Author Topic: Newb Help  (Read 3981 times)

Offline Arjuna (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • A
    • http://www.panthergames.com
Newb Help
« on: December 30, 2009, 01:46:05 AM »
Hi all,

I'm just trying to install and get started. I've installed version 4.75 and patched it to 4.77. However, something dosn't seem right.  I'm trying to follow the Tutorial document. Here is the opening text:

"When you launch Aurora, you are presented with the Game Detail screen. This screen, by default shows the last game selected (Usually Steve’s campaign). To create a new game, click the New button. I’ll present the steps as they are shown to you.
1. You are asked for a starting year. Type in the year your campaign starts at and click OK.
2. Next you are asked if you want Aurora to create Sol and create a race on Earth. If you select No, you will need to create your own starting system and race. We’ll click Yes for now. See Tutorial 1a for creating a new system/race."

Now I'm not asked anything. Rather I am presented with a small screen consisting solely of a menu bar with menuas for Game, SpaceMaster, Empires, Calculations, GameParamters, Miscellaneous and Help. So I thought that the tutorial document was a bit dated. I opened the Select Default Race menu item from the Game menu. This opened a list window called Select Rave without any entries and immediately opens a message window warning that no races have been created. Clicking OK dismisses the warning message but there is no options to create a race.

So I'm thinking that something has gone wrong with the installation and I'm missing the race data files. My Aurora game directory has 14 files:

[list=]
[li] Aurora.exe
[li] 10 x bmp files
[li] ST6UNST.000
[li] ST6UNST.LOG
[li] Stevefire.mdb[/list]

What if anything is missing? Or is there something else I need to do?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Newb Help
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 05:49:38 AM »
Quote from: "Arjuna"
Hi all,

I'm just trying to install and get started. I've installed version 4.75 and patched it to 4.77. However, something dosn't seem right.  I'm trying to follow the Tutorial document. Here is the opening text:

"When you launch Aurora, you are presented with the Game Detail screen. This screen, by default shows the last game selected (Usually Steve’s campaign). To create a new game, click the New button. I’ll present the steps as they are shown to you.
1. You are asked for a starting year. Type in the year your campaign starts at and click OK.
2. Next you are asked if you want Aurora to create Sol and create a race on Earth. If you select No, you will need to create your own starting system and race. We’ll click Yes for now. See Tutorial 1a for creating a new system/race."

Now I'm not asked anything. Rather I am presented with a small screen consisting solely of a menu bar with menuas for Game, SpaceMaster, Empires, Calculations, GameParamters, Miscellaneous and Help. So I thought that the tutorial document was a bit dated. I opened the Select Default Race menu item from the Game menu. This opened a list window called Select Rave without any entries and immediately opens a message window warning that no races have been created. Clicking OK dismisses the warning message but there is no options to create a race.

So I'm thinking that something has gone wrong with the installation and I'm missing the race data files. My Aurora game directory has 14 files:

[list=]
[li] Aurora.exe
[li] 10 x bmp files
[li] ST6UNST.000
[li] ST6UNST.LOG
[li] Stevefire.mdb[/list]

What if anything is missing? Or is there something else I need to do?
The Tutorial is several versions old and the procedure for a new game has changed :)

Steve

Offline Arjuna (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 05:08:32 PM »
Steve,

Thanks for your reply...much appreciated and makes me want to persevere.

OK I hit New but I don't see anything like you describe. Rather it just refreshes the same Game Details window. This window has 11 fields, including the Game Name, orgainised into two columns with a furhter four buttons at the bottom for New, Save, Delete Game and Select. I'd add an image here but I don't see anywhere here to upload one and I'm not about to go through the hassle of finding a place to temporarily store them. Suffice to say that the window has Max Number of Systems set to 1000 and the Recall window positions and Use Aurora Themes boxes checked. Other than that all other fields remain the same. However, the New and Save buttons now show Save and Cancel and the Delete Game and Select buttons are inactive.

If I just hit Save, I get a warning message saying "Please enter a unique Game Name. Fair enough. I enter "test1" and hit Save. I get the following error message:
"Error 3265 was generated by DAO.Fields. Items not found in this collection. Please report to stevewalmsley@btinternet.com."

I've tried entering passwords. But still get the same message when I save.

I've checked all the boxes on the right, excluding Set this as the default game. Bingo, the 3265 error message goes away. Testing each combination reveals that Orbital Motion for Planets/Moons must be checked to avoid the 3265 error. I suggest you hard code this and remove the checkbox.
However, trying to confirm this, I got the error message again using the same combination. After spending half an hour trying to discern the rhyme or reason of a workable combination only proves to me that this is not reliable.

In any event, on the occassions when it does get past the error message it asks me for the password. I enter this and then the main menu bar appears. There is no large window titled "Create New Game".

So what am I doing wrong?

Offline Arjuna (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 05:27:50 PM »
Steve,

My aplogies,

But I just realised you can upload attachments. Here's a copy of the screens I see.

[attachment=2:10t33m4q]Initial Game Details Screen.jpg[/attachment:10t33m4q]

[attachment=1:10t33m4q]Create New Game.jpg[/attachment:10t33m4q]

[attachment=0:10t33m4q]Error 3265.jpg[/attachment:10t33m4q]

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 06:13:29 AM »
Steve,

My aplogies,

But I just realised you can upload attachments. Here's a copy of the screens I see.

[attachment=2:1f7x42jg]Initial Game Details Screen.jpg[/attachment:1f7x42jg]

[attachment=1:1f7x42jg]Create New Game.jpg[/attachment:1f7x42jg]

[attachment=0:1f7x42jg]Error 3265.jpg[/attachment:1f7x42jg]
Thanks for the screenshots - they always help a lot. It appears you are using version 0.1 rather than the latest version. When you installed the game, did you carry out step 3 of the install instructions and unzip AuroraUpdate475.zip into the install directory and answer yes to overwriting two files?

Steve

Offline OJsDad

• Petty Officer
  • O
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 03:54:14 PM »
Arjuna,

I'm new to Aurora also.  I've just downloaded 4.77 and installed.  The screens you posted don't match what I have on my screen.  That may be part of the confusion.    Here is what I have;

I think you'r launching the older version of the game.

Steve,  I found your game through  your posts on Wargamer.com in the 4x thread.  I've got the same handle there as I do here.  Jarhead and Starfury are correct, you'r in a serious need of a manual or major update to your wiki.  I know I'm brand new to Aurora, but I would be glad to help out with that if I can.  I've been in IT for a long time, and learned long ago that it takes an expert to create a manual, but a novice to make it usable  :P

I've been playing around with the idea of waning to create a 4x space game.  I've not done much with, just some scribblings.  I'm tring to get organized and at put everything down on paper.  I don't think I'll ever do much with it, except to use visual basic or c to create some player aids to the paper rules.

From the little I've seen so far, it looks like you have a great deal of detail in your planets/star systems, ships and technology.  I'd be interested to see what, if anything else, you plan to do with economics.  I want to see what you have in this version and may PM you some questions comments.

BTW, when creating a game, what is the difference between a Trans-Newtonian Empire and Conventional Empire

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 05:36:03 PM »
Quote from: "OJsDad"
Steve,  I found your game through  your posts on Wargamer.com in the 4x thread.  I've got the same handle there as I do here.  Jarhead and Starfury are correct, you'r in a serious need of a manual or major update to your wiki.  I know I'm brand new to Aurora, but I would be glad to help out with that if I can.  I've been in IT for a long time, and learned long ago that it takes an expert to create a manual, but a novice to make it usable  :P
Any help is always appreciated. Comments on how to make the tutorial better would be welcome. Some other players have also written parts of the Wiki and Erik Luken wrote several tutorials for an earlier version. Erik is also the Admin for the forums.

I've been playing around with the idea of waning to create a 4x space game.  I've not done much with, just some scribblings.  I'm tring to get organized and at put everything down on paper.  I don't think I'll ever do much with it, except to use visual basic or c to create some player aids to the paper rules.

From the little I've seen so far, it looks like you have a great deal of detail in your planets/star systems, ships and technology.  I'd be interested to see what, if anything else, you plan to do with economics.  I want to see what you have in this version and may PM you some questions comments.
The game is always growing so there will no doubt be some additions to economics in future version. For example, in v4.8, the industrial capacity will be split into construction factories, ordnance factories and fighter factories.

BTW, when creating a game, what is the difference between a Trans-Newtonian Empire and Conventional Empire
A Trans-Newtonian Empire starts with basic tech so they can create some components, particularly engines and a few basic weapons. They also have a lot of factories and mines and some shipyards. A conventional empire starts with nothing but some conventional industry that can gradually be converted into factories, mines, etc. All the tech will have to be researched so it will years before you even make it into space. It's useful for campaigns starting in the present day but hard work if you are a beginner.

Steve

Offline Arjuna (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 06:04:49 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Steve,

My aplogies,

[attachment=2:3lcmq1b4]Initial Game Details Screen.jpg[/attachment:3lcmq1b4]

[attachment=1:3lcmq1b4]Create New Game.jpg[/attachment:3lcmq1b4]

[attachment=0:3lcmq1b4]Error 3265.jpg[/attachment:3lcmq1b4]
Thanks for the screenshots - they always help a lot. It appears you are using version 0.1 rather than the latest version. When you installed the game, did you carry out step 3 of the install instructions and unzip AuroraUpdate475.zip into the install directory and answer yes to overwriting two files?

Steve

OK now I am getting a little confused. But that's probably because I am battling a summer cold and my poor ol' brain just isn't firing on all fours at the moment. I think it best I uninstall everything and start from scratch. Can you please advise what files I need to download, where I should get them from, and the exact sequence for the installation. In particular, when do I unzip that AuroraUpdate475.zip file. Is it before I run the setup or after. Because doing so before doesn't ask me to overwrite anything.

Offline Arjuna (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 06:09:36 PM »
BTW just a wee bit of advice from someone who has trod this "game design" path before. I recommend you provide comprehensive installers at each version update, unless it's just replacing the game exe file. Work on the KISS principle of keeping it simple stupid. That way you reduce the pain threshold for new people. Alas the pain threshold isn't that high for most people.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 06:14:40 PM »
OK now I am getting a little confused. But that's probably because I am battling a summer cold and my poor ol' brain just isn't firing on all fours at the moment. I think it best I uninstall everything and start from scratch. Can you please advise what files I need to download, where I should get them from, and the exact sequence for the installation. In particular, when do I unzip that AuroraUpdate475.zip file. Is it before I run the setup or after. Because doing so before doesn't ask me to overwrite anything.
The instructions are in the post containing the link to the install file. I'll list them here as well

1) Download AuroraInstall and unzip it. You will have four files called Aurora.CAB, Setup.exe, Setup.LST and AuroraUpdate475.zip
2) Run Setup.exe. This should run a standard Microsoft install program, installing to the default C:\Program Files\Aurora directory
3) Unzip AuroraUpdate475.zip into the same directory and answer yes to overwriting two files.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 06:17:10 PM »
BTW just a wee bit of advice from someone who has trod this "game design" path before. I recommend you provide comprehensive installers at each version update, unless it's just replacing the game exe file. Work on the KISS principle of keeping it simple stupid. That way you reduce the pain threshold for new people. Alas the pain threshold isn't that high for most people.
The patch process is usually just a case of unzipping a downloaded file into the install directory and answering yes to either one or two overwrite questions (one for exe only updates and two for data updates). I update the main install every few versions.

Steve

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 07:38:17 PM »
Regarding the wiki (which I admin also ;) ), you need to have a forum account to create an account there. Though as with any wiki, anonymous edits are allowed. Feel free to update the wiki (and this goes for anyone). I'd be doing more on it, but I've been busy with playtests of my RPG.

Again, if anyone feels they are able to contribute to the wiki, go ahead and add to it. Even if it is rudimentary in nature, hopefully others will flesh it out.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 05:00:36 AM »
I like this game.
2 years ago was Newbee.
NEver found difficult or not answered questions,ive posted there.

So am send a very best wishes for New Year.

Ty for awesome game.
Ty for make me happy in Space farer adventure in Aurora...sometimes boring situation happens ok..but 5%,rest of 95 are the Dream Game:)

Am too much friendly? not.

Am sincere.

See ya

W 2010---hope  got work and health-

Apologies for my bad english mates.:D