Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 263534 times)

Offline MehMuffin

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #270 on: June 14, 2012, 11:26:51 AM »
Well, I have a few fighter wings and some frigates under construction, but for something in between I'm building some FACs. However, I can squeeze on 25 box launchers, but I have to shorten the maintenance life to 3 years (Using a tiny engineering module), so is it worth it to skip some maintenance for more launchers?

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #271 on: June 14, 2012, 12:25:02 PM »
Most people will tell you that dedicated combat craft do not need a maintenance life greater than 2 years.  Combat craft will spend much of their life in orbit at a colony. 

For my purposes smallish FAC squadrons have done well to satisfy early game extra-sol system defense requirements and only in that role I have been giving them increased maintenance cycle time until a system would be able to staff and supply it's own maintenance facilities.

Offline Redshirt

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #272 on: June 14, 2012, 03:15:44 PM »
Just started playing two days ago.  Three years into my first real game, I get my first hostile contact- a geosurvey team investigating Proxima Centauri B IV, one jump from Sol, detected a thermal signature.  I decided to turn on transponders and say "Hello. " 5 seconds later, a missile salvo slammed into one of the two ships on the team and blew it to pieces.  I immediately turned transponders off on the other ship and bugged out at max speed.

I'm hoping it's a planet-bound race with missile defenses; of the four shipyards I started with, the biggest two are commercial.  I was in the process of adding max tonnage to the Naval shipyards, but suddenly find I need ships with weapons. . .  and the largest I can build are 10k tons.

Meanwhile, the rest of the fleet is still trying to figure out how to mine.  Asteroid mining modules aren't as self-explanitory as I'd hoped. . .
Living up to my username. . .

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #273 on: June 14, 2012, 04:04:29 PM »
10k Military ship is pretty big.  Military ships typically run 10% of the size of the commercial ships you can build at any given time.

Offline Redshirt

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #274 on: June 14, 2012, 05:58:11 PM »
Good to know.  Anyway, when I finally got a gunship there, one more missile salvo was launched, which the gunship destroyed, and then nothing more happened.  I still have no clue where the missiles came from; the survey team was called back and found nothing.  Active sensors show zip.

Either a leftover trap from a long-gone alien race, or- the more worrisome possibility- there's a cloaked spacecraft watching the task group complete its survey.

From now on, I'm designing my jump capable geosurvey craft with both active sensors and point-defense lasers.
Living up to my username. . .

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #275 on: June 14, 2012, 07:27:26 PM »
Good to know.  Anyway, when I finally got a gunship there, one more missile salvo was launched, which the gunship destroyed, and then nothing more happened.  I still have no clue where the missiles came from; the survey team was called back and found nothing.  Active sensors show zip.

Either a leftover trap from a long-gone alien race, or- the more worrisome possibility- there's a cloaked spacecraft watching the task group complete its survey.

From now on, I'm designing my jump capable geosurvey craft with both active sensors and point-defense lasers.

Could have been a minefield.

Offline MehMuffin

• M
« Reply #276 on: June 14, 2012, 08:26:20 PM »
Is putting fighters through training exercises worth it? They keep misjudging distances and running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere, so I set them to refuel at 50%, but now I can't run for more than a few days without an interrupt because they completed orders... :P

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #277 on: June 14, 2012, 09:11:58 PM »
Easiest way I have found to train fighters is a "fighter station" specifically for that purpose.

I build a station, big hangers, big fuel tanks and a couple of engines. The engines are just enough to give it a high single digit or low teens movement rate. Put the station in orbit, assign it to a "Fighter Trainer" task force, and then load the fighters up on it.

Assign a commander to the station with good training, making sure he is the highest rank of any officer assigned to the station OR the fighters.

Then set the task force to train and voila! Your fighters get trained up without constant interrupts.

Since the station is so slow, it never gets far from earth, BUT it counts as a ship, so you get training. Once done, you can assign the trained fighters anywhere, including PDC fighter bases.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #278 on: June 14, 2012, 09:38:48 PM »
What Arwyn is getting at is that carriers will train assigned fighter squadrons along with itself if the carrier is sent on a training mission.

Offline MehMuffin

• M
« Reply #279 on: June 14, 2012, 09:45:28 PM »
Ah. Probably should have built a carrier... I've been running with only a few fighter bases on earth for defense, so no mobile hangar equipped units. Should my fighter task groups stay separate from their motherships, or can they launch while still in the same group? This is my first time using anything smaller than a corvette, so I'm a little lost...

Offline Shininglight

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #280 on: June 16, 2012, 07:38:19 PM »
Currently rebuilding the 1st destron and giving out medals after invading an npr homeworld, still trying to pacify teh locals & stop shipbuilding without blowing up the precious shipyards, also grooming anew command as a hit to the fbridge killed half of them. 15 000 tonne gauss ships are bad for parti beam facs in a related development....
Admiral Damien James Winter, Defender of the Proxima Gate.

Offline dgibso29

• Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #281 on: June 16, 2012, 08:10:45 PM »
Particle beam FACs are hilarious. I had a lot of fun with those one game.

In my game (Conventional start, 2025), it is 2063 and my Lunar colony is at 1.75 billion colonists. I suppose I should start thinking about giving it a name...
Meanwhile, the navy is beginning to expand, and industry is thriving thanks to the bountiful mineral reserves on Luna (space master who?)

Having a blast this game!

Offline Shininglight

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #282 on: June 17, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
Keep up the good luck, The locals on the planet are still refusing to submit to my benevolent nuclear backed rule.... we'll see how 23 strength 4 missiles changes their mind, also i think some precursors in a system i found a while a go are in a fight, they're no longer camping my jump point and i'm getting five sec increments...

Finally finished capturing the planet, got lots of nifty jump tech even though the game is set for JG's on all JP's.... aw well, also got particle beam 6 and captured two MASSIVE naval shipyards, 16500 and 15000 tonnes respectively, hot dog, once my magneto plasma engines are online it's time for some cruisers!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:53:41 AM by Shininglight »

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #283 on: June 17, 2012, 01:18:53 PM »
http://i.imgur.com/CR3gD.png

o.O

I think I broke the universe.

Offline Shininglight

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #284 on: June 17, 2012, 01:29:10 PM »
http://i.imgur.com/CR3gD.png

o.O

I think I broke the universe.

What did you Do sir?
0 0
 _