Author Topic: Is there a tutorial on how to design a fighter?  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Foolcow (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • F
Is there a tutorial on how to design a fighter?
« on: January 27, 2011, 10:57:55 PM »
According to the wiki, each engine technology provides a dedicated fighter version.  And I do have, in my "completed" techs section, a tech called "Nuclear Thermal Drone Engine:  1 per MSP" which I assumed should let me design and build fighter engines.  But I don't see it listed as an option in the Create Research project screen.  So how do I make a fighter?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Is there a tutorial on how to design a fighter?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 11:04:34 PM »
Drone Engines are for drones :)

Fighters require fighter engines. When you design a fighter, one of the drop downs has Ship/Gunboat/Fighter.

Offline Tarran

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 03:05:52 AM »
Quote from: Erik Luken link=topic=3196. msg30814#msg30814 date=1296191074
Fighters require fighter engines.  When you design a fighter, one of the drop downs has Ship/Gunboat/Fighter.
Er, I think you meant engine.

But yeah, when designing an engine you can switch from military>commercial>gunboat>fighter engines.

Offline Foolcow (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • F
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 10:42:56 AM »
Er, I think you meant engine.

But yeah, when designing an engine you can switch from military>commercial>gunboat>fighter engines.

Thanks

The problem was I didn't realize before that there is a tech (costing 12000 RP) which I need to start developing fighter engines.

Offline Starkiller

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 06:56:32 PM »
Fighters are tricky as they MUST be under 500 tons in order for Fighter Factories
to build them. Fighters are limited in what they can carry, so you need to remember
a few things.

Fuel. A fighter really needs only enough for 24 hours max. As you research fuel based
techs, you'll have access to smaller fuel tanks. I wouldn't bother with shields or armour
because most fighters will die with one hit anyway. Their speed and size is their protection.
Missles, using box launchers once you have the tech, should be the weapon of choice.
My Aracatuba fighters each carry 4 size 10 missiles in box launchers. They return to the
carrier to rearm.

I think you can remove the bridge, as ships 1000 tons and under don't need one.
I don't think you need engineering either, which saves more space. For close-in,
in your face, fighter strikes, the meson cannon is best, as it ignores armour and
shields to strike directly at a ship's vitals. Only does 1 damage, but that can destroy
a lot of systems. For inspiration, check the ship design forum. Hope that helps.

Eric