Author Topic: Community game redux  (Read 2794 times)

Offline Panopticon (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Community game redux
« on: August 15, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
As the previous community game seems to have petered out I thought I'd try to gauge interest in another one, albeit with somewhat different parameters.

I've been running this style with my friends for a few months and it seems to work pretty well, basically each player plays the role of a single faction and sets general policy and direction for the faction, IE their international policy, general trends in research, and long term goals of exploration. They hammer out agreements with each other in public forums or private messages and give their results and decisions to me via PM, then I advance time and work on the details.

My latest game with my friends included a mercantile oriented Arab empire. A xenophobic and hostile Holy European Empire, and the ever practical Russians. They each took distinctly different paths into space and squabbled, spied on, and traded with each other while doing so. For my part I designed the ships, ran the combat, and the exact details of construction and research, I also designed a Pirate fleet composed of ships stolen from all the factions based out of Titan and ran that as a villain till they got their act together and blew them away.

Would anyone be interested in playing this type of community game?

Offline dalord0

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
Re: Community game redux
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 04:06:19 PM »
I would be very interested.  :)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 06:05:31 PM »
I'd be interested but I'd need to hear more.  By 'factions' do you mean multiple groups working together to run a single government, or would they be separate but competing empires all starting from a single planet (like so many of the earth-based campaigns in the Aurora fiction section)?

If we're jointly running a single empire, how does decision making work?  Majority rules? Secret ballot? Each player has a number of 'influence points' to spend to sway policy to their chosen path?  Everybody controls 1/5th of the research labs?

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 06:39:18 PM »
I'd be interested as well.

How closely would you keep this to Aurora? From what you write it's more of an abstract control the players have over their faction - I don't know what past community game you're refering to as I haven't been around for so long, so I'm eager for all the details you could give =)

Offline Panopticon (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 07:14:03 PM »
Father Tim, I usually run it with several separate but competing empires starting from the same planet, if you've read Steve's Trans-Newtonian campaign reports it is essentially like that.

I suppose there is nothing stopping a couple players, if they agree, from joint control of an empire though.

Vynadan, it is kinda abstract yeah, think of it as simply roleplaying without a set of rules in front of you. People can be as precise as they prefer.

The way I ran my last one is I provided the players with their starting resources, they would give me general or specific direction for how their faction would go forward and interact with other factions, then I would advance time for a while (exact time was not specified, could be a few months, sometimes a couple years) until something interesting happened, a goal was met, new designed ships were completed, an attack begun, or ruins discovered, things like that.
Once an event hit I stopped progression and did a report to the group of all the information that their factions would reasonable know, classified stuff would be reported to the individual via PM.

The players in turn would have private negotiations between each other, the results of which were reported to me. As well as public announcements and meetings which all could see. This allowed people to trade tech and resources, make and break alliances publicly or privately, and so on.

The level of detail in guidance is totally up to the player, you could present me with a list of tech research and goals and have me not deviate from it, or you could say something like "The Free Republic of Manila wishes to put a mean armed satellite into space as soon as possible, we are open to trade for the required technologies." And then just let me figure it out from there.

Though for trade I'd hope you guys could work out your own deals between each other, it was a part of the game my other players enjoyed.

Offline mavikfelna

• Lieutenant
    • http://www.geocities.com/mavikfelna
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 09:50:17 PM »
I'd be interested.

--Mav

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 02:46:43 AM »
I now imagine it as a sort-of interactive fiction going on between several authors ... Sounds fun :)
Though dependent on the increments the players would need to be very active or just wait a while ... but that gives time to write nicely about what happened ... Yeah, I'd definatly like to have a go xD

Offline shadenight123

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • Gamer's thoughts-my blog
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 07:57:34 AM »
i'd be interested to participate. 
as a 97% noob it would be interesting! i'd be like the mascotte empire.  (Hetalia!)
people die all the time, it's not a problem.
it is if you're sending them to die.
i'm not. they just need to learn to be better.
at NOT BREATHING ON MARS!?
they need NOT TO CARE!
my blog (updated 17/12/2011) (updated every saturday):
http://shadenight123.blogspot.com/

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 09:50:38 AM »
Sounds  like it could be fun - perhaps I should resurect the old Nuclear War state of Dementia!
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline Panopticon (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 03:45:29 AM »
So that looks like 5 people so far, that's a decent start, now we need to figure logistics I guess, specifically where to keep threads about this, I'd hate to just flood this one with the game stuff, might be a bit annoying for those who don't care to read it.

Also those of you who want to play should think about what kind of faction you want to run, create your character concept essentially.

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 03:57:01 AM »
Perhaps ask for your own Fiction Section on the roleplay forum area.

Offline dalord0

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 04:11:57 AM »
I was thinking of playing a xenophobic, espionage based, closed-borders Israeli empire, where the Mossad have taken over the entire government, displacing most of the civilian leaders.This would mean a strong espionage presence and an aggressive stance towards exploration and colonisation. This may not be conducive to trade, but there would still be some civilian leaders who fight the takeover, namely in the trade sectors. Remember: When everyone is out to get you, it's your job to know about it.

Offline shadenight123

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • Gamer's thoughts-my blog
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 05:22:37 AM »
my empire would be an italian meritocratic country led by a group of scientists
we would be set quite far into the exploration and exploit of the world for the research of SCIENCE!
But all while staying under a Fascist form of government.
people die all the time, it's not a problem.
it is if you're sending them to die.
i'm not. they just need to learn to be better.
at NOT BREATHING ON MARS!?
they need NOT TO CARE!
my blog (updated 17/12/2011) (updated every saturday):
http://shadenight123.blogspot.com/

Offline Panopticon (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 05:26:51 AM »
classy, anyone know who I should message to ask for my own section?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 05:29:16 AM »
classy, anyone know who I should message to ask for my own section?

That would be me.