following users thanked this post: Thrake

Offline Thrake (OP)

• T
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 12:52:37 PM »
Right, thanks for pointing this out.  I was adding only engineering spaces to my designs and was feeling satisfied as the maintenance life was increasing.  It's been a while since I last played Aurora and forgot about using maintenance storage too!

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 01:26:43 PM »
What i do is use combined cruisers that do both grav and geo. Standing order 1 is survey bodies, standing order 2 is survey locations. They have 5-year endurance and ~7 year maint lives. I use them in waves, so when I notice one reporting severe maintenance issues or starting to suffer morale issues i recall all ships from that wave. 

Offline thashepherd

• Chief Petty Officer
  • t
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 01:28:53 PM »
That's exactly what I do as well! Used separate vessels for geo and grav for years back in VB, but the attention economy gains from combining the two tasks are MASSIVE. All have ~60 month deployment times and around 150 billion kms worth of gas IIRC.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 01:34:38 PM »
There's no mission like a 5 year mission ;)

The following users thanked this post: thashepherd

Offline Scud

• Petty Officer
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 01:53:15 PM »
Do combined grav/geo survey ships automatically transit to unsurveyed systems now? I find that I have to divide them between geo/grav because there aren’t enough default order options.     I have geo survey ships set to “survey body > move to system requiring geosurvey” and gravs set to their analogue, but doing both seems difficult to automate, because something has to get left off.   

Additionally, I so BADLY wish there was a conditional order to “if Maint clock 90% > Move to colony, overhaul, resupply, refuel”
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 01:56:41 PM by Scud »

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius

Offline thashepherd

• Chief Petty Officer
  • t
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 05:51:04 PM »
Do combined grav/geo survey ships automatically transit to unsurveyed systems now? I find that I have to divide them between geo/grav because there aren’t enough default order options.     I have geo survey ships set to “survey body > move to system requiring geosurvey” and gravs set to their analogue, but doing both seems difficult to automate, because something has to get left off.   

'No' and working as intended AFAIK as of 1.5.1 (and I don't recall seeing Steve post anything about changing that).