Author Topic: New to Aurora  (Read 2682 times)

Offline BenD (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • B
New to Aurora
« on: June 15, 2011, 12:50:31 PM »
Hey I just wanted to express how helpful this forum is and how much fun I'm already having with this gem of a game! Unfortunately I'm still having trouble with missile design and fire controls and the like on ships (I can drop nukes at least) but I'm still having fun.

Thanks and I hope the game continues to improve!

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
Re: New to Aurora
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 06:27:36 AM »
Hey I just wanted to express how helpful this forum is and how much fun I'm already having with this gem of a game! Unfortunately I'm still having trouble with missile design and fire controls and the like on ships (I can drop nukes at least) but I'm still having fun.

Thanks and I hope the game continues to improve!

U r Welcome, in Steve's name,our Ur-.Quan Master:)

Aurora are ever on improve mission...we can help a lot,Steve's work with ideas and other suggestions.

Free to tell him in Suggestions forum.

Admiralty Earth.
Waresky

Offline Marc420

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 05:45:36 PM »
Hey, I just wanted to say thanks.

IMHO, most of the commercial 4x games have been going the wrong direction.   I see an emphasis on glitzy looking 3d space battles that are shallow and simplistic in their mechanics.   Of the mechanics of worlds and their development being skewed to quickly cranking out those 3d ships for more simple, but admittedly good looking space battles.

I do a little programming myself.   So, for the last couple of years I'd been making some notes on and off about what a 4x game I would write would look like.   I'd get frustrated with something in one of the recent commercial games, and I'd start writing about what I'd rather do if I started programming.   

I think you stole my notes!  :)

I'd played surface naval games, including Harpoon and some WWI and WWII surface combat games, so one of the things I wanted was a combat system more like that.   And, I always liked games that had ships "realistically" slow to build.   Which makes the ships more valuable and not something to be thrown away in a 3d battle.   And I love the system of designing missiles and turrets and the like.

I'm just starting to dive in and figure out some parts of this game.   But, I wanted to say thanks.   Seems like you are writing the game I've been wanting to play for awhile now.   :)  The good news is that I can focus on another game idea of mine, and not be sidetracked into thinking about a 4x game project.   The bad news is the hours I'm sure I'll have a wonderful time wasting playing your game.   :)

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 03:57:52 AM »
 Welcome!  I too have been looking for something in a space strategy game, and nothing seems to scratch the itch.  I was into distant worlds for a while-- but that didn't quite do it.  I'm especially enamored by meaningful ship design and the logistics.  To be perfectly honest, the game I really want in the depths of my soul is spore melded with aurora

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 11:32:56 PM »
'spore' was such a disappointment to me

Offline HallowedError

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • H
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 01:16:43 AM »
Quote from: ardem link=topic=3746. msg36678#msg36678 date=1309408376
'spore' was such a disappointment to me

Yeah.  I was hoping for actual evolution mechanics and I got a level up system.  And none of the other modes came even close to making up for it.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 02:44:12 AM »
I wanted the space expansion and exploration on a nonlinear time axis.

But instead all I got was OMG HELP GROK every other minute until the last moment I played it.

Offline shireknight

• Petty Officer
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 11:16:06 PM »
I would also like to say thanks to Steve, I have never seen a game as detailed and deep as this before, I've clocked up well over 20 hours over the last 3 nights (I work 12 hour nightshifts and have been playing it on the laptop pretty much non-stop) I can't believe how many options are in here, it seems like Steve has thought of every possible contingency anyone could want to do and then some lol.

In 20 hours all I've managed to do is design some basic ships based on a tutorial, jump to another system and explore it (worked that out all by myself  ;D ) barely scratch the basics of terraforming, start to mine and settle a close by planet and seriously confuse myself to hell while trying to design my very first fighter.

This is truly an awesome game  8)

And yep Spore sucked, I really expected some top-notch Simulation of the evolution of life on Earth or alien planets but really it was nothing but a collection of arcade games packaged together. Considering the games Will Wright made or was involved with in the past Spore really is his failing moment -I'm amazed he's even allowed his name to be associated with it to be honest.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 12:32:59 PM »
I'll add my voice to the mix - I've been playing Aurora for three days straight now and its amazing! Thanks Steve for making and for keeping at it!

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 04:11:18 AM »
Thanks for the thanks :)

Always good to hear that someone is enjoying the game.

Steve

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 08:17:54 AM »
Thanks for the thanks :)

Always good to hear that someone is enjoying the game.

Steve

*grin

We need..SHIPS ICON on System map..for better feeling and some..RPG aproach them..

u HATE icons..i see:)

Offline kantoandrew

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • k
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 08:17:50 AM »
I too feel like this game is the answer to my incessant search for an excellent 4x game.  I've been playing for 4 days now (recent convert from a post over at DF) and I just wanted to add to this thread to thank you steve for making such a wonderfully enjoyable game.
Incidentally, this is the first time ive ever joined a forum for a game, and I've done so simply because I think I really do want to become involved in this game.

To STEVE!   ;D

Offline Necro910

• Able Ordinary Rate
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 12:49:02 PM »
Quote from: kantoandrew link=topic=3746. msg39614#msg39614 date=1315660670
I too feel like this game is the answer to my incessant search for an excellent 4x game.   I've been playing for 4 days now (recent convert from a post over at DF) and I just wanted to add to this thread to thank you steve for making such a wonderfully enjoyable game. 
Incidentally, this is the first time ive ever joined a forum for a game, and I've done so simply because I think I really do want to become involved in this game. 

To STEVE!   ;D
Bay12ers, UNITE!

Indeed this is a glorious looking game.  I can't wait to move ahead 5 seconds!
Admiral: Prepare the breaching squads to board. 
Lieutenant: But sir, you wrote here that you want them to board the ship into the fuel tank! Won't that.  .  . 
Admiral: Yes.   It shall be GLORIOUS!