Author Topic: Opinion needed on first colony location  (Read 1707 times)

Offline stamasd (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
Opinion needed on first colony location
« on: May 08, 2011, 08:25:28 PM »
I need an opinion.  Where to make my first colony? I have 3 potential sites.

1.  on a planet containing alien ruins, 1 jump from Earth.  Alien ruin exploration so far has turned 220 usable infrastructure, nothing else (4 more complexes to explore, 3 done so far).  Colony cost there is 2x, based on: too little oxygen (0. 02pp), temperature -16 degrees and no water present.

2.  1 jump away from the Earth, planet orbits the smaller sun in a binary system (and because of that there's a long way between the jump point and the planet).  Cost is 2x, based on: no oxygen in the atmosphere, but no poisonous gases either (81%CO2, 15% N2 and 4% Ar).  Temperature is +4 degrees and there is liquid water.

3.  3 jumps away from Earth (and 2 jumps past #1), planet similarly orbits a minor partner in a multiple system which makes for a long trip from the jump point.  Colony cost is 1. 48x.  There is water (ice) and the atmosphere is breathable without any modifications (18% oxygen at pp of 0. 14, remainder N2).  Temperature is -102 degrees.

So, which looks better?

(I have already started colonizing #2 before I discovered #3, but the ships are still on their way and I can turn them back). 

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
Re: Opinion needed on first colony location
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 09:03:49 PM »
I would personally pick based on the mineral availability for the bodies and their systems.

Water is not a factor. The only effect it currently has is if ice sheets melt, the albedo of the body will change to give a warming boost.

Actually, I'd probably try to colonize them all at once, and then bitch about how long it was taking. :P

Offline Detjen

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 09:17:52 PM »
  Hmm I would take the one with alien ruins,  as I believe they become a resource commodity for your community and though the third one has a better multiplier it is farther away.   though mineral availability is probably a bigger factor,  I also like the idea of colonizing them all at once might as well take them all now

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 10:49:55 PM »
Alien ruins first.  You've already got some stuff there, clearly.

But, gotta catch em all!  Even worlds without minerals can comfortably house scientists, grow more babies, and attract shipping.

Offline Tarran

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 12:27:16 AM »
All of them. If not for any practical reasons then just so you can feel proud about your (possibly worthless) habitability 0 worlds and high population growth rate.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 12:31:02 AM by Tarran »

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 08:35:41 AM »

1.  on a planet containing alien ruins, 1 jump from Earth.  Alien ruin exploration so far has turned 220 usable infrastructure, nothing else (4 more complexes to explore, 3 done so far).  Colony cost there is 2x, based on: too little oxygen (0. 02pp), temperature -16 degrees and no water present.
Its such a small site its not worth it if the ruins are the sole reason. probably easier to discover what you can and then ship it somewhere useful using freighters
2.  1 jump away from the Earth, planet orbits the smaller sun in a binary system (and because of that there's a long way between the jump point and the planet).  Cost is 2x, based on: no oxygen in the atmosphere, but no poisonous gases either (81%CO2, 15% N2 and 4% Ar).  Temperature is +4 degrees and there is liquid water.

3.  3 jumps away from Earth (and 2 jumps past #1), planet similarly orbits a minor partner in a multiple system which makes for a long trip from the jump point.  Colony cost is 1. 48x.  There is water (ice) and the atmosphere is breathable without any modifications (18% oxygen at pp of 0. 14, remainder N2).  Temperature is -102 degrees.

In the final analysis it depends on the minerals avaliable, your terraforming capabilities  & racial stats, and the relative round trip time for colony ships & freighters ) - Assuming that the round trips are similar, and you have decent TF capabilities I'd go with the one that was liable to get to Cost 0 quickest which would depend on how much of the required gases you have to add (O2 for 2, Safe Greenhouse for 3) - my suspicion is that it would be 3 but there isn't really enough info to go on
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline zirman

• Chief Petty Officer
  • z
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 09:43:14 AM »

How did you explore the ruins? i found a site but i didn't find a way to explore them
thanks
The Universe is Infinite only if you hold it into your Mind!

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 10:09:19 AM »
First you have to drop a xeno-team there (formed in the F2 screen).
After they have done their work (you will get a message in the event log with a name of the alien empire and how many buildings are in recoverable state), you need engineering brigades to recover those buildings.

Both, team and brigade work automatically, just drop them.

Note: Use a ground officer with a high xenology rating to increase the chance to restore a building
Ralph Hoenig, Germany