Author Topic: terraforming when do you stop?  (Read 2138 times)

Offline DAVIDARCNO (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • D
terraforming when do you stop?
« on: January 27, 2016, 11:08:15 AM »
When terraforming a planet, I realize when the colony cost reaches 0. 00, the planet is habitable without infrastructure.   Does anybody keep on terraforming to make conditions more Earth-like, or do you just stop and go to the next planet?

Offline Mastik

• Lieutenant
  • M
Re: terraforming when do you stop?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »
I try to make it "liveable" after reaching 0.000.  Roughly 10-30C if i can.

The following users thanked this post: DAVIDARCNO

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 11:32:49 AM »
I try to make them more livable (Earth-like atmosphere). Getting it to 0.2 Oxygen, Greenhouse/Anti-greenhouse gas to bring temp to around 14* C, and the rest is Nitrogen, all without going to far away from 1 pressure.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 08:54:16 PM »
In my game 0.0 basically is livable, as I've narrowed the habitability 'band' if you will somewhat.  So I'll just be moving on, when it gets to that point. 

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 11:28:47 AM »
I try to make them more livable (Earth-like atmosphere). Getting it to 0.2 Oxygen, Greenhouse/Anti-greenhouse gas to bring temp to around 14* C, and the rest is Nitrogen, all without going to far away from 1 pressure.

Dont forget - removal of every ounce of dangerous gas like ammonia, methane etc.
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 12:35:59 PM »
As I usually role-play my campaigns it really comes down to which nation is terraforming a planet, why they are doing so, what resources they have available and how many other tasks are waiting. However unless I role-play a really smegty nation or one which has too much to do with too few resources, I aim to make planets Earth-like. There is of course no real mechanical reason to do so.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 01:43:13 PM »
For me it always depends on what I want to use the colony for, so for example in all my games I have a habit of making Mars the main research planet in my civilization. With this in mind when I terraform it I tend to only push the temperature up to around the minus 5 mark, this is just warm enough that folk could move about in the right clothing. but it also means those big science computers have a planetary cooling system built in. Other planets I might decide would be a perfect tourist type beach planet aka Star Trek Rigel and as such these will be left warmer than Earth.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 07:44:29 PM »
There is of course no real mechanical reason to do so.
There's one super niche reason.  A planet on the (cold) edge of habitability is more vulnerable to orbital bombardment dust wrecking its climate. Of course, that only matters if the planet suffers serious bombardment, so....