Author Topic: Pre-fab PDCs  (Read 4635 times)

Offline Bandus (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
  • Discord Username: Bandus#6943
Pre-fab PDCs
« on: November 20, 2012, 10:27:36 AM »
So, I'm a bit confused about prefabing PDCs. They seem to cost the same as building the actual PDC, but then seem to cost additional resources to "assemble." I just want confirm my idea of the "steps" necessary to properly use a pre-fab PDC are correct. From what I understand, the steps appear to be:

1. Construct prefab PDC for the same cost as building a PDC.
2. Transport prefab PDC to destination location
3. Assemble prefab PDC (which costs more resources)
4. Use PDC as normal?
"Just this once --- everybody lives!" - My Doctor

Offline Mailo

• Leading Rate
  • M
Re: Pre-fab PDCs
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 10:30:38 AM »
That sounds about right, but honestly I've never checked if the prefab production used the same amout of resources as the regular one . . .  I either need prefab ones (because the planet that it will be built upon has no significant construction capability) or not.

If it helps you at all, I usually forget about the resource cost for assembly on the planet I transport the prefab parts to, making a second trip necessary  ::)

Offline vonduus

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is your captain speaking
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 12:29:25 PM »
So, I'm a bit confused about prefabing PDCs. They seem to cost the same as building the actual PDC, but then seem to cost additional resources to "assemble." I just want confirm my idea of the "steps" necessary to properly use a pre-fab PDC are correct. From what I understand, the steps appear to be:

1. Construct prefab PDC for the same cost as building a PDC.
2. Transport prefab PDC to destination location
3. Assemble prefab PDC (which costs more resources)
4. Use PDC as normal?

That is what I do, and it seems to work alright. I had some problems on an ininhospitable world, but it was due to a bug that will be fixed for next version.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 12:32:42 AM »
This is correct.  Think of the extra cost as an overhead required by ability to ship and assemble remotely (packing materials? :) )

John

Offline madpraxis

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • m
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 01:59:41 AM »
It isn't Ikea, you need to supply your own nuts,bolts, and washers. Lots of washers. All made out of space age materials. Very much not like Ikea. Also need to feed and supply a bunch of bachelors to put it together (Much like Ikea).

Offline Jumpp

• Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 08:15:57 AM »
You'll want to use pre-fabs only in cases where you've got a world with little industry that needs a PDC.  You do most of the work at some big-industry world, move the bits, and then do only the final assembly in Possum Holler.

Online Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 02:24:02 AM »
It says that the PDC comes in sections.  How big is a section in terms of freighter lift?  Does 1 section take 5000 cargo or 25,000 cargo?

Offline Bandus (OP)

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 11:42:32 AM »
Each section of pre-fabed PDC is 5,000 tons.

Online Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 01:47:24 AM »
Thank you, I had moved a PDC but could not recall if I used my heavy lifter or my tramp freighter to do it.

Offline Traveler

• T
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 01:25:53 PM »
What capability or resources are needed to assemble the PDC when it gets to it's destination?

I plan to make a prefab PDC on Earth, and ship it to Mars to be assembled.  Will the assemble option appear in the menu when I get it to Mars or will I need something, like a construction battalion?

Offline Bandus (OP)

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 01:26:54 PM »
Might I recommend this wiki article to answer that: http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=PDC

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 01:37:53 PM »
I find the extra minerals required at the destination to build these an unnecessary micro-management hassle.   If its a cost issue, roll it up into the manufacturing process.   I just SM the minerals needed at the destination if I need them.

Offline Bandus (OP)

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 01:42:46 PM »
I tend to agree with you on that SteelChicken. I wish it worked that way too. It's kind of a pain. But typically speaking the amount of minerals is so small that just loading them at the same place I built the prefab PDC isn't an issue. Either that, or the place I transport to happens to be mining the needed minerals anyway in most cases.

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 01:53:40 PM »
I tend to agree with you on that SteelChicken. I wish it worked that way too. It's kind of a pain. But typically speaking the amount of minerals is so small that just loading them at the same place I built the prefab PDC isn't an issue. Either that, or the place I transport to happens to be mining the needed minerals anyway in most cases.

It is not a resource issue, the amount of minerals is trivial to me.  Its all the extra clicking to get them there that's a pain.   Like batteries, they should come included, not ordered, shipped and assembled separately.  That's just micro-management for the sake of mm.

Offline Traveler

• T
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 02:25:56 PM »
Might I recommend this wiki article to answer that: http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=PDC

Thank you.  I'd read that before but I'd forgotten.

From the wiki: "The destination of the PDC will require both minerals and the ability to generate construction points to complete the assembly of the PDC".

I don't have CF at the destination.  Will a Construction Battalion do the job?