Author Topic: Commanding by parent formations  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Ektor (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • E
Commanding by parent formations
« on: April 20, 2020, 04:54:10 PM »
I just built my formations too big, and now I'll ned to build smaller ones, but I deleted some military ranks and it would look weird if I were to give the smallest formations to my lowest rank officers. I of course can still do that, but my question is: If I don't build HQs in a formation, but build them on a parent formation, will the lower formation still get commander bonuses as normal?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: Commanding by parent formations
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 05:05:42 PM »
I just built my formations too big, and now I'll ned to build smaller ones, but I deleted some military ranks and it would look weird if I were to give the smallest formations to my lowest rank officers. I of course can still do that, but my question is: If I don't build HQs in a formation, but build them on a parent formation, will the lower formation still get commander bonuses as normal?

If you build your formations bigger, then as long as they are still within the Officer's command rating they will get the same bonus.  If you build a separate formation (but still within the hierarchy) with no HQ, then they will get no (own) commander bonus and higher commander bonuses at the usual reduced rate.

The following users thanked this post: Ektor

Offline Ektor (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 05:06:55 PM »
What's that reduced rate?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 05:11:16 PM »
What's that reduced rate?

Go to the C# Mechanics forum, open the Table of Contents thread, and check out the ground forces topics (might be the officer bonuses one) to find out.

But off the top of my head, one-quarter per level.  (So 1/4th one up, 1/16th two up, 1/64th three up, etc.)

The following users thanked this post: Ektor

Offline HeroicHan

• Petty Officer
  • H
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 05:45:31 PM »
So I too had some questions on this, as there is no way to see the effect commanders have directly on troops like there was in vb6.
In vb6, if you assigned a guy with ground combat %, then you could immediately see the strength of the unit update.

There's not really any way to verify this in C#. Offense gives hit chance. Defense gives the inverse through fortification, but doesn't show anywhere, it's just a hidden modifier in combat.
So on and so forth for artillery and the rest, there is no way to see the direct effect of any officer.
Except through training; Training % will let you get to a Morale of 100+(5*%). A training bonus of 10% lets you get to 150 morale.
So I tested, I put a 10% Training officer with sufficient capacity on my lowest level unit.
I put a 20% training officer as the parent.

Everyone had enough HQ And Command rating to facilitate their own stack, and attached stacks.

But my lower formation still capped at 150 morale.

So if higher formations aren't providing ANY bonus, what is their purpose?