Author Topic: lost in space (lone fighter)  (Read 2154 times)

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
lost in space (lone fighter)
« on: September 14, 2013, 01:51:52 AM »
Hi,

3 new questions please!

I have a drive failure on a fighter, in space. How do I repair the engine, knowing the thing has no maintenance points? I must tow it or scoop it into a mother ship? Is it possible to have a ship repairing another one, in space?

EDIT: I have one fighter orbiting Earth with another drive failure... I thought that the maintenance facility on Earth would fix it, but nope... How can I repair it?

Second question, I have a commander with 800% fighter combat bonus! That seems awesome, but what the exact effect? Doing x9 damages with his fighter?

last, how do you handle targeting of 80+ fighters?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 03:02:28 AM by Nibelung44 »

Offline icecoldblood

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Re: lost in space (lone fighter)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 03:47:49 AM »
1) No, you cannot repair it if it has no maintenance capacity. As for the fighter on Earth, fighters cannot be maintained by maintenance facilities and require a mothership to carry out maintenance and repairs.

2) Not sure

3) Place your fighters into squadrons in the Fighter Squadron Screen(F7). This will place them in the same task group when they launch,  allowing you to direct them to a single target or you can do this in the combat overview screen.

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 04:26:09 AM »
ok! So I need at the very least to build a ship with a boat bay, and then when the figher is in, it will be repaired automatically?

Offline icecoldblood

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 09:29:24 AM »
Well first the "rescue ship" will need an engineering space and enough MSP (Maintenance supplies) to repair the damage. Once you order the fighter to land in the ship repairs will be carried out automatically.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 10:03:41 AM »
Second question, I have a commander with 800% fighter combat bonus! That seems awesome, but what the exact effect? Doing x9 damages with his fighter?

BTW, this is due to a known bug.

John

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 12:46:41 PM »
And the fighter combat bonus applies to weapons accuracy, not damage.

Offline Wolfius

• W
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 04:05:54 PM »
Do be mindful that while a PDC fighter base(should you opt for one), while able to maintain fighters and rewind their maintaince clocks, can't actually repair anything, as it cannot hold any MSP even if you give them the right components.

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 03:26:51 AM »
Thanks!

Now a weird one, I have 17 fighters in overall over Earth (rewind clock), and yet their clock continue climbing?

Offline icecoldblood

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 03:33:59 AM »
Thanks!

Now a weird one, I have 17 fighters in overall over Earth (rewind clock), and yet their clock continue climbing?

Maintenance facilities cannot rewind Fighter clocks. In fact I don't think its possible to rewind fighter clocks at all.

EDIT: looks like I was wrong, Fighter maintanence clock can be rewinded by motherships.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 09:29:31 AM by icecoldblood »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 07:21:12 AM »
You have to dock them into a mothership, then their maintenance clock will go down and they should also get repaired.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Wolfius

• W
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 07:28:29 AM »
You need to put fighters in a hangar to rewind their maintaince clocks or keep them from advancing.  This will happen automatically, no need to set an overhaul order.

So long as you don't actually need to fix anything on them, a planetary defence center with hangars will do(no need to maintain fighter base PDCs or retool your shipyards, which makes them a nice alternative at times).  You can also fit other ships into hangars is there's enough room, incidently, if you ever want to combine a PDC hangar for storage and a small, simple carrier for repairs as the PDC can't hold maintaince supplies and thus can't conduct repairs).

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 11:51:52 AM »
ok!

Last one on fighters, how do I scrap them properly, without wrecks? SY can't recycle them.

Offline Wolfius

• W
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 01:16:30 PM »
Economics window, Industry tab.  There should be a button in the upper right labled stockpiles.  That brings up menu that includes, amoung other things, a list of fighters in orbit, including the option to scrap selected fighters.

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 12:49:32 AM »
saw that after posting, but thanks, you are a very helpful  lot :)