Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 357711 times)

Offline Llamageddon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #495 on: October 14, 2020, 04:34:55 PM »
Don't quote me on this, but Spacemarine's youtube tutorial said that they could.

Update:

I checked, it sounds like it.

From the Gospel According to Steve: "Forward Fire Direction allows a front-line unit (more on that later) to direct the fire of bombardment units from a formation in a support position, fighters on close air support missions, or ships in orbit." http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg105824#msg105824
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 04:39:50 PM by Llamageddon »
Currently using Aurora 1.12 - Unmodded

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #496 on: October 14, 2020, 06:59:06 PM »
A quick question about light bombardment units. Is it correct that they will fire from support position?

Light Bombardment will fire if they are on a support or frontline position so yes. They lack the range to fire to or from the rear echelon position however (same also true for medium bombardment).
Light Bombardment is also special because it is the only form of ground artillery that fires during the standard combat phase alongside everything else.

The following users thanked this post: Llamageddon

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #497 on: October 14, 2020, 08:09:50 PM »
Don't quote me on this, but Spacemarine's youtube tutorial said that they could.

Update:

I checked, it sounds like it.

From the Gospel According to Steve: "Forward Fire Direction allows a front-line unit (more on that later) to direct the fire of bombardment units from a formation in a support position, fighters on close air support missions, or ships in orbit." http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg105824#msg105824
That's out-of-date.  FFD only matters for fighter and orbital support. 

Offline Llamageddon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #498 on: October 15, 2020, 11:13:01 AM »
Oh dear, I got that off the wiki. I should try and update it I suppose. Do you know what update it was changed in?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #499 on: October 15, 2020, 12:17:39 PM »
Oh dear, I got that off the wiki. I should try and update it I suppose. Do you know what update it was changed in?

Steve never explicitly stated that it got changed. You'll have to follow the ground combat / bombardment posts he made chronologically to see when the artillery needs FFD changed.

Offline Llamageddon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #500 on: October 15, 2020, 12:50:57 PM »
I've had a look at the wiki and quite a bit of it is out of date, I think I will put it off for now. I don't want to go changing things without trying to reference the change having been mentioned at that seems a bit time consuming at the moment. I'll get back to my game for now  :-X

Offline ArcWolf

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #501 on: October 16, 2020, 02:44:23 AM »
For a defensive station that will always be over a colony with Maintenance facilities, do I have to worry about the AFR%? I feel like 1 engineering space and maybe a maintenance bay for extra MSP (combat repairs) is all I need.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #502 on: October 16, 2020, 05:01:12 AM »
For a defensive station that will always be over a colony with Maintenance facilities, do I have to worry about the AFR%? I feel like 1 engineering space and maybe a maintenance bay for extra MSP (combat repairs) is all I need.
Consider these scenarios:
1) transporting the station from the building location to the deployed location
2) if a fleet arrives in orbit (for refueling or such) and brings the colony over its support limit then the maintenance clock on the station will start ticking up and maintenance failures could start occurring.
3) a component takes combat damage and needs to be repaired but your DCR is only 1. Any broken components will take a very long time to repair, potentially taking the station out of combat.

Absolutely none is probably unwise but minimal could work.

Offline Llamageddon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #503 on: October 16, 2020, 12:34:58 PM »
Absolutely none is probably unwise but minimal could work.

It is unwise, first game I played I tried towing my station with 0 MSP on a ~1 month trip, it had a catastrophic failure on the way out of system.

Offline Llamageddon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #504 on: October 16, 2020, 12:37:20 PM »
Are Standing/Conditional orders to get tankers to refuel from harvesters and tranfer to colony working? I've tried using the 'Harvester Transfer and Return' and 'Transfer Fuel to Colony' options but all the time my tankers just keep going back anf forth with an empty tank.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #505 on: October 16, 2020, 02:41:48 PM »
They work for a fuel harvesting ship but not really for a station-tanker combination. The best way is to make a manual order for the tanker and have it cycle it endlessly.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #506 on: October 16, 2020, 03:13:49 PM »
They work for a fuel harvesting ship but not really for a station-tanker combination. The best way is to make a manual order for the tanker and have it cycle it endlessly.

Agreed, this is what I do:

Build the station and tanker to fit that station. Adjust cycle with set speed (remember to untick use max speed) to have half year rounds (1 year back and forth).

As you add stations either build an extra tanker or refit the existing.

Pro tip: If you need more steady supply arrange different smaller tankers to cycle faster. 1,000,000 production either 1 refill per year or 2 refills (1x500,000 every 6 months).

Offline Llamageddon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #507 on: October 16, 2020, 05:28:08 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I was using one large tanker on order delay. I acutally made a spreadsheet to calculate the ideal delay. Maybe altering speed it a better option. Would the fuel use be the same either way?

Offline jscott991

• Petty Officer
  • j
« Reply #508 on: October 16, 2020, 09:19:25 PM »
This is a silly question but it's bothered me for a while and I finally can't figure out a workaround. 

How do I drag units to drop them in something that doesn't show up on the screen without scrolling?  So, for example, I want to drag some artillery from my Replacements formation to drop into 1st Division, which has suffered casualties.    Replacements, though, shows up at the bottom of Earth's very long list of forces and 1st Division is at the top.    I can't seem to scroll once I'm "holding" something so it has always seemed to me that I could only drop things into something that shows up on the initial screen without scrolling. 

For navies, I solved this problem by just creating a lot of silly Admin HQs and Fleets that can always be collapsed. 

But I can't seem to do that with ground units.    Each HQ has to be built.    Since I only have division-level HQs right now, that means 25 divisions are shown on Earth.    Not to mention all the survey battalions, mineral battalions, and construction battalions, that don't have division-level organizations. 

There has to be some basic interface command that I'm missing. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 09:20:58 PM by jscott991 »

Offline Llamageddon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #509 on: October 16, 2020, 10:19:15 PM »
I think you may have found a design flaw there, maybe someone knows a solution. Arrow keys don't work. I didn't think of ground units not being able to easily be put into admin groups. I was using the same solution as you on the navy.